Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Lecturer

Options
  • 02-05-2013 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I'm looking for advice, since I left college I have had 2 jobs trainee accountant 1 year and banking credit analyst 2 years! I was looking into becoming a business/accountant lecturer at 3rd level. Has anybody got any advice? What quals do I need? Many jobs about? Payscale? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Your query would be best addressed to the Education area, as it unlikely that buiinsess people would have this kind of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

As Peter said, you will most likely get better information in the Teaching & Lecturing forum.

However in general to become a Junior Lecturer in a University, at a minimum you would be expected to hold a Masters degree in your subject area. To have a realistic chance, you would also need to demonstrate your interest in specific areas of research. Quite often when Junior Lecturer positions are advertised, there a question asking if you either hold a PhD, or are an enrolled doctoral candidate. It's rarely a strict requirement, but in reality, it probably is part of the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Check out www.publicjobs.ie to give you an idea of some of the lecturing jobs available at the moment and the requirements.

If it's something you're serious about you need to demonstrate that you can teach so apply to lecture part time in colleges or as evening classes not affliated to a college. Do grinds for leaving cert students.

But, yeah as BigGrayKettle said you'd probably need a Masters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Arjuna4

your job experience in the education is good and if you want to became a lecturer in the 3rd level than it will not bad for you...

bcoz you are not a learner but you are experienced..

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I'm heading down that road myself at the moment (just finishing my Masters) and none of the colleges will look at you if you don;t have a Masters.
    Your best path would prob be a masters and then see if you can get some part time hours in one of the private colleges.
    I'm not sure that you have enough industry experience-most of the colleges seem to want far more than 3 years . . .
    Maybe continue working, do a part-time masters and try and get some part-time hours and you'll be in a better position to get a full time position in about 3/4 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement