Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAFT report - less than 2000 homes to rent in Dublin!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Presume it's subdivided properties rather than 5-6 bedroom family homes?

Looking at that table:
    1 room -> 1.42 persons per household -> 1.42 persons per room
    2 room -> 1.88 pph -> 0.94 ppr
    3 room -> 2.32 pph -> 0.77 ppr
    4 room -> 2.29 pph -> 0.57 ppr
    5 room -> 2.76 pph -> 0.55 ppr
    6 room -> 2.82 pph -> 0.47 ppr
    7 room -> 3.13 pph -> 0.45 ppr
    8 room -> 3.45 pph -> 0.43 ppr

But assuming it's largely subdivided properties, that means there's a lot of excess beds out there. Assuming 1 person to 1 bed and also that "8 or more" is just 8. Just done the maths and only 54% of available beds are used! In other words, 46% of beds in Dublin are not used. That's pretty surprising considering the population density there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I don't know whats going on with the rooms, I originally thought those 5+ bed properties was Georgian Dublin at play.

But when you check the coastal towns for example -Swords, Lusk, Balbriggan, Donabate, Rush, Skerries - they too have a lot of 5+ bed properties.
    Link: http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/

Anyone explain it? Couldn't be hotels\B&B's counted as households? :)

gurramok wrote: »
    I don't know whats going on with the rooms, I originally thought those 5+ bed properties was Georgian Dublin at play.

But when you check the coastal towns for example -Swords, Lusk, Balbriggan, Donabate, Rush, Skerries - they too have a lot of 5+ bed properties.
    Link: http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/

Anyone explain it? Couldn't be hotels\B&B's counted as households? :)

65% of Dublin's population lives in a 5 bed+ household and I think it's fair to say that 65% of Dublin don't live in Georgian Dublin. Re the commuter towns, McMansions perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

At risk of looking a bit silly, that says number of rooms, not number of bedrooms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

realgirl wrote: »
    At risk of looking a bit silly, that says number of rooms, not number of bedrooms...
    Not silly at all. You are right. Sitting rooms, kitchens etc are counted in the census.

• Advertisement

Oopsy.
    I'm pointing the finger at gurramok :-p

Not silly at all. You are right. Sitting rooms, kitchens etc are counted in the census.

I remember thinking when I filled in the census form that people would be confused by this and they'd probably end up with incorrect data. I lived in a 2 bed house that also had bathroom, sitting room and kitchen so I put 5. I reckon a lot of people would probably have put 2. Surely almost no-one lives somewhere that has only one room. What were they hoping to understand from this info anyway. If I have an open plan kitchen/dining/living room is that 1 room or 3? If I have a shed in the garden I use as an office or playroom is that 1 room?

gaius c wrote: »
    Oopsy.
    I'm pointing the finger at gurramok :-p

Hehe, oops alright :)

There are 18,914 people living with just 1 room for all the facilities(bedroom, kitchen, shower), bedsits\studios? :eek:

I remember thinking when I filled in the census form that people would be confused by this and they'd probably end up with incorrect data. I lived in a 2 bed house that also had bathroom, sitting room and kitchen so I put 5. I reckon a lot of people would probably have put 2. Surely almost no-one lives somewhere that has only one room. What were they hoping to understand from this info anyway. If I have an open plan kitchen/dining/living room is that 1 room or 3? If I have a shed in the garden I use as an office or playroom is that 1 room?
    It is used to measure overcrowdness and a deprivation indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hehe, oops alright :)

There are 18,914 people living with just 1 room for all the facilities(bedroom, kitchen, shower), bedsits\studios? :eek:
    I think what's more surprising is that nearly 60% of those people are sharing that single room (that's assuming the vast majority are doubled up and not tripled up or more).

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I think what's more surprising is that nearly 60% of those people are sharing that single room (that's assuming the vast majority are doubled up and not tripled up or more).

I'd imagine that data might be a bit corrupt, ie people underreporting rooms due to misunderstanding. Even allowing for that, it's a sobering figure.

seamus wrote: »
    I'd say its pretty likely a lot of these people are living in 1 bed houses/apartments that also have a sitting room, kitchen, bathroom etc but just misunderstood the info they were expected to put on the form. I hope so - 1 room to live in seems pretty 3rd world and awful, still can't quite figure out a legitimate situation where 1 or 2 people could live in 1 room - temporary b&b accomodation perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Plenty of 1-bed bedsits around, no? Going by ads on daft. I remember one where someone wanted to share it :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Plenty of 1-bed bedsits around, no? Going by ads on daft. I remember one where someone wanted to share it :eek:
    Assuming you have a bathroom then isn't that 2 rooms? I guess if the bathroom is shared between a few bedsits then that confuses things too...

Assuming you have a bathroom then isn't that 2 rooms? I guess if the bathroom is shared between a few bedsits then that confuses things too...

From CSO 'The following should not be counted as rooms: kitchenette, scullery, bathroom, toilet, garage, halls, landings, rooms that are only used for storage such as cupboards, consulting room, office, shop.'

It was only quite recently they did away with the question about having an outside toilet iirc.

Search for Dublin city lettings:
    Found 2,327 properties
    So now the thread title is 16% wrong despite only being 5 days old.

Had to check myself, gone up 9 since Gaius_C post.

Also, there are 1,535 properties available for Sharing.

Lettings:
    Found 2,336 properties. Displaying properties 1 - 10 below
    Searching for properties to let in Dublin City

Had to check myself, gone up 9 since Gaius_C post.

Also, there are 1,535 properties available for Sharing.

Lettings:

2352 this morning and still liffeylite refuses to correct his erroneous thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

2352 this morning and still liffeylite refuses to correct his erroneous thread title.
    liffeylite doesn't have the authority to edit the thread title.

Regardless, the daft.ie report still says: "currently, there are fewer than 2,000 homes on the market in the capital." http://www.daft.ie/report/index

If you have a problem, take it up with daft.ie.

Snideness not welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Can I just say the number of listings on daft is not entirely reliable either. I've contacted a number of agent this week regarding ads which have been up for a while. They had been let but not taken down. Agents seem slow to do this, presumably as they are off after the next score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Can I just say the number of listings on daft is not entirely reliable either. I've contacted a number of agent this week regarding ads which have been up for a while. They had been let but not taken down. Agents seem slow to do this, presumably as they are off after the next score.
    Aye, it's annoying. I assume estate agents do it because they've paid for a period of time to host the ad. If the property is let during that time, others can still click on the ad and contact the EA regarding this. At which time they would try to offer the caller something else suitable.

You can, and I do, report ads on Daft as bing out of date. Not sure if Daft do anything about this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

DAFT definitely isnt reliable. My agents leave ads up for years at a time.
    There are apartments in the same blocks as mine advertised with my photos on them.
    I dont mind at all because if the agent is saving then im saving.

So there are two sides to this. one - there could be many apartments for just one ad. two - there could be ads up with no apartments available at all at that time.
    conclusion - Dont rely on DAFT to count properties to let.

DAFT know about this and dont mind because these agents put a lot of different ads for different types of properties in different areas anyway.

Aye, it's annoying. I assume estate agents do it because they've paid for a period of time to host the ad. If the property is let during that time, others can still click on the ad and contact the EA regarding this. At which time they would try to offer the caller something else suitable.

You can, and I do, report ads on Daft as bing out of date. Not sure if Daft do anything about this though.

I've reported ads in the past and they do delete them, which makes me wonder if enterprising estate agents have ever tried to hobble competitors by getting their ads deleted.

There's only two ads on daft for the entirety of Clancy Quay but that covers a few hundred apartments.

As for the count, it's far from ideal but it's all we have to go on. If it goes up or down, that's a trend we can use. The exact figure itself is probably not all that useful.

Amazing what 6 weeks brings, its now up to 2713. Summer exodus of students? Anyway, inventory is up, less pressure on rents you'd think :)
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct1&search=1

Inventory is always up in summer. Current pattern isn't much different to previous summers. It's what happens in autumn that is of more interest. The last rental bubble (08-09) popped when inventory kept going up and up after the summer increase. Since then, it's been a slow but steady decrease in available stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

So if they increase rent better chance of buying houses? Sure how can they if they stopped building and Nama can do what they want.

Not many places allow rent allowance but can understand them wanting to decrease it but should be means tested for more urgent cases and on individual bases.

Advertisement