Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

lawred2 wrote: »
    ah jaysus

shur we better all shut up then :rolleyes:

No, just don’t go round thinking your a know it all. Be aware of your limitations and practice humility. Wooly talks like he’s the GAA’s tactical brain of this generation and his tactical insights are not anything I’d place any faith in. His tendency to pressure his Co-panelists to agree with him is also a turn-off.

He’s not Tony Romo basically so don’t act like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Dots1982 wrote:
    No, just don’t go round thinking your a know it all. Be aware of your limitations and practice humility. Wooly talks like he’s the GAA’s tactical brain of this generation and his tactical insights are not anything I’d place any faith in. His tendency to pressure his Co-panelists to agree with him is also a turn-off.

I'd have the opposite opinion of him really, well with the hurling show anyway. He's always saying he's no hurling expert but gives his opinion about things to the panelists who a lot of the time they'd correct him.

The football show alright he is a bit more outspoken, obviously because he played at a high enough level and I can imagine he was probably a pain in the hole to manage. But I think he's very enjoyable in that too. Isn't that what all pundits do? Try to convince the other panelists to agree with them. It's certainly more enjoyable to listen to than other bland Gaa podcasts.

But he's a love him or hate him type of character I suppose!

17togo wrote: »
    I Isn't that what all pundits do? Try to convince the other panelists to agree with them.

Personally I want intelligent insightful analysis which wooly’s show sometimes provides but a lot of what makes up his show is wooly’s own opinions that are often dopey. Won’t bother giving examples as the thread isn’t about wooly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Haven't had a chance to listen to today yet but from reading the programme notes, very disappointed that they haven't touched on Dundalk's game tonight. Maybe they did earlier in week and i missed it.

Guffy wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to listen to today yet but from reading the programme notes, very disappointed that they haven't touched on Dundalk's game tonight. Maybe they did earlier in week and i missed it.

If you want a pod on LOI, LOI weekly with Johnny ward and Dan McDonnell is the go-to option.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If you want a pod on LOI, LOI weekly with Johnny ward and Dan McDonnell is the go-to option.

That's not really the point i was making. I appreciate that there are dedicated pods, but its a general sports podcast that has dedicated alternatives to pretty much every topic they discuss.

I was expressing my disappointment that they didn't touch on massive euro games for two fairly well supported Irish clubs.

I imagine they'll review Dundalk game tomorrow to some degree and mention Rovers at the same time tomorrow.

That's not really the point i was making. I appreciate that there are dedicated pods, but its a general sports podcast that has dedicated alternatives to pretty much every topic they discuss.

I was expressing my disappointment that they didn't touch on massive euro games for two fairly well supported Irish clubs.

I imagine they'll review Dundalk game tomorrow to some degree and mention Rovers at the same time tomorrow.

Something truly remarkable would need to happen in the LOI for SC to cover it in detail. It’s not a topic within their comfort zone so it’s debatable whether they can add much with their coverage. They haven’t even done much on the FAI’s current issues which is the future of the game here, Ken couldn’t be arsed to go to the AGM. SC cover the Irish international scene, that’s pretty much it on the domestic front.

Something truly remarkable would need to happen in the LOI for SC to cover it in detail. It’s not a topic within their comfort zone so it’s debatable whether they can add much with their coverage. They haven’t even done much on the FAI’s current issues which is the future of the game here, Ken couldn’t be arsed to go to the AGM. SC cover the Irish international scene, that’s pretty much it on the domestic front.

Cause the chess world cup is right up there in their comfort levels.

Cause the chess world cup is right up there in their comfort levels.

Point stands. Majority of SC’s sports content is English soccer, Irish senior international side, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Neymar. GAA, golf majors, boxing and US make up almost all the rest.

If I was interested in hearing people getting into the weeds of domestic club soccer then I’d have given up on SC ages ago.

LOI weekly is great though if you’ve not heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

LOI weekly is great!

The lads did go to a couple of games early on in the season and I thought that this was finally the year they were going to mention the LOI more regularly but nope.

I don't mind if they don't cover the LOI but surely they should at least mention Irish teams in the Europa and Champions League qualifiers. Regardless of how much they know about the teams, they know enough to sit and watch the two matches on the TV and give their opinion on it. I really think it should be a given that they do that much. It's not like it is a different sport where they couldn't possibly comprehend what was happening and report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Point stands. Majority of SC’s sports content is English soccer, Irish senior international side, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Neymar. GAA, golf majors, boxing and US make up almost all the rest.

If I was interested in hearing people getting into the weeds of domestic club soccer then I’d have given up on SC ages ago.

LOI weekly is great though if you’ve not heard it.

And Rugby is a fairly big part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Really enjoyed Ken's interview with Tim MacGabhann, have a reading list off the back of it.

Also hanging for a trip to El Grito.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Interesting that almost all the best journalists in the UK have been approached/signed up by The Athletic while poor Miguel is still stuck doing his usual uninsightful schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Interesting that almost all the best journalists in the UK have been approached/signed up by The Athletic while poor Miguel is still stuck doing his usual uninsightful schtick.
    Really interesting in seeing how the Athletic works out. Signed up for a year with 50% off. They also do podcasts (none for soccer yet) so wonder will writers still be able to appear on others like SC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Really interesting in seeing how the Athletic works out. Signed up for a year with 50% off. They also do podcasts (none for soccer yet) so wonder will writers still be able to appear on others like SC

Am about to sign up as well but just wondering if the us site is included too? They have some NFL writers I'd like to be able to follow during the season.

Am about to sign up as well but just wondering if the us site is included too? They have some NFL writers I'd like to be able to follow during the season.

Yes it's included. I signed up yesterday.

Yes it's included. I signed up yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

He's a strange fella, before I gave up twitter I was following him and he is so unbelievably arrogant and yet the most thin skinned, defensive person you are likely to encounter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

terrydel wrote:
    He's a strange fella, before I gave up twitter I was following him and he is so unbelievably arrogant and yet the most thin skinned, defensive person you are likely to encounter.

I'm surprised he has time to do any journalism with the amount of spats he gets into on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Miguel is an annoying voiced fecker, but writes middling to well enough. Be more surprised Ken wasn't offered anything to be honest.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    I'm surprised he has time to do any journalism with the amount of spats he gets into on Twitter.

Good point, it's pretty sad stuff.

Miguel is an annoying voiced fecker, but writes middling to well enough. Be more surprised Ken wasn't offered anything to be honest.

Always found him to be mediocre at best right back to his days in the tribune, his success is baffling to me. Don't recall anything memorable he's ever written, and if we had an equivalent of best American sports writing over here, he wouldn't be allowed buy it never mind feature in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Murph kind of indirectly answered the question today that was posed recently about whether the guests are paid. Talking about Oisin getting his predictions right for GAA on today’s pod:

“...this is what we’re paying him to do, to get predictions right”

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Anyone who thinks that regular contributors to SC aren’t getting paid are seriously deluded.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that regular contributors to SC aren’t getting paid are seriously deluded.

A lad I know got around 300 euro for doing local radio co-comm on a club match. This guy, I cannot stress this enough, is NOT a name at all. I have no idea what the going rate is but how it’s crossed anyone’s mind that they don’t get paid I just don’t know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ken early is on today’s arseblog podcast.

Thank god. Today’s sc was dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Not liking Eoin advertising Premier Sports. Fine, talk about being on it but I do feel like I am being advertised to! HMPH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Badly need the football to start. Ken is going a bit too deep into his hot takes and I have zero interest in GAA.
    The Richard Dunne interview was good. Crazy how the youth setup is done in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Cienciano wrote: »
    The Richard Dunne interview was good. Crazy how the youth setup is done in France.

His salary at a premier league club only 20 years ago shocked me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

terrydel wrote: »

What do you expect he is friends with the biggest troll on Twitter and defended his friend for the comments he made about Jim Gavin and Shane Lowry

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

kilns wrote: »
    What do you expect he is friends with the biggest troll on Twitter and defended his friend for the comments he made about Jim Gavin and Shane Lowry

What did he say to defend those comments? I must have missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Cienciano wrote: »
    Badly need the football to start. Ken is going a bit too deep into his hot takes and I have zero interest in GAA.

If I had a euro for everytime Cienciano mentioned that he had no interest in GAA on this forum I would have enough to subscribe to Second Captains for a few months.

Really enjoyed the Richard Dunne interview. He was very interesting to listen to.

Dunne is far more intelligent than I had anticipated, fair play to him, really good listen. Ken's annual Arseblog appearance is always a good listen too, despite the wannabe gameshow host voiced presenter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dunne is always great. No airs or graces.

• Advertisement

I must say, I am looking forward to Ken's analysis of Frank Lampard during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If I had a euro for everytime Cienciano mentioned that he had no interest in GAA on this forum I would have enough to subscribe to Second Captains for a few months.

I'm going to start listening just to spite you :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've had that Bayern Munich song in my head all week after I felt compelled to Google it after Ken's description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Love the podcast, but I do feel that Ken has too much of an unhealthy hard on for David Luiz.. Just because they both share the same hair-style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Love the podcast, but I do feel that Ken has too much of an unhealthy hard on for David Luiz.. Just because they both share the same hair-style.

I think thats the joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Looking through Youtube there, managed to find this gem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I presume Ken is over in Sligo tonight, in the VIP lounge: https://sligohub.com/sligo-summer-festival-august-2019-line-up/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

corwill wrote: »
    I presume Ken is over in Sligo tonight, in the VIP lounge: https://sligohub.com/sligo-summer-festival-august-2019-line-up/

That line up looks proper good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I guess here's as good a place to post this as any due to the crossover. Has anyone signed up to The Athletic? I'm halfway through the free trial. Seems *ok*' , a few interesting articles, particularly Adam Crafton's that I enjoyed. If I don't unsubscribe I'll pay a fiver a month or something. Doesn't seem to be a massive amount of daily content. I'm seeing some of the journalists have affiliate links for half that price. Can I just cancel my trial and sign up through one of them? Anyone done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Still Ill wrote:
    I guess here's as good a place to post this as any due to the crossover. Has anyone signed up to The Athletic? I'm halfway through the free trial. Seems *ok*' , a few interesting articles, particularly Adam Crafton's that I enjoyed. If I don't unsubscribe I'll pay a fiver a month or something. Doesn't seem to be a massive amount of daily content. I'm seeing some of the journalists have affiliate links for half that price. Can I just cancel my trial and sign up through one of them? Anyone done this?

I signed up last week as it was 50% for the year. Some good stuff on it but still finding its feet a bit, £30 for the year is a great price though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I signed up last week as it was 50% for the year. Some good stuff on it but still finding its feet a bit, £30 for the year is a great price though

Yeah, kinda feel the same. Half price seems decent, but I don't think I could justify the whole thing.

Signed up for the months trial last week. Some interesting pieces (Norwich fans journey to Anfield, the long road to Anfield, Arsenal's best kit, Newcastle fan protest) but nothing you wouldn't read in the football section of The Guardian regularly enough. The mobile app landing page has lots of US content too, which is annoying. Don't think I'll be paying once trial finishes 6.13 a month to the lads is enough for my sports journalism I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Had a hearty chuckle at Ken's piece on Ole's response to being asked about Pogba.

"If Pogba comes into your office saying he wants to move to Real Madrid, just roll a ball along the floor to him and he'll be after it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Very US centric alright. Stupid you HAVE to pick a favourite team. I don't have one!
    I prefer pods to reading articles so just cancelled my 7 day trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

GAA Coverage - I really like Oisin Mc and Mike Quirke but I'd love a bit more indepth analysis on the Mayo malfunction other than "they should have just slowed the game down". I think Murph's absence was felt here (sometimes maligned on this thread ;)). Just give us a few real examples from the game that provide a bit more insight than me or the person in the pub would.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement