Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to Canada!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ah Winnipeg is weird like that. Was in the 20s in Toronto today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

iamstop wrote: »

This is supposed to be late spring, nearly summer! :eek:

:D

Vancouver next few days

faass3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I was just going to say the same as Ciaran67! The weather has been beautiful for the past few days and due to get warmer. Picnic on the beach planned for the weekend.

It's hard to believe so many people are still misguided about Canadian weather, thinking we are living in the tundra 365 days a year. From my time here, Vancouver weather is pretty much the same as Ireland. Except it rains more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Tiddlers wrote: »
    I was just going to say the same as Ciaran67! The weather has been beautiful for the past few days and due to get warmer. Picnic on the beach planned for the weekend.

It's hard to believe so many people are still misguided about Canadian weather, thinking we are living in the tundra 365 days a year. From my time here, Vancouver weather is pretty much the same as Ireland. Except it rains more.

Wait til summer kicks in. Honestly, anyone from Ireland complaining about the weather! Unless you've emigrated to Iceland or perhaps Orkney, its only going to be an improvement. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I just read about the PATH in Toronto yesterday. It's an innovative idea, but any city where it's so cold that people huddle underground for 3-5 months of the year is a bit too much for me lol. Mountains protecting Vancouver from the snow? Four, real seasons and a warm summer? *rush of suitcases out front door*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I just read about the PATH in Toronto yesterday. It's an innovative idea, but any city where it's so cold that people huddle underground for 3-5 months of the year is a bit too much for me lol. Mountains protecting Vancouver from the snow? Four, real seasons and a warm summer? *rush of suitcases out front door*

Not at all, Toronto winters are short and very bearable! It's a dry cold so IMO a -2 back home I find is harder to tolerate than say a -10 here. Here unlike Ireland it doesn't get into your bones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Tiddlers wrote: »

It rains more than Ireland-is there 8 days in a week there? :-)

Phonehead wrote: »
    Not at all, Toronto winters are short and very bearable! It's a dry cold so IMO a -2 back home I find is harder to tolerate than say a -10 here. Here unlike Ireland it doesn't get into your bones

Was back in Dublin in February and -2 there felt colder than anything we had in Toronto this year (and it hit about -22/25 at one stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Is that one-off temperature difference? We've had a few very snowy, icy winters in Ireland in the last few years but previously, that was less common of course.

Are you two really living in the same city? :eek: The last 2/3 winters, what temperatures might you face? I read on the Canadian govt. website it says the lake on the south of Toronto moderates the winter effect, called the 'lake effect', has anyone noticed that? Also, I hear a lot of Torontonians mentioning a very, very humid summer but I think I'd be fine with that, I lived in Italy. It's the cold I'm worried about lol.

It does get cold, sometimes in the -20s, but it's a LOT worse than it sounds tbh. You get used to it quite quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

COYVB wrote: »
    Was back in Dublin in February and -2 there felt colder than anything we had in Toronto this year (and it hit about -22/25 at one stage)

I noticed this too; I felt colder in Ireland when I went home at Christmas than what I felt here, despite the temperature being way lower here! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

We went from winter to summer here in Calgary. Few weeks back we had snow, last week we've had 4 or 5 days it's been over 25C! Yeaterday was 27 & today it's 28and sunny!

was snowing here in Oshawa today... mental stuff

Advertisement