Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to live in first house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a property ladder. I think some people in Ireland misuse the word. The ladder is not a wealth making tool, and when one steps up to the next life stage/property, one sells the existing house/flat. Not keeps it as a BTL. That wasn't a property ladder operating. That was a ponzi scheme.

There is also no point looking back nostalgically and saying my pArents bought to live in til death etc. The property and labour markets were very very different then.

A good property Market has a good range of housing types for all life stages and all family types. We started that in the 90s with the original tax breaks to build apartments in inner city Dublin. Then the rotten governance and criminal lack of oversight began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Thanks for your thoughts, unfortunately I'm neither young nor single! :)

I'm pretty settled in my life and really wouldn't envision that changing in the medium to long term. So in that regard the apartment would have enough space.

I think myself now I'm thinking I may want to change in around 7 years.

Is there a potential for you to have kids. If yes, keep this in mind. If not well then an apartment would be totally adequate.

And the wanting to change part, that's natural. If your circumstances allow you too then fire away. But when you buy you can't just assume sure ill live here for a few years. You have to be happy with the fact that this could potentially be my home for the rest of my life.

Apologies I thought you were like myself in your early 20s!:)

Advertisement