Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most racist ad in history?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The Harp ad with the camel from Belfast was much much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

I think the lack of white guys in the line up may have been seen as racist, I know meant to be funny which I didn't find but yeah can see how it was pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's no more racist than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I suppose they could have used a range of actors from different ethnicities.... although it wouldn't strike me as being racist... still a fairly poor concept for an ad though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Henlars67 wrote: »
    How?

The suspected criminals are all black whereas the main police officer and the victim are white. This is why people don't like it. I'm sure that's obvious to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvLn9PWln8

The Kia Ora ad, terribly racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/the-most-racist-ad-in-history-pepsi-forced-to-withdraw-mountain-dew-ad-after-slew-of-complaints-29237986.html

How?

I see nothing racist about it at all. I presume it's supposed to be funny, though it's a poor attempt at it. Definitely not racist though.

You must be looking at a different ad, comparing black men to animals, and presenting them as the only suspects in violent crime is obviously racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They're all men, is it sexist too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

They're all men, is it sexist too? [/QUOTE

I'd say no but then they do have a fecking goat in it so have no case in the suspect being male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The suspected criminals are all black whereas the main police officer and the victim are white. This is why people don't like it. I'm sure that's obvious to you.

If the line-up was all white I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

You must be looking at a different ad, comparing black men to animals, and presenting them as the only suspects in violent crime is obviously racist.

Would any lineup have more than one ethnicity in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

If the line-up was all white I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem.

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The goat isn't black!

Stupid ad...its not one bit funny regardless of who is in the line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The ad was written by a black guy. If other black guys have sandy knickers over this, they should go talk to the guy who wrote it. Maybe it's offensive to some, maybe not. But it's not racist, and this is just another example of people reaching for the race card for the most negligible of justification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Everyone knows you cant be racist against whites, or sexists against men. Only women and non whites can be vctims

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...clever

again, if the line-up was all white would there be any fuss about it?

Pretty sure 'comparing' them to an animal wasn't the intention. The line-up of 3 people and a goat was obviously to have the (goat) suspect as totally different to the other people in the line-up, rather than similar as with line-ups in the real world.
    I'd imagine most people with non racist views would view it like that.

Those who view it as the goat being depicted as similar to the men in the line-up would be either racist, or one of those people who constantly seeks to be offended on behalf of others, which you regularly do on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Well, the black guy who wrote the lines obviously thought it was funny:

"The dialogue used in the ad, which was developed by African-American rapper Tyler the Creator, is an apparent word play on 'Dew It' - the slogan used to promote the drink."

EDIT: Beaten to it by Cavehill Red

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hill runner

Black man to White man toothpaste? The ad is everywhere in Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If I was mugged by an African-American, surely the line-up has to be made up of five African-Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

Regardless of the racism claim, am I the only one who finds a soft drink company using domestic violence as a basis for it's ad uncomfortable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's a line-up they're all going to be of the same ethnicity (except in the Usual Suspects and if one of them is a goat). I find it difficult to object to any complaint that would remove that ad from circulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

KFC - calming down a crowd of unruly black people with fried chicken. It is an Australian advert though and they've yet to really get to grips with the idea of racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Sounds like the ad is more a play on racism than actual racism to be honest.

Maybe people should lighten the f*ck up a small bit and concentrate on the real racism in society, there's no shortage of it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Meirleach wrote: »
    Regardless of the racism claim, am I the only one who finds a soft drink company using domestic violence as a basis for it's ad uncomfortable?

Say Wha?

BTW, the ad is spectacularly unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

domestic violence? if it were a domestic violence case, it wouldn't require a line-up. people need to stop searching for things to be offended by.

the worst crime of this ad is that it's shite

Probably.

But I bet I am not alone in being outraged by the heteronormativity of this ad and its utter failure to address the invisibility of the transgendered albinist persons of smaller stature community in the media.

Seriously, have you no bigger problems in your life than getting upset about imaginary things?

FTA69 wrote: »
    Sounds like the ad is more a play on racism than actual racism to be honest.

Maybe people should lighten the f*ck up a small bit and concentrate on the real racism in society, there's no shortage of it like.

Exactly, and all these false racism allegations mean that real racism is sometimes ignored. Those who try to find racism everywhere are actually a part of the problem rather than the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

If a crime is committed by a black man there would be no need for a rainbow of ethnicities in the line up.

No one is comparing black men to animals. I don't know what the point of the goat was, you should ask the black man who wrote it.

If I was going to generalise about a certain race on the basis of that ad, I'd say black men write **** adverts not that they are not they are animals or all violent criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's no more racist than this

You can't bate a bit of traditional hairy wrestling

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvLn9PWln8

The Kia Ora ad, terribly racist.
    The old Kia Ora ad was the first thing I thought of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

So it's racist because all the guys in the line-up (besides the goat) are black?
    I don't get it.

The implication is that the goat is guilty so the black guys are innocent and have just been rounded up to fill up the line-up. I'd be more inclined to interpret that as a commentary on racial profiling and the stereotypical association with young black males with criminality (and given the fact that Tyler the Creator wrote the ad I think it's much more likely that that is the case rather than any racist agenda).

I still don't like the ad though and it is insensitive the way the humour plays on the panic of a beaten woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Widows 8/HP think pad add is racist? How so?

Also, being offended should not give people special rights to censor cultural expression, even cultural expression as inane and unimportant as a soft drink ad.
    Things offend me all the time. I don't whine like a little b1tch about it. I just think "whoever said/wrote/did that thing is a dick" and on I go about my day. Some people have made a living out of being professionally offended, usually on behalf of other people who often couldn't care less. Those people offend me most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I would bet good money that the complaint came from Coca-cola.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Goats are people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Goats are people too.

People don't have four legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

How about Weetabix Skinheads?

Or the Lyons Tea Minstrels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

KFC - calming down a crowd of unruly black people with fried chicken. It is an Australian advert though and they've yet to really get to grips with the idea of racism.

The fried chicken stereotype is an American one so holds no great significance in Australia. The awkward situation is he's among fans of the opposing (West Indian) cricket team. I suppose they could have used the England cricket fans but West Indian cricket fans are famously boisterous so it makes for a more interesting ad.

I don't think the ad was intentionally racist nor would most Australians (especially the cricket fans targeted by this ad) view it as such but it's interesting that a company like KFC, with global reach, wouldn't have anticipated the international reaction to the advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This world is becoming TOO pc. It's not a funny advert but its in no way racist.

Oh and I hate the way people post 'Stewart Lee's pc gone mad' sketch on here when ever someone says the world is too pc. I shall now just link them to this thread :pac:

*awaits someone to post said sketch for poor attempt of getting thanks :p *

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Volkswagen ad that was banned.

Wattle wrote: »
    People don't have four legs.

You've clearly never been to Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/the-most-racist-ad-in-history-pepsi-forced-to-withdraw-mountain-dew-ad-after-slew-of-complaints-29237986.html

How?

I see nothing racist about it at all. I presume it's supposed to be funny, though it's a poor attempt at it. Definitely not racist though.

Especially since a BLACK man created the AD !!!

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=805461&gt1=28103

PepsiCo pulls Mountain Dew ad after criticism
    May 1, 2013, 2:33 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- PepsiCo is once again learning the risks of celebrity partnerships after an ad for Mountain Dew was criticized for portraying racial stereotypes and making light of violence toward women.

The soda and snack food company said it immediately pulled the 60-second spot after learning that people found it was offensive. The ad was part of a series developed by African-American rapper Tyler, The Creator, and depicted a battered white woman on crutches being urged to identify a suspect out of a lineup of black men.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

In fairness they all look like gang members..except the goat.
    I think thats probably meant to be the joke.

That ad looks like it was made to target young Americans most of whom are into hip hop, most hip hop stars look, act, and dress like those in the line up

Hip Hop today does more harm to African American image than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ok three things.

Firstly, the guys in the Lineup were Tyler, the Creator's Odd Future bandmates, who, as it happens are all black.

Secondly, if anyone thinks this ad is offensive, then don't ever buy a Tyler, the Creator album.

What I like about the ad is how quickly Odd Future have sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Ah you're right sorry !!

"We are not pursuing any damages," Volkswagen added.

I guess there's no such thing as bad advertising, like the Ryanair model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

My problem would be more about the unsettling screaming.

Also it doesn't make any sense. I don't see what anything in the ad has to do with Mountain Dew, other than one of the guys is holding some.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's amazing how many people seem to think that because a black guy wrote the ad, it's impossible that it could be racist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement