Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon oil - how much vitamin E to add?

• 02-05-2013 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Anyone use salmon oil?

Just put in an order for some to try out on the dogs. Reading online it seems I need to add a vitamin E supplement as I don't think there is enough in the dog food to process the oil.

Where do you get your vitamin E oil and more importantly does anyone know how much to add and how often?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive never ever fed Vit E as an extra when feeding Salmon Oil and ive never heard of anyone else doing so either and i know loads that feed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

andreac wrote: »
    Ive never ever fed Vit E as an extra when feeding Salmon Oil and ive never heard of anyone else doing so either and i know loads that feed it.

Online there is conflicting information.

I ordered some Healthy Hounds and thay said that their oil has some vitamin E and combined with the food there might be enough. Checked with Burns and they only add a small amount for maintenance. So I am not sure if there is enough. Waiting for HHs to get back.

Healthy Hounds are setting up a new website and one of their new products will be a vitamin E supplement. They suggested that it is a good supplement to give anyway.

Grizzly salmon oil say you don't need to add any, yet on the Kronch website they recommend adding:-

www.kronch.co.uk/health-benefits/salmon-oil-and-your-pets-the-facts#.UYKOscpXqdw

"The additon of vitamin E is sometimes recommended when giving fish oil on a regular basis as fish oil supplemented for many months may lower vitamin E levels (most fish oil supplements contain additional vitamin E for this reason)."

Not sure what to do. Maybe it differs with brand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

"Because fish oil depletes vitamin E in the body, you should also give vitamin E supplements whenever you supplement with oils of any kind. Give around 50 IUs to a small dog, 100 IUs to a medium sized dog, up to 200 IUs for a large dog, anywhere from daily to once or twice a week." - www.dogaware.com

I give Boo Vitamin E along with her fiish oil caps. I get the cheapie Tesco brand Vit E - think it's only €2.50 or so for 30 capsules. Each capsule contains 400iu Vitamin E.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Healthy Hounds got back to me and they say that I might not need to add vitamin E as there might be enough between the food and salmon oil. Yet she did still say that Vitamin E is a good supplement to give anyways and that they are planning to come out with a vitamin E product.

Kronch UK emailed to say no vitamin E needs to be added yet lintbells.com (yumove, yumega, etc) say you do:

www.lintbells.com/articles/dog-health-and-vitamin-e

I ordered some vitamin E oil from iHerb. It's cheap enough and a bottle lasts along time. I'll give it a go to see if it make any difference.

Advertisement