Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Year Old Golden Retriver Crying

• 02-05-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

WE got a letter the other day from a neighbour about our dog crying when we are at work, hadn't a clue he was doing it. Routine is, i work close by so he stays in the house till lunchtime and then goes out the back till my wife is home @ 4, he has kongs, toys, lots to keep him entertained for the few hours. Have to point out he the most loved dog, walked every day for at least an hour, with playing fetch. I have heard him crying a few times and it would break your heart :(. Any Suggestions much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe leave him inside? And there's a whole routine for acclimatising a dog to the idea that it's safe to be alone in the house, including *not* saying a big goodbye, but basically just walking out and leaving him there and assuming he'll be ok.

The other thing I'd try is bringing him for a short (15 minutes is fine) walk just before you go out. A nice walk where he can sniff and pee his way around his usual route, then back in the house, have your stuff ready at the door, let him off the lead into the house, pick up your stuff and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Will certainly give it a go. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah, keep him in the house and put the telly or a radio on for him. I find that the noise of the TV or radio prevents the house from being silent, and then every noise is accentuated. My bunch stay indoors at home during the day, with the radio on (Classic FM usually!) and they're very chilled out when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

yea I was just going to say the TV or radio aswell might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Labs are such Georgous dogs. V sorry to hear yours is so distressed when you are away. If the walk isn't doing it for him, & the indoors dosn't work have you considered a dog day-care? Takes the pressure off everyone, keeps the dog happy & occupied & typically costs about e10-13 per day ( Dublin ) - well worth considering IMO - & you poor pet won't be bored or lonely .

( not to mention your neighbour!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

+ one with the Doggy Day Care.
    I had a similar issue with my fella and we used DDC. Usually 2 days a week is enough. Tuesday and Thursday, it really tires them out so they spend most of the following day sleeping, you can tell that they love it too. Well worth the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

leaving a a radio on is excellent, also, leave an old jumper or something similar with your smell out, they often like cuddle up with it.

Advertisement