Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Don’t get the uncle Jim love, he was like a harmless taxi driver who wouldn’t shut up!!

I haven't got round to any of his SC contributions, but he truly was an atrocious commentator back in the day. Like George Hamilton at his worst all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I haven't got round to any of his SC contributions, but he truly was an atrocious commentator back in the day. Like George Hamilton at his worst all the time

Once he starts talking there's very little the presenter has to do to keep the conversation going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

kippy wrote: »
    Once he starts talking there's very little the presenter has to do to keep the conversation going.

I was thinking by the end of it that, (a) unless there's a historical event or topic that he can provide a particular insight into, I'm all stocked up on Uncle Jim for the foreseeable future, and (b) I'd say you wouldn't be telling Uncle Jim very much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

dulux99 wrote: »
    I don't know why they bothered with a football podcast yesterday.

Because it was Monday. That's their bread and butter. Don't hate the bread. Hate the lack of butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My West of Ireland brain guffawed knowingly at Ken pronouncing Louisburgh as if it was founded by a French King back in the day. He was bound to make that mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Arghus wrote: »
    My West of Ireland brain guffawed knowingly at Ken pronouncing Louisburgh as if it was founded by a French King back in the day. He was bound to make that mistake.

He stumbled over 'Nephin' too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Do you wanna collect pis.s for a living like him....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I just skip his segments. Maybe it's the residual memories of hearing him (unfortunately frequently growing up in Galway) talk ring in the media that make his ramblings just annoying to me.

I suppose most people from GAA stock in rural Ireland have many, many relatives with just as many quirky GAA anecdotes as Jim Kearney, so hearing another uncle on the radio isn't really riveting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I think the Uncle slot is keeping Murph relevant with something to add most times it is very cringy stuff (remember that quiz at the end of the TV shows which was Murphs only real contribution), being honest if he wasnt there he wouldnt be missed but Ken and Eoin are missed when they arent there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭CiaranW

Ah give it over, Murph is brilliant.
    I find him very funny!

I enjoy Murph's contributions too. Eoin and Ken are the driving force, but Murph gets more out of them.

CiaranW wrote: »
    Ah give it over, Murph is brilliant.
    I find him very funny!

I fail to see it but each to their own, I dont think he adds anything except interuptions which are not required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Used to be a Murph hater but this last few months, I think he has been very good on the show. Less interjecting and less one liner jokes plus the explanation of the one liner jokes is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Raoul wrote: »
    Used to be a Murph hater but this last few months, I think he has been very good on the show. Less interjecting and less one liner jokes plus the explanation of the one liner jokes is a good thing!

I too, use not to be a fan, but he has definitely dialled back the country schtick and one liners, to offer a more balanced output. He's an important cog in the machine. Also a lovely guy to meet in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Murph is grand. Even though he's a bit of a sesquipedalian, his one-liners can be humorous.

• Advertisement

I too, use not to be a fan, but he has definitely dialled back the country schtick and one liners, to offer a more balanced output. He's an important cog in the machine. Also a lovely guy to meet in person.

To be fair I havent listened to a cast in about 2 months as I have been away so maybe he has calmed it down but I still probably skip an episode if its just him and Eoin or Ken

I both like Murph's contributions and think he's important to SC, not least as a necessary foil to Ken in his capacity as the bollix of the group.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ken, I like him because he's a bollix, and he is excellent in the role of the group bollix. Any group without an entertaining bollix is all the poorer for the absence.

But every group needs someone to keep the group's bollix somewhat in check, sort of like the slave on the back of a triumphant Roman consul's chariot, whispering "ye're only an aul bollix" or words to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Raoul wrote: »

Only thing that annoys me about Murph is he has a Ger Gilroy like tendency to ask really long rambling questions. Especially when he's doing the GAA.

corwill wrote: »
    I both like Murph's contributions and think he's important to SC, not least as a necessary foil to Ken in his capacity as the bollix of the group.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ken, I like him because he's a bollix, and he is excellent in the role of the group bollix. Any group without an entertaining bollix is all the poorer for the absence.

But every group needs someone to keep the group's bollix somewhat in check, sort of like the slave on the back of a triumphant Roman consul's chariot, whispering "ye're only an aul bollix" or words to that effect.

Very true. Kind of like every team needs a Makelele or a Kante or a Giles to keep things ticking along and balance the play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Also as good as Ken is he hasnt a clue about any other sport apart from football.

Whereas Murph is very good at explaining the nuances of niche sports like what happened in the cricket. I think he is very good on the GAA also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

deisedude wrote: »
    Also as good as Ken is he hasnt a clue about any other sport apart from football.

Whereas Murph is very good at explaining the nuances of niche sports like what happened in the cricket. I think he is very good on the GAA also

Spot on. My biggest memory of this is the guffaw from Murph when Ken thought Leitrim's nickname was 'The Rossies' :pac:

Do Polish tinnies count as posh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

He knows alot about swimming too :)

Ken may only regularly talk about soccer but he also is one of Dublin's biggest fans. His knowledge and understanding of Gavin's army is unrivaled and I for one am waiting patiently for the next installment of the Fair View.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The whole point of Ken talking about GAA is that he hasn't a clue about GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Do you wanna collect pis.s for a living like him....

Roy Keane is such a nasty conceited bully. We all know the type.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The whole point of Ken talking about GAA is that he hasn't a clue about GAA.

Why should he be any different from most of the rest of the Dubs?

Re: Murph.

I mostly skip over their GAA coverage so I'll take other people's words for it, in the main. Though I've heard Uncle Jim a few times. Don't really get the love for him to be honest: an exhausting tiresome blatherer IMO. There's windbags like that in every pub in Ireland.

As people have said Ken's sporting knowledge doesn't stray too far beyond football, so you need someone there to compliment Eoin when they are dealing with other sports. Though I'm no expert on rugby, tennis, athletics either and I often feel Murph doesn't really posess much more meaningful knowledge about those subjects than I do. I never feel like I learn anything when I hear Murph talk about going ons in other sports.

He fills a curious and sometimes contradictory role at other times in the show. Somewhere between a good foil and Early bullsht detector and a beloved family pet; a golden retrevier that desperately wants nothing more than a pat of approval on the head from his master.

He's able to tug on Ken's kite string and bring the flights of fancy back to earth when it's occasionally needed.

On the other hand after every quip I can always visualise him scanning the room to see how many people laughed. I think he tries too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Murph's interview with the Ozzy journalist around the homophobic comments from Folau was absolutely outstanding

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I see Red Hurley is on the Six O Clock Show, hope they grilled him on the dodgy cheques he'd be giving young lads on golf courses.

Can't wait for the Castel Di Sangro review, the author was a bit of a lunatic, asking tough questions of the owner and implying he had heavy mob connections and also giving the manager who was a bit like Trap for Ireland tactical advice.

• Advertisement

Re: Murph.

I mostly skip over their GAA coverage so I'll take other people's words for it, in the main. Though I've heard Uncle Jim a few times. Don't really get the love for him to be honest: an exhausting tiresome blatherer IMO. There's windbags like that in every pub in Ireland.

As people have said Ken's sporting knowledge doesn't stray too far beyond football, so you need someone there to compliment Eoin when they are dealing with other sports. Though I'm no expert on rugby, tennis, athletics either and I often feel Murph doesn't really posess much more meaningful knowledge about those subjects than I do. I never feel like I learn anything when I hear Murph talk about going ons in other sports.

He fills a curious and sometimes contradictory role at other times in the show. Somewhere between a good foil and Early bullsht detector and a beloved family pet; a golden retrevier that desperately wants nothing more than a pat of approval on the head from his master.

He's able to tug on Ken's kite string and bring the flights of fancy back to earth when it's occasionally needed.

On the other hand after every quip I can always visualise him scanning the room to see how many people laughed. I think he tries too hard.

meh, I think you tried too hard yourself with this OTT post.

meh, I think you tried too hard yourself with this OTT post.

Yeah, there probably was an irony there, but, hey, it's a discussion board.

Yeah, there probably was an irony there, but, hey, it's a discussion board.

I can actually hear Murph saying that.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Roy Keane is such a nasty conceited bully. We all know the type.

The stuff he comes out with is hilarious, but definitely wouldn't like to work with the guy.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The stuff he comes out with is hilarious, but definitely wouldn't like to work with the guy.

Using his position of power to goad a room full of wealthy footballers into laughing at some guy doing what he considers a menial job isn't hilarious.

He's the worst type of person.

Half the world laughing along with him is depressing.

Surprised the lads pretty much joined in.

Jaysus Eoin gets around, he will be fronting the Premier Sports Premiership coverage. Good man.

and I say this is good, because on a related note, I wish Ken would go in person to more EPL games; since he left Newstalk his football coverage can sometimes be too centered around what's been shown and discussed on TV rather than what he sees with his own eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Using his position of power to goad a room full of wealthy footballers into laughing at some guy doing what he considers a menial job isn't hilarious.

Lighten up. You weren't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I read 'The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro" about 5 years ago and loved it. Conor O'Shea was brutal today reviewing it, and did not do the book any justice. Spent most of the podcast talking about his own experience, and seemed completely incapable of dissecting the book or coming up with any interesting takes. Disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

buyer95 wrote: »
    I read 'The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro" about 5 years ago and loved it. Conor O'Shea was brutal today reviewing it, and did not do the book any justice. Spent most of the podcast talking about his own experience, and seemed completely incapable of dissecting the book or coming up with any interesting takes. Disappointing

Why bother have a special guest reader. The lads end up re reading it anyway. Would much prefer kens thoughts on it rather than some B list sports personality.

I'd agree, in that situation he was definitely an arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

buyer95 wrote: »

Such a shame, brilliant book

Recommend it to everyone

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just purchased, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

The interview with Catriona Crowe on their RTÉ show is well worth listen. I never heard of her before but she’s a great guest - smart, funny and interesting. I’d say Ken enjoyed the conversation that continued off air

(Nothing to do with sport, by the way)

Mid summer and they are at 11.4K patreon subscribers.

So much for the doom and gloomers predicting they would suffer.

Also that is a lot of money they are making. They each should be getting a salary of over 100k a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Beersmith wrote: »
    Mid summer and they are at 11.4K patreon subscribers.

So much for the doom and gloomers predicting they would suffer.

Also that is a lot of money they are making. They each should be getting a salary of over 100k a year!

I'm sure they are doing well financially but doubt they are making that level of profit. Rent, overheads, contributors all cost a lot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plus profits from merchandise, events, and whatever RTE is paying them :)

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Plus profits from merchandise, events, and whatever RTE is paying them :)

Plus articles in papers. Some TV.

Well gross would put them around 650,000e a year. Their studio is tiny but add that guest costs and miscellaneous lets say that takes away a generous 150,000e so 500,000e net. That would be 100,000 gross pay each.

With Eoin on de telly with Premier Sports every Saturday in a few weeks time, I wonder at what point might side projects become the main event for one or more the SC gang. IIRC, Eoin did some compere work on Setanta a few years back, and I remember thinking he was very good, and would eventually turn up in such a role on RTE. Of course, I forgot the most vital part of one's resume for a job in RTE, which is a relative (at least one) in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm sure they are doing well financially but doubt they are making that level of profit. Rent, overheads, contributors all cost a lot of money

I've always wondered about contributors. Maybe it's just the noseyness in me but I'd be intrigued to hear what kind of money say, Malachy Clerkin would command for his segment after the golf.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement