Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

territorial rabbits

• 02-05-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

we have two rabbits for a year now. we got them around the same age and time and they have been together since then. they are both female. recently one of the rabbits has been trying to show her dominance over the other and when my sister went to feed them this morning she found blood n the hutch. is there anything we can do to try and stop this. at the moment we have them in separate runs. we dont want to have to give one of them away but if we can;t find something that can stop her from hurting the other one then we are afraid that this is what we will have to do

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Are they spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 niamh92

yea. the vet told us they might do this at first but a year on i dont think its normal. apparently it would be fine if they were male and female but its because they are both girls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

How much blood? Did you determine where the injury is? My two rabbits occasionally leave a small bit of blood if they break a nail etc.

Don't be afraid to pick up your rabbits and give them a thorough exam. Rabbit injuries can often be unseen and can contain puss etc. You can feel the injuries straight away when you run your fingers over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How big is the hutch and the run they are usually in together?
    Could be a space issue, but there's no need to give one away if you already have two runs all you need is a cosy hutch and they can live together side by side instead so they have the company without the stress of stepping on each others toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I would get them spayed. I have two sisters that were getting very dominant with each other. Since getting spayed they are largely the best of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I would get them spayed. I have two sisters that were getting very dominant with each other. Since getting spayed they are largely the best of friends.

The OP already said they are spayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

I had an issue where a 2of my female rabbits wouldnt get on and I wanted them to live together.

We put them in a washing basket and brought them on a 10 minute car journey every night for about 7 - 10 days and now they're the best of friends.

The movement of the car does scare them a bit and they looked for comfort in each other and it done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 niamh92

it seems to have stopped. we have just been keeping them seperate during the day and together at night and this seems to have calmed the bigger rabbit down quite alot

Advertisement