Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsum?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Any knowledge on the use of calcium sulphate. Planning a brew that recommends the use of 18g in total between mash and boil. Looked it up on thehomebrewcompany website and 28.3g per gallon is suggested here

That would mean i would have to dump a whole tub into a batch, confusing! I know water chemistry is a concern here, all i can say is what come from my well appears to be quite soft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

be careful with that one.
    calcium sulphate is used for example in apple wine to kill any unwanted yeasts and or bacteria. A little amount can remain in the final product as an sulphur taste.
    Also its linked to some allergic reactions.

There are some traditional german alternatives for the wort to kill any unwanted bacteria.
    http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.1/schiller.html

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Wasn't aware of the effects on yeast but the recipe definitely calls for it and it is used commonly in brewing. The reason i intend to use it is I suspect that the water from my well is quite soft and i'm trying to compensate for the deficiency. I suppose if i don't really know my exact water chemistry i'm only making educated guesses. Does anybody out there have experience of gypsum additions and required quantities.

On a side note can anybody suggest somewhere to get your water tested for mineral content?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

be careful with that one.
    calcium sulphate is used for example in apple wine to kill any unwanted yeasts and or bacteria. A little amount can remain in the final product as an sulphur taste.
    Also its linked to some allergic reactions.

There are some traditional german alternatives for the wort to kill any unwanted bacteria.
    http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.1/schiller.html

That's the first I have heard of that but I suppose it all comes down to concentration. I use small amounts (2-6g) of gypsum in 6 gallons to enhance the hop flavour. It does more than that but that is the simplest way of looking at it. Whereas they are recommending 28g/gallon which is nearly 170g of gypsum in a batch, if you added that much of any mineral it would be absolutely nasty and I guess this must also be a hostile concentration for bacteria.

I use this calculator for working out my water additions.

You can get your water tested here for quite a reasonable price but I haven't done so yet. I just base my water on my local water report. I'm looking for a link for that for you.

Beoir have a nice summary here of the Dublin water profiles, some of these will have changed slightly since it was last updated but it will give you a rough idea. If you want to find which water source you have there is a map of the greater dublin area here. If you are outside Dublin but in a city you should be able to find out some information though your local supply. If you have a private well then I'm afraid you will probably have to get it tested to see exactly what's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

deep apologies .. lost in translation

I think now know why my apple wine i just setup is so crappy ..

I propper deeper google enlightened me that I need Metabisulfite. Forget anything from me above.

I guess I need to poison my pharmacist who clearly sold me rubbish and has no clue about anything when looking for a substitution of Potassium Sorbate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

In fairness it does seem to be used to kill bacteria but just at much higher concentrations. You could probably use it as a sanitiser but it would cost you an absolute fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Shiny wrote: »
    That's the first I have heard of that but I suppose it all comes down to concentration. I use small amounts (2-6g) of gypsum in 6 gallons to enhance the hop flavour. It does more than that but that is the simplest way of looking at it. Whereas they are recommending 28g/gallon which is nearly 170g of gypsum in a batch, if you added that much of any mineral it would be absolutely nasty and I guess this must also be a hostile concentration for bacteria.

I use this calculator for working out my water additions.

You can get your water tested here for quite a reasonable price but I haven't done so yet. I just base my water on my local water report. I'm looking for a link for that for you.

Beoir have a nice summary here of the Dublin water profiles, some of these will have changed slightly since it was last updated but it will give you a rough idea. If you want to find which water source you have there is a map of the greater dublin area here. If you are outside Dublin but in a city you should be able to find out some information though your local supply. If you have a private well then I'm afraid you will probably have to get it tested to see exactly what's in it.

Ok those dosages seem to be way more inline with the recipe recommendations. It actually specifies 6g in the mash and 12g in the boil for 6 gallon batch. It's my own well so i think i'll get it tested

Advertisement