Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easier Visa Access: IEC vs. Skilled Worker

Options
  • 02-05-2013 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi I just read here that it is 'easier to immigrate into Canada with a degree than with work experience'. Is that true?

Basically I've been aiming for the next IEC as I thought that that would be the best plan for me. I'm a graduate aiming for an IEC. As best as I understand, I don't fit well for any of the other visas; I don't have a job offer or family there and since I'm a recent graduate, I don't have much professional experience to speak of.

So why would skilled, experienced workers from Germany calculate that it's easier to immigrate with a degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

I very much doubt its true whats the point in having a piece of paper if you have no experience?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Calgary22 wrote: »
    I very much doubt its true whats the point in having a piece of paper if you have no experience?:D

By any chance, are you not a graduate? I have never heard graduates attack people for not attending college, but the other way around it's rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I'm not long in Canada- I arrived in September and I had a job related to my four year degree and previous work experience within three weeks.

I was told it was my previous experience which got me the job.

From what I've experienced and from what I have seen here, experience is valued much more than qualifications.

We come from Ireland where third level education is very very cheap and in a way that makes it worthless. It's easy to progress from third level to fourth level if you wish and a high number of young people can complete 4 year degrees.

It's not so cheap to do so in Canada and I think this is why employers value experience more than education as they realise not everyone can afford to go to college for years and years.

I'm working for a tech company and most of the people working here have 2 year diplomas. In my opinion, that's almost unheard of in Ireland.

So, I'll finish by saying why would anyone be more willing to hire someone with a piece of paper over practical experience. There may be more opportunities in Canada at the moment however universal rules still apply- experience will nearly always win out.

That's good experience to draw on. Thanks for that.

I don't understand the German worker situation though.

Maybe experience would help get you a first job, but after that, there is a reason people go to college. In tough economic times, education pays less as we know, partly because employers don't have time or money to invest in training and education. In good economic times, it's the opposite. The fact that each year of education after second level results in higher salaries should be common knowledge and is easily accessible.

Perhaps the key point here is about 'first job', at least that's what I'm taking from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

That's good experience to draw on. Thanks for that.

In tough economic times, education pays less as we know, partly because employers don't have time or money to invest in training and education. In good economic times, it's the opposite. The fact that each year of education after second level results in higher salaries should be common knowledge and is easily accessible.

Perhaps the key point here is about 'first job', at least that's what I'm taking from it.

I'm not sure we're fully on the same page in regards to the point underlined above. Canada has a good economy at the moment; depending on what part of the country you are in things may be better than other areas. However, education is still valued less than experience. Again, this is just my opinion from what I've seen and experienced in Vancouver.

I think work culture is different here than in Ireland and your salary will not automatically be equated with your education. Fourth level education is not as common here or as 'esteemed' as in Ireland and chances are you won' be able to use your qualifications- whatever they may be- as a bargaining chip when it comes to getting a higher salary. You EARN your salary by demonstrating that you are worth it. A qualification does not demonstrate your 'value' to an employer.

Canadians aren't as a soft as some may be back in Ireland. If you're useless at your job, you'll be told and maybe even let go. Chances are someone with experience will be better at any job than a person with just a qualification or a qualification and a small amount of experience.

(I'm not directing this as you personally; it stands for anyone coming to Canada.)

• Advertisement

Agree with the above poster its all about experience for certain sectors experience is $$$$:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Tiddlers wrote: »
    We come from Ireland where third level education is very very cheap and in a way that makes it worthless. It's easy to progress from third level to fourth level if you wish and a high number of young people can complete 4 year degrees.

It's not so cheap to do so in Canada and I think this is why employers value experience more than education as they realise not everyone can afford to go to college for years and years.

It's actually quite the opposite. Practically everyone in Canada has a degree, to the extent that they're as worthless as they are in Ireland right now

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL:D

Per centage of Canadian population with a degree in 2010:
    http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/details/education/university-completion.aspx
    Conference Board of Canada Statistics
    That's about 26% not practically everybody and not worthless. Totally unqualified, no statistics and simply inaccurate.

Per centage of Canadian immigrants with a degree:
    http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/as-sa/97-560/p13-eng.cfm
    Canadian Statistics Office
    That's 51%.

Every year of college earns more in career salary
    I loathed having to put this in, but apparently some people think it's a ghost story. This is a quality publication, calculated by research, not opinion.
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-20/calculating-a-college-degrees-true-value

A cultural comparisson, America values degree-holders far more than non-degree holders
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brazen-life/why-your-college-degree-h_b_3000592.html
    "We all know about the obvious benefits to having a college degree -- namely, a steady job and financial security. But we often overlook other benefits to higher education: quality of life improvements that deserve to be brought into focus, whether you're on the fence about going back to school or are just having a hard time appreciating the degree you already have."

I can certainly say from personal experience from living in Italy and Germany, degree holders fared better. The most prevelant arguement that I'm detecting here is that of cultural difference in approach to this. However, statistics don't lie no matter the strength or prejudice of personal opinion. Well, an college professor told me of those that dropped out "Well we always need more bin cleaners". If, indeed it were case that in Canada degrees are valued less, then people might be restricted to English-speaking countries since the same values don't apply on the European continent. Apparently the Canadian government doesn't 'value degrees more than experience' which is clear in the comments of the Candian immigration minister Jason Kenny when visiting the UK and Ireland late in 2012 when he said he was targeting 'highly-educated, unemployed graduates' :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/9583522/Canada-woos-unemployed-British-graduates.html

I'd say the value of the thread has de-railed. Subjective opinion, no statistics and prejudice, never mind the immaturity of some posters ^^. Still, no better understanding on the case of the German workers saying they fared less well than degree holders in Canada. Unsubscribe.

Mate you asked a question you have been given answers by people in canada if you don't like it there's nothing we can do about it:D. You seem to have done the research about Statistics now email employers and ask which they prefer more a piece of paper or life experience in the sector you intend to work in.Let us no how ya get on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

what the op is saying is half right....a degree is important but it does go hand in hand with experience. They are not mutually exclusive.
    Both are checkmarks that employers will tick off on a list when running through applicants. Applying for a skilled job with only qualifications or only work experience will probably not get you too far, unless you are an exceptional candidate.
    In the interview for my current job they weren't too interested in my education history, but would I have even got the interview without it on my resume? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Per centage of Canadian population with a degree in 2010:
    http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/details/education/university-completion.aspx
    Conference Board of Canada Statistics
    That's about 26% not practically everybody and not worthless. Totally unqualified, no statistics and simply inaccurate.

But given that the Canadian population is very baby boomer heavy, that stat you're showing is as meaningless as you claim my comment was. Perhaps I should've phrased it thusly: If you're between the ages of 22-35, practically everyone you will be competing with for employment in a non-minimum wage position will have a degree, ensuring that experience becomes far more important

Advertisement