Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Mortgage payments

Options
  • 02-05-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im sure this has probably been answered here before so forgive me if Im repeating another thread. I was recently told by someone in work that they started paying their mortgage weekly a few years ago and made substantial savings over those years on interest. Im with KBC bank. Can anyone tell me if they've done this with this bank or any other for that matter and whether it made any noticeable difference year on year,

Many thanks,

HeeBeeGeeBee

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Someone did the maths (I think it was in the Irish Economy forum) a while ago and while it did result in savings it wasn't substantial. I think it was only about €5,000 over the life of the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

hi,
    am with KBC too, I enquired about fortnightly payments instead of monthly and they do this, you have to set up a standing order.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HeeBeeGeeBee

raglan wrote: »
    hi,
    am with KBC too, I enquired about fortnightly payments instead of monthly and they do this, you have to set up a standing order.

Cool, have you made any enquiries regarding potential savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

no, I just queried it one day, didn't so anything about it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

If you pay bi-monthly you will make significant savings as in effect it's paying an extra month every year and resuving the term. So if you pay 1000 every month on your mortgage that's 12000 over the year.
    If you pay 500 every 2 weeks that's 13000 that you're paying every year so you are overpaying by a grand. It's the same savings as paying 11 payments every year and 1 double payment.

I think this was the link that almighty cushion was referring to:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056224551/4

• Advertisement
Advertisement