Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most racist ad in history?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Who gives a **** if a Black man wrote it? I am a Black American with a law degree who works in the criminal justice system and that ad was incredibly offensive.

As outsiders, you don't seem to grasp the subtleties.

1. Black men were lynched for whistling or even looking at a White woman.

2. By population, Black men are incarcerated at higher rates with stiffer penalties than their non-Black counterparts. Turn on the news in the US and nearly guaranteed to see a mugshot of a Black man.

3. Black people owned slaves. Some like to point out that certain African tribes sold other tribes to slave catchers. Regardless, simply because a few Blacks profited from the institution does not make it valid. Simply because a Black man wrote this ad does not meant it can't be racist.

Does one Irish man or woman represent the totality of Irish people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

woodoo wrote: »
    Give me strength. Offensive? I could weep at how silly this is all getting these days. Such over reactions. This level of political correctness has to be stood up to.

What a shock you feel this way,Woodoo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

Who gives a **** if a Black man wrote it? I am a Black American with a law degree who works in the criminal justice system and that ad was incredibly offensive.

2. By population, Black men are incarcerated at higher rates with stiffer penalties than their non-Black counterparts. Turn on the news in the US and nearly guaranteed to see a mugshot of a Black man.

3. Black people owned slaves. Some like to point out that certain African tribes sold other tribes to slave catchers. Regardless, simply because a few Blacks profited from the institution does not make it valid. Simply because a Black man wrote this ad does not meant it can't be racist.

Would you have had an issue with the ad if it had been a black woman and a line up of white men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What a shock you feel this way,Woodoo :rolleyes:

You are right though i am uncomfortable with the levels of political correctness these days.

I see you were beginning to get your ass whooped over on the other thread :D by the time i got back from work it was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

woodoo wrote: »
    You are right though i am uncomfortable with the levels of political correctness these days.

I see you were beginning to get your ass whooped over on the other thread :D by the time i got back from work it was closed.

I see you never responded. Couldn't locate that evidence, no? Haha. :) Legs 1- Woodoo 0 :)

Arcsin wrote: »
    Would you have had an issue with the ad if it had been a black woman and a line up of white men?

Yes, under a different set of contextual points. Since slavery Black men and women have been viewed as hypersexual animals. Black men were stereotyped as raving sex fiends preying on pure white women. Black women were viewed as jezebels who were always wanting sex thus it was appropriate for white men to use us as sexual toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

It's a very anti goat ad. It's very unfunny and honestly how was that supposed to make people want to buy a drink? It's an offensive to all thinking individuals everywhere regardless of race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I don't see how any of that makes that ad racist.

If you're offended by it then fair enough, but the fact that you are a black American with a law degree who is offended by it doesn't make it racist.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LHDxqigCco4/TpeLXt1w0GI/AAAAAAAADf8/4_aWa4D_QEE/s1600/fry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't believe there was any intent there to cause offence, somebody in a brainstorming session came up with a 'gangsta' goat idea and they ran with it. Humour was the intended goal.

Google: Emmett Till

• Advertisement

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I don't see how any of that makes that ad racist.

If you're offended by it then fair enough, but the fact that you are a black American with a law degree who is offended by it doesn't make it racist.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LHDxqigCco4/TpeLXt1w0GI/AAAAAAAADf8/4_aWa4D_QEE/s1600/fry.jpg

Unless you are also a member of the Black American community then I dont give two ****s if you think it isnt racist.

Yes, under a different set of contextual points. Since slavery Black men and women have been viewed as hypersexual animals. Black men were stereotyped as raving sex fiends preying on pure white women. Black women were viewed as jezebels who were always wanting sex thus it was appropriate for white men to use us as sexual toys.

Someone else posted statistics showing over 37000 sexual assaults or rapes by black men against white women in 2005, while there were between zero and 10 sexual assaults or rapes against black women by white men.

Ill quote the post in a second but why do you think there is such a disparity? Is negative stereotyping a result of this or is it the other way around, has an established stereotype created a culture that contributes to this?

Pug160 wrote: »
    Racist or a reflection of the reality in America?

Black people account for 40% of the prison population in the US, but only 12% of the population overall. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21791038

In the United States in 2005, 37,460 white females were sexually assaulted or raped by a black man, while between zero and ten black women were sexually assaulted or raped by a white man. http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=26368 *Statistics from Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2005*.

Here is the quote, Killer Wench.

Someone else posted statistics showing over 37000 sexual assaults or rapes by black men against white women in 2005, while there were between zero and 10 sexual assaults or rapes against black women by white men.

Ill quote the post in a second but why do you think there is such a disparity? Is negatives stereotyping a result of this or is it the other way around, has an established stereotype created a culture that contributes to this?

Don't bother posting those stats. They are from a well known anti-Muslim and very biased website. The publisher does not hold much credibility.

Don't bother posting those stats. They are from a well known anti-Muslim and very biased website. The publisher does not hold much credibility.

I understand the site itself is no doubt biased, I'm talking about the actual statistics. The previous poster does cite the source, a Department of Justice document.

Do you think those figures aren't accurate?

I don't believe there was any intent there to cause offence, somebody in a brainstorming session came up with a 'gangsta' goat idea and they ran with it. Humour was the intended goal.

Have you ever heard of the Penn State scandal? A well respected football coach shielded his assistant coach from criminal liability. It was later shown that this assistant coach did in fact rape and molest several little boys and it is believed that this head coach choose to ignore it.

This past Feb, a rival school was advertising for a basketball game against Penn State. The ad featured the rival team's head coach, embracing his shirtless son in a passionate moment after a close win. The ad said to come out for the Penn State game.

Intent: Showing a rather sentimental image of a coach hugging his son

Result: Penn State community, dealing with the sex abuse scandal, felt that the image was mocking towards the victims.

Sometimes intent does not outweight the actual result.

I understand the site itself is no doubt biased, I'm talking about the actual statistics. The previous poster does cite the source, a Department of Justice.

Do you think those figures aren't accurate?

I do believe it was cherry picked and taken out of context. Something that happens frequently on the site. Read more about David Horowitz for more details.

I do believe it was cherry picked and taken out of context. Something that happens frequently on the site. Read more about David Horowitz for more details.

You said you are a Black American with a law degree and you work in the criminal justice system (in the US I presume). You put yourself forward as having expertise in this area. So the figures are accurate, can you provide some context then that explains why there is such a marked difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Lyons tea minstrels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Is it like lemonade or a cola or orange based? I just keep thinking of crab juice when I see it (thanks,Simpsons) and consequently I never bought and tasted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's amazing how many people seem to think that because a black guy wrote the ad, it's impossible that it could be racist.

In that case boards.ie needs to be shut down on account of being a massive anti-Irish hate speech site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The question here is, how in the name of god would watching that uncomfortable, unfunny ad make you want to drink that drink they're selling?

On the issue of whether or not it is racist, police line-ups ought to have people of the one race in it, by its nature. On the other hand, however, it is understandable that black people could perceive this to to be reinforcing the stereotype of black men being criminals, especially when the officers and the woman are white. It's not for a white person to say it's not offensive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Unless you are also a member of the Black American community then I dont give two ****s if you think it isnt racist.

From what I can gather, a lot of the black community in America are using the past as an excuse for their bad behaviour. I've never done anything to a black person, so I have as much right to be offended or not be be offended as a modern day black man who hasn't suffered anywhere nearly as badly as his forefathers, if at all. You're giving examples of lynching that occurred in the 50s. That's not relevant to today.

A lot of black ghettos are stuck in a continuous loop and crybabies like Al Sharpton who have exactly your mentality are encouraging it to continue. Lots of other people rise up from disadvantaged backgrounds. Having a persecution complex is just an excuse for not taking responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Can anyone who finds this racist honestly say they would have an issue with it if it had been a black woman with a line up of white men?

would all the white men be dressed as rednecks or all as meth heads if so then yes. It is not that they were all black as such more that they were all stereotyped views of the black community in the states.

So as I'm a white Irish person my opinion means nothing?

What does that make you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

What does that make you?

ever hear of white privilege

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

The thing about the line up is he got those people because they're all his (Tyler, the Creator's) friends who happened to be free at the time. Plus, in a line-up they're all going to either be all black, all white, all Asian or whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You must be looking at a different ad, comparing black men to animals, and presenting them as the only suspects in violent crime is obviously racist.
    Just taking the thing of them all being black. If your suspect was black and you had white guys in the line up it would be seriously iffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pug160 wrote: »
    From what I can gather, a lot of the black community in America are using the past as an excuse for their bad behaviour. ........

...and I can just imagine where you gathered it from, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Somebody think of the goat in all this

He could end up in prison and get shished

Or end up wearing an advertising pitta bread for abrakebra

Fetta up with PC going mad ( the choice of dew hippy generation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

What does that make you?

I think the pc crowd would first say you are talking utter rubbish, then ask for
    links to your claims. next step is to call you a bigot and then pull the racist
    card on your ass.

Then wait for the thanks to their reply, someone will report your post and finally
    get site banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Ok like everyone else I think it is a prity stupid non funny add, initially I couldn't see why it was considered so racist though, certain elements, could be seen as being sterrotypes ect...

Then I looked at it closer, and here is my thinking on it,

the goat committed the crime, (as others have suggested, a line up is generally made up of similar people) so in theory they are comparing the people in the line up, to a goat who is a playa. That to me sounds as if it could be considered racist.

I also agree with other poster that pepsi knew what they where doing creating this add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The ad is nothing more than pure shite tbh. One of the worst I've seen in a long, long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭The Rad Runner

Stupid bloody advert, not even slightly funny. As others have said it's playing into the wannabe viral all publicity is good publicity schtick.

This is such bullsh1t. And coming from a poster who was recently giving a child killer the benefit of doubt purely because he was black. Have ya'll found out any more about Demarquis Elkins yet?

White politicians shouldn't concern themselves with racism or racist laws that discriminate against non-whites, sure what would they know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

The company is still getting what it wants ... Publicity ..:D may go buy me some Mountain Dew or a Pepsi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Google: Channon Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

0066ad wrote: »
    Google: Channon Christian.

Jesus, that's horrific :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Snitches get stitches

• Advertisement

I am already familiar with that story. It's horrifying, but I fail to see how it has anything to do with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I'm 200% nigga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

ah people are gone too pc, everything these days is perceived to be racist and i think its an easy stick to beat people with. if any of you are familiar with british soccer, theres a crowd called "the society of black lawyers" who are frequently on sky sports news harping on about racism, yet the irony is in their name, surely that society is being racist and inclusive of people with only black skin? if there was the equivalent society of white layers or a white inclusive only group there would be uproar, it seems you can only be a racist if your white. muhammed ali was the biggest racist of his generation yet thats never brought up, theres many more examples. i personally couldnt care less what colour a person is but it irks me how this racism card is being played in todays world.

You said you are a Black American with a law degree and you work in the criminal justice system (in the US I presume). You put yourself forward as having expertise in this area. So the figures are accurate, can you provide some context then that explains why there is such a marked difference?

I have a B.A. in history (primary: medieval, secondary: US Minority History), a law degree, and a Master's in sociology, emphasis on race and ethnic studies.

I may not be an "expert" but I know more than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

"According to United States Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, there were overall 191,670 victims of rape or sexual assault reported in 2005.[14] 1 of 6 U.S. women and 1 of 33 U.S. men have experienced an attempted or completed rape. (according to Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault)[15] The U.S. Department of Justice compiles statistics on crime by race, but only between and among people categorized as black or white. The statistics for whites include Hispanic and non-Hispanic whites combined. There were 194,270 white and 17,920 black victims of rape or sexual assault reported in 2006.[16]

However, the report does give a note that for the percentages of white-on-black or black-on-white rape, and the estimate of total number of black victims, the statistic is based on 10 or fewer sample cases.[17] Some types of rape are excluded from official reports altogether; the FBI's definition for example excludes all rapes except forcible rapes of females, a significant number of rapes go unreported even when they are included as reportable rapes, and a significant number of rapes reported to the police do not advance to prosecution.[18]"

ah people are gone too pc, everything these days is perceived to be racist and i think its an easy stick to beat people with. if any of you are familiar with british soccer, theres a crowd called "the society of black lawyers" who are frequently on sky sports news harping on about racism, yet the irony is in their name, surely that society is being racist and inclusive of people with only black skin? if there was the equivalent society of white layers or a white inclusive only group there would be uproar, it seems you can only be a racist if your white. muhammed ali was the biggest racist of his generation yet thats never brought up, theres many more examples. i personally couldnt care less what colour a person is but it irks me how this racism card is being played in todays world.

Yep, he's the world's most loved and excused racist. I said that on twitter once and got any amount of abuse, mainly from people who are constantly tying to find racism everywhere.

What does that make you?

It makes me a Black American woman who has dealt directly with the stereotypes of the hyper sexual Black woman.

I am already familiar with that story. It's horrifying, but I fail to see how it has anything to do with this.

The reason that you fail to see how this commercial is the modern extension of the lynching fears that brought on the death of Emmett Till is the exact reason why I take exception with anyone outside of the Black American community defining when we should be offended.

You may not understand the context, but do not tell me when I should or should not be offended.

Stupid bloody advert, not even slightly funny. As others have said it's playing into the wannabe viral all publicity is good publicity schtick.

This is such bullsh1t. And coming from a poster who was recently giving a child killer the benefit of doubt purely because he was black. Have ya'll found out any more about Demarquis Elkins yet?

Such bravery creating an account just to post your single post towards me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Its not racist, its taking the racist stereotype and turning it on it head. If it was part of a film like Scary Movie or Airplane people would think its hilarious (like I do) BTW I don't have a racist bone in my body. People are far too sensitive. This coming from the country that thinks its alright to give a five year old a functioning gun as a birthday present and then be surprised when he uses it to kill his two year old sister.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/coroner-5-year-old-boy-shoots-2-year-old-sister-in-kentucky-with-rifle-he-got-as-a-gift/2013/05/01/7987da80-b2d5-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am most bemused by the taking heads on the TV telling me what I'm supposed to find offensive. If they are individually offended, fine. If they have a poll showing that 75% of black men found it offensive, good to know. Places things in perspective. But comments like "how could anyone possibly not find it offensive" seem fairly holier than thou.

This was a genius marketing move by Pepsi. Everyone is taking about it.

Advertisement