Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving Slabs

• 02-05-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Can any recommend a very cheap supplier of patio paving slabs?

I'm trying to help an elderly neighbour with her garden. Her husband is now confined to a wheelchair and they are having trouble wheeling the chair up the drive as the concrete area is too narrow for the chair when the car is parked there too. The side of their grass is ruined now, and as a result whenever it rains turns to muddy puddles, impossible for them to push a chair through.

I thought a simple solution would to be to line one side of the grass area with some patio slabs to widen the concrete area? Didn't realise how expensive they would be :rolleyes:

I would even take secondhand ones if someone was redoing their patio.

Or if anyone has any other ideas i'd be very appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You should put a wanted ad up on donedeal and adverts.ie. Or use the search on both sites for second hand ones. I got a load a while back and only paid 20 cent a slab. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Sorry, should have mentioned above, I have a wanted Ad on Adverts already. And I'm in Dublin, could probably collect around Dublin.

Do you think gravel would be any use or would that just end up in muddy mush?

I'd go with slabs for a wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 2 monanaphone

Don't use gravel, it's hard to use a wheelchair on that. Try for the 2nd hand paving slabs already suggested, the bigger the better, easier put down. Pressed flags will withstand more abuse, e.g.frost / breaking.

There are bound to be plenty of suppliers for new ones in Dublin/surrounds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Can any recommend a very cheap supplier of patio paving slabs?

I'm trying to help an elderly neighbour with her garden. Her husband is now confined to a wheelchair and they are having trouble wheeling the chair up the drive as the concrete area is too narrow for the chair when the car is parked there too. The side of their grass is ruined now, and as a result whenever it rains turns to muddy puddles, impossible for them to push a chair through.

I thought a simple solution would to be to line one side of the grass area with some patio slabs to widen the concrete area? Didn't realise how expensive they would be :rolleyes:

I would even take secondhand ones if someone was redoing their patio.

Or if anyone has any other ideas i'd be very appreciative.

I would be interested to finding out more and be willing to provide your neighbour with paving slabs or install a concrete strip for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Thank you so much for your kind offer, I have only just checked back on this thread.

Only yesterday my friend collected slabs from a very generous man on adverts.ie

Thanks guys for your help!

Advertisement