Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile review help?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Just a quick question.

Getting a new phone and thinking of getting either the
    Nokia Lumia 520 or Huawei Y300.

Is anyone using any windows 8 phone if so what is it like?

I am use to android so i know what that is like.

Just if anyone could give me some advice would be great.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Windows Phone is an excellent OS, very fast and fluid on even the slowest hardware. Android cannot compare in terms of speed.

However android is more popular and people buy it just because it's popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

TBi wrote: »
    However android is more popular and people buy it just because it's popular.
    Not entirely true, windows hasn't got a fraction of the app's that android has. That's the reason I stick with droid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Marsden wrote: »
    Not entirely true, windows hasn't got a fraction of the app's that android has. That's the reason I stick with droid.

Not everyone cares nor needs the apps that android has, but buys one only because it's "popular". If you wanted the best selection of apps you'd buy an iPhone.

TBi wrote: »
    Not everyone cares nor needs the apps that android has, but buys one only because it's "popular". If you wanted the best selection of apps you'd buy an iPhone.
    I had one for a few months but went back to droid, I don't like the control over the phone they insist on having. And having to sync your phone with iTunes is a nuisance. People only want Apple phones because they're popular and there's a misconception that they're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

Specs wise these phone are similar. I am interested in the Windows os would it be easier to navigate over Android putting apps aside.

I'm interested in speed and usability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

richfly wrote: »
    Specs wise these phone are similar. I am interested in the Windows os would it be easier to navigate over Android putting apps aside.

Screen quality on the y300 is better, and the camera has a flash. Both are great phones for the price though.

I'd say TBi is right about the speed. I'd a look at the lumia 520 before and it did seem a fast OS for a phone with only 512 mb of memory. It's more about personal preference with these phones as both are good value for money. Why don't you go into the shop and ask to have a look at the lumia to check it out for yourself?

Screen quality on the y300 is better, and the camera has a flash. Both are great phones for the price though.

+ another point for the y300 is it has a front facing camera. Just looking online there's the Nokia lumia 620 which is a step up from the 520. Thinking if I went for the Windows phone the 620 would prob be the better choose in the long run.

Marsden wrote: »
    I'd say TBi is right about the speed. I'd a look at the lumia 520 before and it did seem a fast OS for a phone with only 512 mb of memory. It's more about personal preference with these phones as both are good value for money. Why don't you go into the shop and ask to have a look at the lumia to check it out for yourself?

That would be a good idea thanks mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

+ another point for the y300 is it has a front facing camera. Just looking online there's the Nokia lumia 620 which is a step up from the 520. Thinking if I went for the Windows phone the 620 would prob be the better choose in the long run.
    I'm not sure its really worth paying 100 euros more for the 620, specs of both are almost identical. The screen is much nicer on the 620 but unless you have a lot NFC devices to use it with, I'd go for the 520.

• Advertisement
Advertisement