Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something a little different-Sadr region in Cygnus in H-alpha

Options
  • 02-05-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Had a go at this the other night, first attempt with the H-alpha filter. This is the area around the star Sadr in Cygnus. Look at all that gas and dust! This is 11 600sec subs with flats.
    Didn't have time to get any darks, it was after 3 when I was packing up. I tried to get matching darks at home but cannot get the same temp. Subs were taken at 8deg but if I put the camera in the fridge (!) it goes to 11 or 12 deg and if I try the freezer (!!) it drops to 1 deg or less. I think I need to take them on a cold windy night to get near the 8 deg.
    Hope to capture this area in normal RGB and blend the 2 another time. Should look good in colour. Not happy with the grainy, noisy appearance but I think this is an issue when using narrowband filters with a DSLR as opposed to mono CCD (bayer matrix an all that). Don't think matching darks will improve it that much.
    SadrRGBflatsdarksprocHP_zps6c1d2a76.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Great image. Have you tried noise ninja for photoshop ? It's pretty good at clearing that kind of noise up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Great image. Have you tried noise ninja for photoshop ? It's pretty good at clearing that kind of noise up

Funny you say that. I downloaded the trial version last night, grids all over the screen until I purchase licence key. Its replaced by Photo Ninja so can't purchase the previous version. Not cheap either (130 dollars).

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Very nice shot, just goes to show what we cannot see with our eyes, amazing stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

De-noised a bit:

s64mcx.jpg

Can't wait to see it in RGB!

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    De-noised a bit:

s64mcx.jpg

Can't wait to see it in RGB!

Wow, much smoother, and it doesn't seem to have affected the detail much. Is that with noise ninja? I could be tempted to purchase it so!

• Advertisement

Sadrfullproc_zps6b04a566.jpg

Downloaded noise ninja, slightly better than original version.

Advertisement