Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Status checks

Options
  • 02-05-2013 3:37pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically I click on a thread to continue from where I left off scroll down and after about a minute it pops back up to the post I started from because it only then finally finished getting a response from skype. How about doing the skype check asynchronously with ajax or something so it doesn't affect this? Maybe it is asynchronous and this is browser behaviour regardless but if not it would be worth doing imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,302 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've no idea what any of that means, but it looks more suited to Site Development.

Moved from Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I added mystatus.skype.com to my hosts file to exclude it, works a charm. Got sick of pages hanging for what seemed like ages, me reading through posts, then the page springing back to the start again.

Assuming its Win 7 you're using, navigate to:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    Run notepad as an Administrator
    Open the hosts file within that Notepad you just opened
    Add "127.0.0.1 mystatus.skype.com" to the end of the file, without quotes
    Save the file & exit

Enjoy!

Edit - Don't do this if you need to use Skype obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

We'll take a look into our current implementation and overall usage during the week. Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Due to the slow response times from the SkypeWeb service we've disabled the checks. If a user has Skype on their profile you'll just see a Skype icon but no online/offline check will be performed. Thanks for the bug reports.

Danny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement