Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake Icing

Options
  • 02-05-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been making Chocolate biscuit cake for a while now, but never iced it other than with melted chocolate. I've made one for my brother's 18th this weekend, and I really need to ice it. I've received a couple of suggestions, namely ganache (boiled cream & melted chocolate), but this might be too thin of a layer for the cake, and the other option is cream cheese, icing sugar and melted chocolate which would leave a thicker layer, but I'm unsure about how it would taste?

I have a nice recipe for chocolate buttercream icing and strongly considering making that... any suitable suggestions appreciated? Qty/ratio required too!

Recipe for chocolate biscuit cake is here: http://bertiesbakes.webs.com/traybakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Hate the cream cheese idea anyway, dislike the stuff!

Ganache can be made to any consistency, if you want it to be thicker than pouring glaze consistency then increase the chocolate to cream ratio. For what you want you could use double chocolate to cream, as this cools it will give a good thick ganache that will set fairly firm which is best with chocolate biscuit cake.

Alternatively you could make a fudge frosting, equal quantities melted chocolate (min 50% cocoa solids), icing sugar & very soft butter, whizz in processor preferably but mixed will do, sets up nice and firm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I made my brothers wedding cake, and for the chocolate biscuit cake I first iced it with buttercream, and got that really smooth & then put roll out icing (fondant ?) over that & decorated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 orbery

A quick question I've made a chocolate biscuit cake and it hasn't set I think I put to much golden syrup in it, can it be melted back down it also contains fresh cream ??

What were the recipe proportions? Hard enough to stop it setting if there is enough chocolate, would be slow about melting it as it might end up a big pile of mush, might be possible to soften slightly in microwave without any major stirring and adding more melted chocolate/butter/syrup mix if that was what the original recipe was, less of the syrup obviously if you think that was the problem.

I used 800g chocolate 250g butter 250ml of fresh cream and half of a large tin of syrup

• Advertisement

Not too far off basic recipes except for the cream, I usually use half butter and syrup to chocolate but there would be no cream. The cream has no setting quality like the butter would have so that would make it thinner. Have you used that recipe before?

Yes always with cream just think I overdid it with the syrup do you think if I melted it back down and added more chocolate it would be ok

I think you will need to add a mix of chocolate and butter, otherwise just melted chocolate will not blend with the soft mix and you'll just get harder lumps/chunks in it when it does set. Maybe use quarter butter to chocolate to just make it easier to mix in.

I'll give it a go thanks x

Advertisement