Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible quality lawn in new house

• 02-05-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved to a house with a large back garden, all grass. I'm told it was probably sown with hay seed by the original builders, it's very coarse and the lawn is extremely bumpy. It's also riddled with weeds in amongst the tufts of grass.

I don't think there is anything I can do about the bumps and ridges without completely resurfacing it.

We are renting so I'm not going to put a huge amount of money and effort into it but I would like to see if I can tidy it up a bit.

We have a lawn feed with moss and weed killer in it. I was going to follow the instructions and put that down. Then after a month or so put down regular grass seed to see if some softer grass will grow.

Does anyone know will this work somewhat or am I completely wasting my time with the grass seed and I should just stick to getting rid of the weeds and feeding up the grass that's there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Buy a heavy grass roller, it should smooth the soil out a bit. It'll compact the soil so you may need to be aerated after to ensure the grass roots get some air. Dont roll the grass when it's too dry, the soils needs to be pliable when you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Mink wrote: »
    We are renting so I'm not going to put a huge amount of money and effort into it but I would like to see if I can tidy it up a bit.

You don't bring a Hertz car to a carwash, especially in Ireland!

Good lawns are high maintenance.

Advertisement