Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you buy or make your lunch for work?

2»

Comments

hardCopy wrote: »
    Aside from the financial benefit, homemade sambos can be so much nicer than anything you get the average 'deli'.

Unless you're lucky enough to work beside somewhere like Morton's then the best lunch you can get is one you make yourself.

I have to say I always prefer a roll/sandwich even from a fairly mediocre deli than homemade ones. Always have a much better choice of fillings than at home and sometimg about not having to make it yourself makes it nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I buy my breakfast and dinner (at lunch time) in the canteen at work. For me as a single person it works out cheaper.
    Brekkie: €2.75
    Dinner: €5 - €7

Sandwich in here is 1.70 or a dinner is about 3-4 euro so I usually just buy it
    I'm busy in the evenings so way too scattered to be organising lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I live where I work, nothing beats nipping across to cook up some spicy chicken or pepparoni pasta, a cup of tea and 45 mins in bed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I bring my own lunch except for Friday when I go out for lunch. I make my own because it's much nice. It is more expensive though because if I was buying it I'd only be spending €1.50 a day whereas the ingredients for my lunch cost more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

mathie wrote: »
    I spend 23 euro a week on lunch.
    A sandwich three days a week and a takeaway chicken curry and a burrito the other days.

I wouldn't save too much making them at home and I'd rather spend my time at home more productively.

You mean **** dont you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Chose the "some days buy it, some days make it" option but I'd lean more towards making it myself most days.

Apart from it working out much cheaper, my homemade lunches tend to be healthier and more portion appropriate. Of course I have the odd bad/lazy week where I buy it every day but try to minimise my costs by buying soup, which costs 1.40 without bread and 2 euro with. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I bring in a 29c pot noodle cup from aldi 3-4 days a week. I meet a friend some weeks and we spend about 8 euro each. And then the company gets everyone lunch on Friday :) saving a FORTUNE compared to the last job where I spent about 6 euro a day. Some months I can get away with spending less than €5 on lunches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

For elevenses I usually take a coffee with a scone, Cream and Jam also a biscuit or two and a bowl of soup.

At one I will indulge in a medium rare striploin, Chips and Peas and a follow-on yoghurt or two.

At 4 or 5 in the evening a Fillet Steak, home fries and a large salad washed down with a nice Chianti or Cabernet Sauvignan or some such fruity red wine.

Self employed and hence I do most or all of my eating at home as I can get to all my work assignments off the M50.

God bless non-rush hour travel.

God bless the M50.

Work hard play hard and eat well is my way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    You can catch up with your girlfriend & family while in the kitchen preparing your food, I'm sure an extra 15 Min's away from them each evening wouldn't hurt. Just saying :cool:

And you would waste more of your lunch time queuing for food and walking to get b it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bring something in 4 days and meet up with friends on the 5th day. The costs really do add up if you buy lunch out every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Usually bring it. Homemade soup or a meat/ egg salad plus a few pieces of fruit for snacks. Saves me a fortune, plus I get free tea in work so no caffeine costs for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I make my husband's lunch for him every night before I go to bed - much cheaper and he actually prefers it. He said the he is one of the only people in his office to bring his lunch. Most of the others go out every day to buy it. Just seems like a crazy waste of money to me!

You are a rarity, lucky man he is. :D

I do a bulk online shop every 2 weeks and bring lunch in, pity I forget or am late some mornings so I have to pay 7 quid for a mediocre sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Bring it most days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to say I always prefer a roll/sandwich even from a fairly mediocre deli than homemade ones. Always have a much better choice of fillings than at home and sometimg about not having to make it yourself makes it nicer.

Odd, I always find it to be exactly the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Moofster

Well as a lot of other said, I bring my own lunch... saves me a little fortune!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

My mom makes my lunch for me
    P&J Sandwiches..........mmmmmm......

I save the containers from an Indian takeaway and every few days cook up a large curry using whatever (within reason) comes to hand along with a large amount of rice, fill the containers up half curry half rice and freeze them.

Then I have a "square meal" several times a week and sandwiches (home made) the other days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I make a luncheon luncheon, thus increasing my risk of developing bowel cancer in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Chicken and mayo sandwich tomorrow on Nutty Doorstep bread with butter.

Chicken carved off the breast left from the Sunday evening roast.

Best sandwich ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

I'm lucky to get a coffee or two (that I supply!!), when all staff have had their lunch, I don't have time as it's back to work!! One of the many perks of being the boss!:rolleyes:

Advertisement