Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejuvenating/hard pruning

• 02-05-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of neglected Forsythia that I want to sort out now that the flowering is over.

one is overgrown bush shaped, probably over 3m tall and 2m wide/deep. The other must have had its lower branches removed and is more tree shaped (with about 5 or 6 main stems growing from the ground).

I'm considering cutting them to the ground and letting them come back from there, but wondering what others have done in terms of severe pruning for Forsythia?

Same goes for a golden privet. What should I do with that to get it into a manageable shape?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Now's the time to tackle the Forsythia.
    Hard to give an opinion without seeing them. Do you want to thicken them?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Now's the time to tackle the Forsythia.
    Hard to give an opinion without seeing them. Do you want to thicken them?

Yeah that's the plan. I got medieval on them yesterday evening. One has been cut to within 8 inches of the ground - and the other cut back to 1inch stems and topped at about 2m.

I'm pretty confident the one cut to the ground will shoot back up and be manageable as a bush, but not sure if the other one will be top heavy with little growth at the base? That one is part of a hedge, so it needs a bit of height and density.

Advertisement