Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic cameras at new junctions -- are they working or not?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I notice that the new cameras at the new junctions never appear to move or alter position, I've been watching them over the last week or so and they are always pointing the same direction.

They are supposed to be linked up the new Traffic control centre but they don't appear to be in operation.

The cameras are about the size of a tennis ball mounted above the junctions.

The hi tech (read expensive) control room was supposed to be up and running ages ago...
    http://www.photos.galwaynews.ie/23749-training-gets-underway-galway-traffic-control-centre

I checked the Galway Transportation Unit webpage and the last update was 2010...eh seriously hi tech (read unprofessional amateurs)
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/GalwayTransportationUnit/

Anyone got a clue if they work or the control room is operational ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Yes - It's operational.
    A friend was recently part of a group who got a tour of the control room.
    He said it's very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I saw some of the live feed from one yesterday. Looks like a very good system.

One of the questions I asked was whether or not the city council would fit red light cameras (the ones that catch people who run red lights). I was told that unfortunately they can't be installed here at the moment due to our laws; some traffic offences in the UK were decriminalised, meaning that they can use the red light cameras. Not so here.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

OK that's good to know, I must keep a closer eye on them...

Can the operator change the light sequence to alleviate build ups for one direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

buzz11 wrote: »
    Can the operator change the light sequence to alleviate build ups for one direction?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The cameras do move. When I pass by one or more of them, I see them pointing in certain directions; when I pass by again later, they are often pointing in different directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

boardzz wrote: »
    Yes

Do they change the flow though? Traffic always seems to be terrible at the Monaghan's garage junction coming from Claregalway while there is rarely much build up on any of the other sides of the junction.

EDIT spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Yes the whole point of the system was so the lights could be manually changed by an operator when traffic gets busy in certain direction. Up until 7pm.

Advertisement