Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippy tools required in Oz?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Carpenter heading to Oz, tool wise what should I bring ? just the basics , tool belt, hammer, tape , knife ? And what is expected of me to bring to a site when im over? skill saw, drill ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

I'm not a chippy, but from what i see, just bring the basics, most decent companies will supply the rest. 110V won't work, you might nees to buy them here, if you do keep reciepts for all tools, workwear etc. for tax back. Also i see alot of the chippy's doing alot of steel work, rooves, thruses etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

prices for tools seem high there but they are high in ireland as well

https://www.servicecentral.com.au/article/the-tools-of-an-aussie-carpenter/11/

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

tonydude wrote: »
    Carpenter heading to Oz, tool wise what should I bring ? just the basics , tool belt, hammer, tape , knife ? And what is expected of me to bring to a site when im over? skill saw, drill ?

Our formwork chippies would be expected to have the following. Belt, hammer, tape, knips, chalk line, knife and a shifter. Most of them would also have a square and a chisel.

All power tools would be supplied by the company.

I think doing domestic work, you would be expected to have a lot more tools including power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

s.c wrote: »
    a shifter

Whats a shifter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Whats a shifter?

image_zps2834436a.jpg

Dude, just take your basic hand tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Adjustable spanner, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭slattsteen

ya , youll prob need all thts been mentioned, will u have a car?? i find thats the biggest issue here! even laborours are kind of expected to have wheels. don't bring heavy tools with u, buy them here, v cheap on gumtree, for less than half price as i did, and ive sold them with no loss! its all metric here btw,framing is 450mm centres!i found that a bit weird at first

Advertisement