Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most racist ad in history?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I see nothing racist about it at all. I presume it's supposed to be funny, though it's a poor attempt at it. Definitely not racist though.
    You are officially a terrible judge of what is and isn't racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The ad for the windows 8 HP tablet that was on before it was full of white people being doctors too, not one black person in that hospital either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Meirleach wrote: »
    Regardless of the racism claim, am I the only one who finds a soft drink company using domestic violence as a basis for it's ad uncomfortable?

I sincerely hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It should be banned because it's a shit ad on top of being a bit stereotyping.

I loikes the Oirish soap ad me so I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'm drinking tea from my Lyons Tea Minstrels mug. I refuse to bow to political correctness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Reekwind wrote: »
    You are officially a terrible judge of what is and isn't racist

Is that all you can contribute? I've given reasons as to why it isn't racist. Maybe you could give some as to why you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Got to agree with the OP on this one. It's crap. Really crap. Not funny or quirky of clever at all. But it's not racist.
    To be honest the most offensive thing about it is that it's another one of these shitty ads attempting to "go viral," like that stupid fucking dancing pony, which in itself wouldnt be so annoying except they try to make it look like this natural progression that just happened because so many people got behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The suspected criminals are all black whereas the main police officer and the victim are white. This is why people don't like it. I'm sure that's obvious to you.

But a lineup needs to have similar looking people in it. Otherwise it's just pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvLn9PWln8

The Kia Ora ad, terribly racist.

Yeah, racsist for suggesting that its too orangey for crows? Its discrimination joe!

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvLn9PWln8

The Kia Ora ad, terribly racist.

Why? Because the cartoon character is black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Irish people suffered under colonial rule for centuries. (as the wolfe tones and all those armchair republicans won't let us forget) famine, evictions, the land wars, black and tans,. yet out of date oirish stereotypes can be represented in the media. when we are presented as raging alcoholics no one bats an eyelid. why? because our skin is light.

plenty of ethnic groups have painful histories. plenty of us have suffered. yet if the group being joked about isn't white it's horribly racist.

irish people like booze fighting and beating their women? hahah those crazy paddies
    english people have bad teeth? oh my god hilarious!

french people smell of garlic and surrender? haha those wussy french

black people like fried chicken? you can't say that. that's racist.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should only allow white people on the telly.
    Racist adverts problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

rusheen wrote: »

Just wondering, why is that racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Just wondering, why is that racist?

Making a joke out of the refugees landing on the beach

• Advertisement

rusheen wrote: »
    Making a joke out of the refugees landing on the beach

Thats racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i can see how it is racist but I wouldn't get to pissed of about it because I doubt it was intended to be racist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Thats racist?

Nope, but it was pretty funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

i can see how it is racist but I wouldn't get to pissed of about it because I doubt it was intended to be racist
    I find it a bit hard to imagine that any marketing company wouldn't know exactly what the public would think of any ad they make.

I'd say it was just an attempt at viral marketing, make something that might be considered mildly racist, give it limited release so it only annoys the right people, the PC mob start a war path.. Free advertising.

No its not racist at all.

Where does it suggest Aussies are superior/inferior?
    Where does it suggest those people coming off the boat are inferior/superior?

Maybe its offensive to some people
    Racist and offensive are not the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Would any lineup have more than one ethnicity in it?
    But a lineup needs to have similar looking people in it. Otherwise it's just pointless.

Are ye both suggesting that a lineup with a goat and 4 black men in it, is a lineup with one ethnicity or similar looking people.

Yes, a lineup would probably try to have people who look similar to the suspect but in that case, there should have been 4 goats alongside the suspect, not 4 black men. Those ads are quite racist and even aside from that, they are sh*t. What a stupid concept for a series of ads.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I find it a bit hard to imagine that any marketing company wouldn't know exactly what the public would think of any ad they make.

I'd say it was just an attempt at viral marketing, make something that might be considered mildly racist, give it limited release so it only annoys the right people, the PC mob start a war path.. Free advertising.

:eek: my god they're geniuses

No its not racist at all.

Where does it suggest Aussies are superior/inferior?
    Where does it suggest those people coming off the boat are inferior/superior?

Maybe its offensive to some people
    Racist and offensive are not the same thing

Aussies? it was an ad for mountain dew with a goat

wtf are you on

edit: had not watched that ad yet no I would not consider it racist, defiantly in bad taste but not racist. The bit with the boat people was cringe worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Allegations of racism in humour etc bore me.
    Most are made by pretentious twats trying to be "right on".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

ScumLord wrote: »

Spot on. There's no way they hadn't anticipated some controversy. You don't hire a rapper famous for being as offensive as he possibly can, to write an ad, and expect to receive "I'd like to buy the world a coke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

You think that's racist? You should see the website for bigbustycoons.com.

http://www.bigbustycoons.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

I think the lack of white guys in the line up may have been seen as racist, I know meant to be funny which I didn't find but yeah can see how it was pulled.

This is a common misconception. The add is not actually racist towards blacks (well it is slightly) but towards whites.

The restaurant setting is insinuating that whites hold hateful opinions towards interracial couples.

The car setting seems to imply that the law and justice system in America is institutionally racist towards blacks (bit of truth in that, look at the variance in sentences for crack (predominately black drug) and cocaine (predominately white drug) for example)

Then the line-up setting. It implies that whites are putting blacks in prison because of their colour, and that they consider themselves superior to them and use their racial colour to profit.

So while initially it may seem racist towards blacks, its actually not, if anything the black person is the victim here. Its actually racist towards whites who are depicted as all racist and hateful.

No coincidence the add was made by an african american rapper who holds some racist opinions on whites.

Although that said, you can't deny there's some truth in it. Especially in regards to the law and justice system in america. Where the variance in conviction rates for whites and blacks for similar crimes is extraordinary.

The war against drugs was definitely a racist war against blacks started by Regan. However today, the war is not about race, its about keeping the profitable prison industry ticking over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

bmwguy wrote: »
    Everyone knows you cant be racist against whites, or sexists against men. Only women and non whites can be vctims

Racism exists in all cultures and colours. Your theory needs more research.

And what is this "non white" business? Does everyone else have to aspire to be white or something?

Bacchus wrote: »
    Are ye both suggesting that a lineup with a goat and 4 black men in it, is a lineup with one ethnicity or similar looking people.

Yes, a lineup would probably try to have people who look similar to the suspect but in that case, there should have been 4 goats alongside the suspect, not 4 black men. Those ads are quite racist and even aside from that, they are sh*t. What a stupid concept for a series of ads.

Na, I agree. Stupid ad. Just pointing out the generic line-up logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

As a goat myself, I can say this is incredibly offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

Racist ? I think its people abusing a kid .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

what is it with people feeling the need to call everything racist these days. Im sure the vast majority of african americans dont find that ad even the slightest bit offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I have the craziest craving for Mountain Dew now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Racist or a reflection of the reality in America?

Black people account for 40% of the prison population in the US, but only 12% of the population overall. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21791038

In the United States in 2005, 37,460 white females were sexually assaulted or raped by a black man, while between zero and ten black women were sexually assaulted or raped by a white man. http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=26368 *Statistics from Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2005*.

I don't think too many Irish people would be offended by that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Pug160 wrote: »

Black people account for 40% of the prison population in the US, but only 12% of the population overall. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21791038

In the United States in 2005, 37,460 white females were sexually assaulted or raped by a black man, while between zero and ten black women were sexually assaulted or raped by a white man. http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=26368 *Statistics from Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2005*.

No energy to argue but there is some merit in the theory that the American justice system is institutionally racist, or at least was. However now the prison complex is so profitable that it makes no sense to change things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Jim_Crow

You can find the full book online somewhere, VERY interesting reading for anyone interested

Pug160 wrote: »

That's some imbalance. Was there any commentary at the time about why this was the case?

A difference that big cant be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Ah racist me swiss, I suspect some do-gooder honky was the first to complain about it on behalf of all African americans who could care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

What does Mountain Dew taste like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

crockholm wrote: »
    What does Mountain Dew taste like?
    Goat p1ss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Marsden wrote: »
    Goat p1ss.

deffo needs better advertising so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Dew sounds like Jew when you say it so I am going to decide that is racist as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Would any lineup have more than one ethnicity in it?

watch this to the end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

The ad was written by a black guy. If other black guys have sandy knickers over this, they should go talk to the guy who wrote it. Maybe it's offensive to some, maybe not. But it's not racist, and this is just another example of people reaching for the race card for the most negligible of justification.

The ethnicity of the writer now has to be identified to justify the ad.

Racists are taking another bad, bad, beating, that's making people Angry.

"Scream Racist Scream!".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I'm white but i find this add offensive, and i see how it was deemed racist, a white female victim, and all black convicts, i know there is a goat but I get the impression he is supposed to be a playa goat with swag associated with alot of black people in the states! Really stupid add too! Not at all funny! Not even stupid funny, just a crappy add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Henlars67 wrote: »
    If the line-up was all white I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem.

And that is why those crying racism are really the racist ones.

woodoo wrote: »
    And that is why those crying racism are really the racist ones.

Can anyone who finds this racist honestly say they would have an issue with it if it had been a black woman with a line up of white men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Locker10a wrote: »
    I'm white but i find this add offensive,

Give me strength. Offensive? I could weep at how silly this is all getting these days. Such over reactions. This level of political correctness has to be stood up to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement