Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You also need to be making 5 figures to be accepted past the gate and the tiger is long dead.

wow a whole 5 figures...

sure that's only pretty much every working adult in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

lawred2 wrote: »
    wow a whole 5 figures...

sure that's only pretty much every working adult in this country...

Read on, bub.

I know it's not the 20k-plus that it was in the wanker years but still the long standers don't want people around courses that don't convey a certain image (equipment, transport, clothing, etc).

It was never 20k outside of a few elite clubs which are still expensive. The vast majority of golf clubs are affordable and inclusive.

You've got an odd (wrong) perception of the sport of golf. I doubt your mind will be opened by anything that'll be said here so I'll leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

styron wrote: »

Ahhhh here !

Yoga ? Exercise ? Dancing at a push but still.

If the above is true then for sex is the number one sport in the country and and **** (Males) between the ages 14-45 would still hammer swimming, let alone yoga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does "oulwans/oufellas standing chatting in the shallow end of a pool for half an hour but not swimming a stroke" count as participating in sport now?

Any pool I've ever seen in Ireland has one, rarely two, lanes with usually one, perhaps two, at a push three, people per lane actually swimming. But usually they can't agree whether it's clockwise or anticlockwise so they crash into each other. There may be a sign but who cares. Saw a punch-up in a hotel pool last year over this :pac:

Then some c*nt shows up doing the backstroke up the middle of the lane so nobody else can use it :rolleyes:

The rest are splashing about or just having a chat.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah yes, golf is a bigger participant sport than soccer. A very common occurrence in my estate is a load of young lads running around with their pitching wedges on a sunny evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

https://www.irishsport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Annual-Review-2016-Online.pdf
    federation of irish sport 2016 annual review, loads more in the pdf & the funding they got
    org.| clubs| participants
    fai| 2500| 450000
    ladies gaa| 1334|180474
    irfu|229| 164000
    golf(m)| 413| 151000
    gaa*| 2028| 127473
    camogie| 560| 100000
    athletics| 340| 58000
    golf(f)| 375| 41000
    swim ireland| 166| 16105
    handball(gaa)| 226| 15454
    cheerleading| 4| ?

*this seems to be the number at a summer camp for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone have an issue with their RSS link? I was away but now noticed my podcast Republic app hasnt updated in ten days. Reinstalled the app and it just fails to add the feed. Same on other apps. Patreon is paid up. Anyone have this issue?

Update Fixed.

Anyone have an issue with their RSS link? I was away but now noticed my podcast Republic app hasnt updated in ten days. Reinstalled the app and it just fails to add the feed. Same on other apps. Patreon is paid up. Anyone have this issue?

Update Fixed.

There was something about them changing URL's. Look up the SC Twitter as it was mentioned I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MercuryBoy

If the above is true then for sex is the number one sport in the country and and **** (Males) between the ages 14-45 would still hammer swimming, let alone yoga

Most Yoga classes are most definitely an excellent workout, even moreso with types like Vinyasa, you've obviously never attended one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

MercuryBoy wrote: »
    Most Yoga classes are most definitely an excellent workout, even moreso with types like Vinyasa, you've obviously never attended one!

Half of Fergie's Utd players in the 00's seemed to be doing it, I doubt they'd have bothered if it wasn't worthwhile. Both yoga and pilates are proper workouts, if you have the right sort of sadist leading the session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ahhhh here !

Yoga ? Exercise ? Dancing at a push but still.

Walking number one. You have to walk to get anywhere. Closely followed by wánking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

MercuryBoy wrote: »

i accept its a workout as well as Pilates but how is it a sport ?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Walking number one. You have to walk to get anywhere. Closely followed by wánking.

David O'Doherty's mate surely leads the way on that sort of cross-training - https://davidodoherty.bandcamp.com/track/****-on-a-bike

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jesus, this thread has gone down a bizarre rabbit hole over the last few days.

Anyone enjoy the interview with Colin O'Brien :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jesus, this thread has gone down a bizarre rabbit hole over the last few days.

Anyone enjoy the interview with Colin O'Brien :o
    Yeah, thought it was pretty good.
    There were a few questions I thought he was fluffy enough on answering - mostly around a consistent style of play - but generally seems like a decent chap.
    I think coaches like to portray that there are all working towards a consistent style of play in every age group etc - however the suggestion by Ken that surely the styles of play change with new managers (at senior level) was very appropriate.

"The Night King of the tactics twats"
    What a title for Jonathan Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Had a surreal moment earlier cycling home, listening to Ken and Eoin yapping away on the pod when I looked to my left and they were walking straight past me down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

how many subscribers have a genuine interest in women's football??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

How many give [or gave] a rats ass about what is happening before the baseball or in US college sports seasons before Murf talked about it :)

• Advertisement

How many give [or gave] a rats ass about what is happening before the baseball or in US college sports seasons before Murf talked about it :)

probably a lot more than ever cared or ever will care about ladies rugby, soccer, GAA etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Any other types of people you dont want to hear about, or is it just women... [Just wondering like ?]

Any other types of people you dont want to hear about, or is it just women... [Just wondering like ?]

ah I see what you did there...

You took a disinterest in ladies' team sports to mean a disinterest in women.

That's cool bro... I think that means you win the internet today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

probably a lot more than ever cared or ever will care about ladies rugby, soccer, GAA etc

Do you have any logic or rationale behind this stance, or are you just embracing your inner Nostradamus?

aloooof wrote: »
    Do you have any logic or rationale behind this stance, or are you just embracing your inner Nostradamus?

I suppose that was on the absolute side. Sure who knows what team sports will look like in a century from now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I suppose that was on the absolute side. Sure who knows what team sports will look like in a century from now....

Anyone think Delaney is talking waffle about the game last night?

30 years ago, top level rugby in this country was a load of pot-bellied solicitors and stick-legged accountants in the backs and a few beefy farmers in the forwards, being administered by their dandruff-bespeckled, dypsomaniac uncles. Give the girls a chance, maybe they'll be the next shower of unbearable self-congratulators.

tomwaits48 wrote: »

One of the things I skip.

tomwaits48 wrote: »

It's hard to avoid these days but no matter how much I'm told I should be interested in it, I just can't muster an interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's hard to avoid these days but no matter how much I'm told I should be interested in it, I just can't muster an interest in it.

It’s awful. We’re all supposed to buy into it, it’s being rammed down our throats. Even other women don’t have an interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It’s awful. We’re all supposed to buy into it, it’s being rammed down our throats. Even other women don’t have an interest in it.

It always reminds me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone think Delaney is talking waffle about the game last night?

Thought his reason for why he would choose Ronaldo over Messi was flawed anyway. Just because Ronaldo would be better than Messi in a team of donkeys. What kind of reasoning is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Maybe the skill level will pick up in the next few years with the influx of transgender players.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Maybe the skill level will pick up in the next few years with the influx of transgender players.

Lol’d. If I could thank that twice I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Thought his reason for why he would choose Ronaldo over Messi was flawed anyway. Just because Ronaldo would be better than Messi in a team of donkeys. What kind of reasoning is that?

Thought he explained himself fairly clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Didn't think Delaney was great on it either, his analysis of the Spurs games was even worse I thought. I sort of understand what he meant about Ronaldo/Messi but if he thinks Messi wouldn't have much impact playing for Waterford in the LOI then he's crazy. He'd run amok, same as Ronaldo would.

Glad I skipped the Damien Delaney bit. Messi v Ronaldo, ffs, it's been done to death. It's like apple vs android, even the fanboys are sick of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

corwill wrote: »
    30 years ago, top level rugby in this country was a load of pot-bellied solicitors and stick-legged accountants in the backs and a few beefy farmers in the forwards, being administered by their dandruff-bespeckled, dypsomaniac uncles. Give the girls a chance, maybe they'll be the next shower of unbearable self-congratulators.

Lansdowne Road was full for Ireland games so they were getting around 44K in for what was a completely amateur game then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Arghus wrote: »
    Thought he explained himself fairly clearly.

Clearly, but also idiotically. His way to separate and choose which is best would be who would do best up front for a long ball non-passing team.
    Andy Carroll would do better than either of them in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Glad I skipped the Damien Delaney bit. Messi v Ronaldo, ffs, it's been done to death. It's like apple vs android, even the fanboys are sick of it

In fairness that was only a small part of it, the majority of the conversation was not that. Personally, I thought he was grand I don't really know why people are complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Not his fault he was asked the question by Eoin.

Jesus the nit picking here is crazy for a few lined answer which he actually just said they are both unbelievable.

Didn't think Delaney was great on it either, his analysis of the Spurs games was even worse I thought. I sort of understand what he meant about Ronaldo/Messi but if he thinks Messi wouldn't have much impact playing for Waterford in the LOI then he's crazy. He'd run amok, same as Ronaldo would.

He used the phrase spins balls down the side quite a few times. And was talking about how Barca make it so hard by dominating the ball but Liverpool had more of it than Barca, I was convinced he hadnt seen the game at one stage.

Just started this one. A warning: Man-U fans might want to give this one a miss.

Ken Early,

Sergio Busquets: He's like the three eyed raven, he see's it all but he doesn't move much...

That made me bust out laughing!

Ken Early,

Sergio Busquets: He's like the three eyed raven, he see's it all but he doesn't move much...

That made me bust out laughing!

Same :D

• Advertisement

Just started this one. A warning: Man-U fans might want to give this one a miss.

I'm a United fan and I've listened to it, they don't do the nauseating 'famous night at Anfield' rubbish you will hear in most other places analyzing the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm delighted for The Pool (this version of them) and hope they enjoy the hell out if it.

But I don't need to hear about it any more.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm delighted for The Pool (this version of them) and hope they enjoy the hell out if it.

But I don't need to hear about it any more.
    Yeah, I didn't like the pool of Gerrard or Suarez, but I don't mind this one.

The players may change but the fans never do. I just hope Man City can hold up their end so there's not another two of these to come instead of one.

The players may change but the fans never do. I just hope Man City can hold up their end so there's not another two of these to come instead of one.

yerra from where I stand United fans are just as insufferable...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement