Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work paying for college how long do I have to work there

Options
  • 02-05-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

As the title says, I am with a company 4 years and starting a degree course in Finance 2 years ago. I didn't ask, paid for college myself and my boss 3 months later handed me a cheque for the college fees. He has also paid this years college fees, now, we are being asked to sign a contract and it says in it we have to pay everything back when we leave including college fees, but can I ask him to change it that I will work a certain amount of years after I qualify and then I don't have to pay it back ?

I also have never received a raise.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The raise is a seperate issue and I'd avoid bringing both up at the same time; secondly it depends on the company. All companies I worked for would have a X years clause for things like that (i.e. work 3 years after finishing a specific degree/course or pay back the cost) but it's not legally required I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Does it not specify the amount of years in the contract you are being asked to sign? My company is 2 years after the course is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sage4me

Hi Stillwaters,

No it doesn't actually specify in the contract and that is what I want to bring up that after x amount of time I am not required to pay back the amount they paid for my college. Obviously I wasn't planning of walking out the second I get my degree, but I also don't want to be thinking that in 4 or 5 years time that I will have to pay back everything. It just basically says that all monies and loans and college fees paid for my the company are required to be paid back in full when you leave.

There are a lot of things wrong with the contract that I have highlighted, except that one point as I just wanted to know the rule of thumb on it before I bring it to my managers attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I would query the first time that you were given a cheque, unprompted.

I would point out that no mention of paying this back was made at the time, and if they wanted to apply such a condition, I would expect it to apply only from then on, and not retrospectively. See what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

sage4me wrote: »
    It just basically says that all monies and loans and college fees paid for my the company are required to be paid back in full when you leave.
    This is basically an interest-free loan, nothing wrong with this.
    but can I ask him to change it that I will work a certain amount of years after I qualify and then I don't have to pay it back ?
    You can certainly ask, but it might be seen as a bit cheeky in the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sage4me

You see this is my problem, if my boss had of said listen 'x' if you decided to leave 2/3 years after you qualify you are required to pay all the money back that would have been fair enough, at least I knew, but I didn't ask him to pay for my college, he just handed me a cheque for the college amount and said that is for your college fee.

Now a new HR company have come in and it says that all monies have to be paid, I think I will bring it up in conversation before I sign it and see what reaction I get and keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement