Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extract Brewing - First Time

Options
  • 02-05-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

So at long last I have got my ass in gear and have everything I need to try extract brewing. Now what to brew? Any suggestions of a nice (easy) brew to try as a starter or where is the best place to start looking for recipes/timings etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Basic pale ale:
    3kg of light DME
    500g of steeped light crystal
    a decently strong American hop: 20g at 60, 30, 10, 0 minutes
    US-05 yeast.
    20L of that should be about 5.5% ABV.
    Dry hop with another 20g a week before bottling.
    Carbonate to 2.4 vols of CO2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you add hops at 0 minutes, when do you remove them?

You don't remove hops added to the kettle. You run the wort off into a fermenter, leaving the hops behind.

The 0 minute addition is exposed to the wort for as long as the chilling and running-off takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

BeerNut wrote: »
    Basic pale ale:
    3kg of light DME
    500g of steeped light crystal
    a decently strong American hop: 20g at 60, 30, 10, 0 minutes
    US-05 yeast.
    20L of that should be about 5.5% ABV.
    Dry hop with another 20g a week before bottling.
    Carbonate to 2.4 vols of CO2.

Thanks as always BeerNut that's exactly what I'm looking for - now when you say Carbonate to 2.4 vols of CO2 what does that mean if I'm bottling this - how much suger is needed to batch prime the 20L?

Carbonating for extract is no different from any other method: if you're happy with the priming method you already have, do that. I use a carbonation calculator to work out how much sugar I need for the desired fizz level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement