Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a geometric/circular tattoo?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys. I'm currently looking into my first tattoo. I've got a rough design (see below) and I want to put it on the side of my ribcage.

First studio I went to said fine no problem, but the second studio (who were generally more impressive and professional about the whole thing) said they were afraid the circles and the geometric design would show up the slightest flaw or wobble of the needle and suggested getting it done somewhere else on the body. I appreciate that they told me that, but I'd really like to get it there and I'm wondering what you guys think.

In particular, are there any tricks you know of that could be useful? For example, I reckon I could get hold of a professional-quality stencil and use that to draw it on beforehand if that would help. Any thoughts?

tumblr_inline_mlpuswnyBR1qz4rgp.jpg
    (The other two circles would be coloured too, and I haven't got the spokes quite right yet - I'm waiting on a photo reference - but you get the general idea.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Looks like a nice tattoo.

As far as I know the artist would make a stencil of that image exactly and apply it to the body, so it's not so much the drawing as the actual tattooing. They sound like they're just concerned about the quality of the tattoo so they'd be the best to chat to about alternatives. Worst comes to it, you have a decision between re-locating the tattoo or getting it done and accept that it may not look as neat as it could somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say I'm impressed with the honesty of the second studio.

I'd say their concern over you getting it done on the ribs is that you might be prone to the occasional flinch given where it would be on the body. For such an intricate design a flinch that could cause the needle to wobble could ruin the design on you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm impressed with the honesty of the second studio.

I'd say their concern over you getting it done on the ribs is that you might be prone to the occasional flinch given where it would be on the body. For such an intricate design a flinch that could cause the needle to wobble could ruin the design on you.

Its not even the flinching Id be worried about.

Most tattooists make the tattoo "flow" with the contours of the body taking into account muscle bulges etc.

The ribs are "bumpy" and that's going to distort the geometry of the design.

While it might be tattooed perfectly some of the circles are going to look oval on the rib cage.

A design like this is probably better suited for the upper back between the shoulder blades or a flatter area.

Advertisement