Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music in apps

Options
  • 02-05-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi.

I have a very specific business idea in mind which involves using current famous tracks in apps.
    My question is how do business like event organizers/DJs or ringtone companies get access to those tracks legally? Don't want to have any problems with record companies after couple of hours into starting my business.

any answers or suggestions related to my query are very much apperciated.

thank you.

regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Contact IMRO, if it's not them that deals with the licensing it'll be one of their cronies that they can give you the details of.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

grindle wrote: »
    Contact IMRO, if it's not them that deals with the licensing it'll be one of their cronies that they can give you the details of.

Thanks m8 :) gave them a call straight away and got put through to the right person.

More suggestions and ideas are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

http://www.irma.ie/ You will get more info from these guys too!

I was told that for any sound recordings I would need to contact the record companies themselves, and then they will clear the licenses here for me.

Really? I was sure there'd be some kind of clearance company making cash off that.

I guess having most music owned by so few companies makes it relatively easy, you've just got to make a list of each artist and song, lists for each record company and match the song to the company. That way you can just send a list to each company and they'll get back with fees

You'll probably have to know things like projected levels of sales or hand a possibly unfair percentage over to the companies if you can't afford flat fees for whatever tracks you want.

• Advertisement

@grindle

yep.. the idea in mind was that the consumer picks any track they want, didn't want to limit people's choices.
    Was thinking along the same lines as you, that I will pay a flat fee P/A to the licensing authority. Rang a few DJ friends, and they all say that they don't buy any license, and that clubs usually would have all these things covered where they're playing.
    Will need to go into further research.

A question has arisen while I was researching. If my app played music that a user had stored on his phone for his personal use, would I have to pay the licensing? The question would be on the same line as if manufacturers of cd/mps/audio players have to pay any licensing fees?

You wouldn't have to pay licensing for that, no. Otherwise all the DJ or music production apps for phones/tablets would be bankrupting the companies that made them.

I think I am getting into a grey area with this. I have emailed both IMRO and IRMA with this query to be completely sure before I move any further.

Definitely no grey area when the app is playing music of the user's choice from their local drive. The license has been paid by the user. Well, if they haven't robbed it, but that's their problem not yours.

• Advertisement

My exact thinking is same as yours. Hopefully will hear some confirmations from the authorities on this.

Advertisement