Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB has now increased their fixed mortgage rates!!!!

Options
  • 02-05-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

AIB has increased their fixed mortgage rates since April 30th no one has noticed this as it was not released to the media I called home mortgage department and was told they do not have to inform of a increase of fixed rates. They had a one year of 4.15% and two year fixed of 4.65%. They have now split the one year between new (4.09%)and existing (4.55%) and two year is now 4.75%

This is a disgrace bad enough they increased variable but they snuk in the fixed rate increase. We own this Bank yet the government sit idly by while people are being pushed into mortgage arrears.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What are you on about???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fixed rate changes don't affect existing customers in any way. They don't need to advertise it because any one taking out a mortgage with them will be advised of the rate at the time. They have to advertise variables because existing customers may need to adjust standing orders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 disliking shift work

My fixed rate is up at the beginning of July, these New rates mean its 1% more which mightn't sound like a lot but every cent counts. I was saving a small bit each week up until now but thatl have to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

dotsman wrote: »
    What are you on about???

They never informed anyone i.e media that fixed rates were going up I was told last week that only variable rates were going up and not fixed rates more lies from AIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    They never informed anyone i.e media that fixed rates were going up I was told last week that only variable rates were going up and not fixed rates more lies from AIB

If you have a fixed rate at the moment that remains the same. When you go to renew it might be different.
    That's why it's more expensive to fix for a longer term.
    They don't have to advertise changes in prices unless it effects current customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

AIB has increased their fixed mortgage rates since April 30th no one has noticed this as it was not released to the media I called home mortgage department and was told they do not have to inform of a increase of fixed rates. They had a one year of 4.15% and two year fixed of 4.65%. They have now split the one year between new (4.09%)and existing (4.55%) and two year is now 4.75%

This is a disgrace bad enough they increased variable but they snuk in the fixed rate increase. We own this Bank yet the government sit idly by while people are being pushed into mortgage arrears.

:confused:
    I saw it on the RTE news last week , and they sent letters to all their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Who told you fixed rates were not going up? And when? Who lied to you? Interest rates are reviewed constantly and change regularly. There is no conspiracy here. It would be pretty pointless to alter the variable interest rates and not fixed rates. Now, if the media only want to concentrate on Variable rates, that's their prerogative - after all, that's the only sensational story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Of course they dont advertise the fixed rates, if you are already on a fixed rate product you will remain on the rate agreed until the fixed rate expires, at which point you will have an options as to rates to go to next. If you are not on a fixed rate, it doesnt effect you until you wish to go fixed at which point you will be shown the fixed rates at the time.

This doesn't automatically put anyone on the new rate, the customer must choose this rate to be on it.

Advertisement