Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who live abroad and claim sickness and disability.

• 02-05-2013 7:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

I have a few non national workmates who tell tales of their fellow countrymen and countrywomen living back home and claiming disability from ireland. The word from these guys is that their illnesses are not so bad as their medical reports have stated. Apparently they are paid straight to the bank account and a bit of cooperation from pals back here means they get the dough sent to them. They earn often more than the average wage in their country and live very well. Is the country doing anything to check if these people are even living here? From what I hear its easy peasy to defraud in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

It's also very easy to report them and get the DSP to follow up.:cool:

We had to confirm our kids were registered in school here to keep getting child benefit so it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

volauvent wrote: »
    I have a few non national workmates.
    Stateless citizens. So sad:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 volauvent

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    It's also very easy to report them and get the DSP to follow up.:cool:

We had to confirm our kids were registered in school here to keep getting child benefit so it can be done.

And do they continue to check annually if they are registered or you just have to prove it once and then they leave it to good faith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Stateless citizens. So sad:(

ah now come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I have a few non national workmates who tell tales of their fellow countrymen and countrywomen living back home and claiming disability from ireland. The word from these guys is that their illnesses are not so bad as their medical reports have stated. Apparently they are paid straight to the bank account and a bit of cooperation from pals back here means they get the dough sent to them. They earn often more than the average wage in their country and live very well. Is the country doing anything to check if these people are even living here? From what I hear its easy peasy to defraud in this area.

I can't see this still happening because most citizens in Ireland can't get disability when they have a legitimate disability and if they do a lot of them are forwarded to the community employment schemes, where they have to work or lose their payments.

I seriously can't imagine the social welfare still sending monies over to these people because how can the social welfare monitor whether they are working as well or abusing this.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    ah now come on

I could say the same to you.

I'm sure there is disability benefit fraud ongoing.

What it has to do with "non nationals" as above anyone else is what baffles me.

Is it acceptable if committed by Irish people?

Is it acceptable if committed by foreign nationals resident in Ireland?

Strange OP.

So anyhow, ignoring the troll on the forum wondering if anyone has anything interesting to say?

And do they continue to check annually if they are registered or you just have to prove it once and then they leave it to good faith?
    It only happened last year, presume it happened to all kids. If they couldn't prove the kids were in Ireland they were cut off.

Are you going to report these people seeing as they are ripping off the taxpayer (if it's true)

I mentioned that to these people but was laughed at. Gave me the impression blood is thicker than water sorta thing. They weren't prepared to rat their fellow countrymen up.

So anyhow, ignoring the troll on the forum wondering if anyone has anything interesting to say?
    Interesting, as in "he-or me mate told me about loads a dese non nationals claiming the doal"?

That's not very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

It's not just a small percentage of foreign nationals that are involved in this type of fraud, it's also a small percentage of Irish people, http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exaddict-in-17000-malaysia-benefits-fraud-avoids-prison-29177699.html

It's not just a small percentage of foreign nationals that are involved in this type of fraud, it's also a small percentage of Irish people, http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/exaddict-in-17000-malaysia-benefits-fraud-avoids-prison-29177699.html

Yes I'm aware of that and that's a good point also. That's also fraudulent of course. Are the benefits paid into the bank account with no need to "sign on"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

I doubt payments for disability etc would require the person to sign on, probably more likely that you would have to go for a yearly medical assessment or something like that but I don't know.

Yeh that was my impression. I would have thought having at least 6 monthly checks with the gp or with a social welfare officer would be manageable. Unless they are profoundly disabled ( terminal sickness, mental handicap etc). I think they are getting tighter with jobseekers so I don't see why they wouldn't do something to manage the sickness schemes too. Just to be fair to the tax payer. But that said I don't know. Maybe they have something like this in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You don't sign on when you are on disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Treehousetim

You can't blame people for trying. The state is to blame for being so unprotective of itself. As a nation we tend to err on the side of being too trusting and naive. Of course some people from poor economies (and irish also- in case I get battered by "the righteous" here) will exploit a weakness if its there. It's up to the gatekeepers in welfare to make the system less exploitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

I could say the same to you.

I'm sure there is disability benefit fraud ongoing.

What it has to do with "non nationals" as above anyone else is what baffles me.

Is it acceptable if committed by Irish people?

Is it acceptable if committed by foreign nationals resident in Ireland?

Strange OP.

I must admit that in this thread it is this post I find strange. I don't see where in the OP it says it's 'to do with "non-nationals" above anyone else.' OP clearly states "PEOPLE" who live abroad, and the example they have heard is from non-national workmates. If it is going on, theres is a strong possibility that Irish "PEOPLE" who have moved and now live abroad are defrauding the system too and are, therefore, also a target of this thread. The last question is completely irrelevant as the post is clearly about people living abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

zenno wrote: »
    You don't sign on when you are on disability.
    I doubt payments for disability etc would require the person to sign on, probably more likely that you would have to go for a yearly medical assessment or something like that but I don't know.

You've to sign for your weekly payment with photo id its not paid into bank accounts to reduce cases of fraudulent claimant's

Gatling wrote: »
    You've to sign for your weekly payment with photo id its not paid into bank accounts to reduce cases of fraudulent claimant's

Thanks Gatling. Why does it say this about disability on welfare website?
    Did they change it recently?

Disability Allowance is paid weekly in advance on a Wednesday. The date of the first payment is the Wednesday following the effective date of claim.

"There are two methods of payment:

Directly into the Post Office via Electronic Information Transfer. This allows for Household Budget facility.
    Direct payment weekly by Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) into a Bank Account or Building Society Account (NOT a mortgage account) or Credit Union (not all Credit Unions have this facility)"

Do they decide on a case to case basis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Do they decide on a case to case basis ?
    No, the claimant has the choice of payment method.

• Advertisement

No, disability, invalidity & carer payments can be paid into bank accounts. Jobseekers payments have to be collected in Post Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

say if it is put in a bank account, it can be traced as to where this money is withdrawn,
    if one is sick enough not to work, then they must be too sick to travel,
    only times i ever took off sick, i was not able to leave my home,
    are those who are drawing sick benefit supposed to give a doctors report each week,
    i dont know how the sick benefit work, have never been on sick benefit, so therefore i would not know anything about this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No, disability, invalidity & carer payments can be paid into bank accounts. Jobseekers payments have to be collected in Post Office.

I'm on disability and have been repeatedly told by the department that they don't pay it into bank accounts the payment must be signed for on a Wednesday every week

goat2 wrote: »
    i dont know how the sick benefit work, have never been on sick benefit, so therefore i would not know anything about this,
    Illness benefit = I am ill and cannot go into work for the short term
    Disability allowance - I have a disability that means I cannot work and it is expected to last for a year
    Invalidity pension - I have a disability and can never work again.

The short term ones need a doctors cert sent to the DSP each week. If it is longer term, they may ask for a monthly one, eg someone recovering from an operation that needs six months off will not need to supply weekly certs.

Disability allowance is means tested. invalidity pension is not means tested but it essentially means you will never work again. This requires a lot of doctor sign off and assessment by the DSP doctors as well.

chris445 wrote: »
    I must admit that in this thread it is this post I find strange. I don't see where in the OP it says it's 'to do with "non-nationals" above anyone else.' OP clearly states "PEOPLE" who live abroad, and the example they have heard is from non-national workmates.
    Perhaps you missed this
    I have a few non national workmates who tell tales of their fellow countrymen and countrywomen living back home and claiming disability from ireland.

Hmm?

I'm on disability and have been repeatedly told by the department that they don't pay it into bank accounts the payment must be signed for on a Wednesday every week
    You've been given incorrect information. Even the Disability Allowance Application Form itself (pdf doc) Part 4, Page 11 states:
    Your payment details: You can get your payment at your local post office or direct to your current,
    deposit or savings account in a financial institution. This account must be in your
    name or jointly held by you. Please complete one option below. The option for payment to a financial institution is the second option, where applicants fill in their bank details.

Also
    SW29 Info on Disability Allowance (pdf doc) .

Section 6 on page 13 states:

6. How do I get my payment?
    Disability Allowance can be paid weekly:
    • at your local post office by Social Services Card. This
    allows you to avail of the Household Budget Scheme.
    or
    • by direct payment into your account in a financial
    institution. This account must be a current, deposit or
    savings account, nota mortgage account.

Also, from welfare.ie Payment Related Issues Operational Guidlines :

PAYMENT METHODS.
    Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT). EFT is also available to persons in receipt of State Pension (Non-Contributory), Disability Allowance, Long-duration Illness Benefit, Maternity Benefit, Carer's Benefit, Farm Assist and Back-to-Work Allowance - while living in the State.

You should ring DSP Disability Allowance Section & ask them to post you out a direct payment to bank account form. It's a standard form, so I don't understand how they've never heard of it, or why they've repeatedly given you false information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

on the long term illness benefit, there are no checks once you start getting it

Advertisement