Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Go listen to the GAA hour then

I'm actually learning listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

lawred2 wrote: »
    Go listen to the GAA hour then

I'm actually learning listening

I thought his comment was fair enough. I still enjoyed the pod though and their analysis but it is fair enough if he thinks they could do with being more in depth than saying someone should feign a head injury. Surprised Eoin didn't say anything about the dangers of people feigning head injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Raoul wrote: »
    I thought his comment was fair enough. I still enjoyed the pod though and their analysis but it is fair enough if he thinks they could do with being more in depth than saying someone should feign a head injury. Surprised Eoin didn't say anything about the dangers of people feigning head injuries.

My post came across wrong. Was actually in agreement. The learning bit was in reference to the GAA hour. It's GAA analysis far outstrips second captains at the moment.

I was in agreement with the poster I quoted. Just made a hames of it.

lawred2 wrote: »
    My post came across wrong. Was actually in agreement. The learning bit was in reference to the GAA hour. It's GAA analysis far outstrips second captains at the moment.

I was in agreement with the poster I quoted. Just made a hames of it.

Ha no worries! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If you can prove you haven’t listened to any of the gaa podcasts can you get a partial refund from second captains/patreon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

If you can prove you haven’t listened to any of the gaa podcasts can you get a partial refund from second captains/patreon ?

What do you think?

Of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

"Waiter, I ate around the coleslaw in this sandwich, be sure to deduct €0.53 from my bill."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Thankfully it's mainly just limited to a couple of months of the year. Probably the only sport that I couldn't bear listening to on Second Captains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

You know you are a tightarse if you are looking for a refund of €0.63 cent or whatever arbitrary amount out of your fiver a month subscription for 24 hours or so of content

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    You know you are a tightarse if you are looking for a refund of €0.63 cent or whatever arbitrary amount out of your fiver a month subscription for 24 hours or so of content

I wouldn’t mind paying the full €5 if there were 4-5 football podcasts in addition to the gaa podcast... but the fact that there is only 2 dedicated football podcasts and a gaa podcast ...its basically an insane setup....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I wouldn’t mind paying the full €5 if there were 4-5 football podcasts in addition to the gaa podcast... but the fact that there is only 2 dedicated football podcasts and a gaa podcast ...its basically an insane setup....

Basically insane :pac:

Choose a different podcast.

elefant wrote: »
    Basically insane :pac:

Choose a different podcast.

I would say less then 5% of subscribers listen to the gaa podcast.... it’s like running a bus service where nobody lives.... hence: insane setup

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CaptivePortal

I would say less then 5% of subscribers listen to the gaa podcast.... it’s like running a bus service where nobody lives.... hence: insane setup

hahaha. good stat

Reading this thread i'm convinced that a lot of the "football only" people hate sport and only like football for the soap opera aspect of it; something which Ken is great at describing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

How often do they really go deep into the analysis of a football game, it is usually based around transfers and potential moves or the cult of personality within the current game (Mourinho, Neymar, Ronaldo etc)

GAA does not have that and therefore what can only be discussed are the games itself and if you dont have a vested interest then it wont interest you, whereas the football stuff is interesting as it more gossip and opininated stuff

Whereas Rugby is mostly a pure tactic conversation which can bore those not interested in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

deisedude wrote: »

Yeah, EltonJohn69, it's no sacrifice at all:P

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »
    How often do they really go deep into the analysis of a football game, it is usually based around transfers and potential moves or the cult of personality within the current game (Mourinho, Neymar, Ronaldo etc)

GAA does not have that and therefore what can only be discussed are the games itself and if you dont have a vested interest then it wont interest you, whereas the football stuff is interesting as it more gossip and opininated stuff

Whereas Rugby is mostly a pure tactic conversation which can bore those not interested in the game

I wholeheartedly agree ! I find gaa to, for the most part, attract only very bland players/sports people... hence the sport does not stand up to a multi dimensional analysis

I wholeheartedly agree ! I find gaa to, for the most part, attract only very bland players/sports people... hence the sport does not stand up to a multi dimensional analysis

"multi dimensional analysis" actual analysis of football matches is minimal to non-existent. all the rest is business analysis and as much as i do enjoy most of it is paper thin

"multi dimensional analysis" actual analysis of football matches is minimal to non-existent. all the rest is business analysis and as much as i do enjoy most of it is paper thin

I think it’s a dangerous road to go down when you want football to apologize for having such brilliant characters such as David Luiz, Lampard, Zlatan

I think it’s a dangerous road to go down when you want football to apologize for having such brilliant characters such as David Luiz, Lampard, Zlatan

Gah has Jim Gavin; need i say anymore. checkmate!

Gah has Jim Gavin; need i say anymore. checkmate!

Jim Gavin is a poor man’s Clive Woodward.
    Game....Set.... Match (Centre Court)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The difference is GAA players and coaches do not need raise their own brand awareness to increase their earning potential, football is nearly a sideshow at times to the cult of personality that currently exists in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

There are 4-5 football podcasts. You pay a fiver for a month. Do you honestly expect 4-5 podcasts, a week, for a fiver? That would indeed be an insane setup.

And others comparing it to the GAA hour is laughable. The GAA took the correct decision to distance itself from gambling in light of the nationwide epidemic among so many of our young men. That was the responsible thing to do and I didn't hear one complaint from anyone - far from it - they were lauded for not taking that source of easy income. What does Colm Parkinson do in return? Takes PaddyPower on-board as a sponsor of his GAA podcast and dedicates large parts of every show discussing tactical betting, spreads, or whatever horse****e that encourages, or associates, gambling with the game. An out and out sham and I wouldn't give him, or those conniving bastards, the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How is it insane? They've never covered only soccer exclusively. It's not like they suddenly sprung it on people. They've always been a "sports" podcast rather than a soccer podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't give a shyte about GAA and would happily never listen to SC talk about it, but I accept at this time of the year they are going to cover it a fair amount - it's the business end to the season. I sometimes feel though that they're covering it out of obligation, rather than enjoyment.

I've wondered here on the thread before about how much of the audience is interested in the football coverage and nothing else. 70%-80%? I don't have a problem with them covering other sports or whatever, but if they only covered football and nothing else I don't think I'd be too put out. I started listening to them back in the Off The Ball days and I used to listen to The Football show every night, very rarely bothered to tune into the first two hours. I think the football show is what built their audience.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't give a shyte about GAA and would happily never listen to SC talk about it, but I accept at this time of the year they are going to cover it a fair amount - it's the business end to the season. I sometimes feel though that they're covering it out of obligation, rather than enjoyment.

I'd say Ken is not too bothered about GAA alright apart from when he finds something amusing about it but Eoin and Murph are definitely big into it.

Simon of course is a rugby man.

Personally I like the diversity of sports coverage but I'd watch any sport apart from maybe horse racing or motor racing.

I think a tiered pricing system should be adopted by the second captains... so those who want to opt out of gaa coverage can and not be finically penalized....

I'd say Ken is not too bothered about GAA alright apart from when he finds something amusing about it but Eoin and Murph are definitely big into it.

Simon of course is a rugby man.

Ah, yeah, I know the boys, other than Ken, are genuine fans of GAA, but - I dunno - most of their GAA coverage, to my ears anyway, sounds kind of pedestrian and they're going through the motions a bit with it.

Football is what makes them come alive when they talk about it and they get really analytical and into it when they talk about rugby, but they just seem to "talk" about GAA. I'm sure they love the games and all, but their GAA coverage always feels a bit flat to me.

I've wondered here on the thread before about how much of the audience is interested in the football coverage and nothing else. 70%-80%? I don't have a problem with them covering other sports or whatever, but if they only covered football and nothing else I don't think I'd be too put out. I started listening to them back in the Off The Ball days and I used to listen to The Football show every night, very rarely bothered to tune into the first two hours. I think the football show is what built their audience.

My main reasons for subscribing are;

1) Ken
    2) Soccer
    3) Gaelic Football

I enjoy Ken's political episodes as well, but they're like a bonus show as there is no consistency to how often he does them. I did listen to US Murph but mostly for the banter and in recent months have barely ever listened to it. For a fiver a month, for me, it's a solid journalistic investment.

Ah, yeah, I know the boys, other than Ken, are genuine fans of GAA, but - I dunno - most of their GAA coverage, to my ears anyway, sounds kind of pedestrian and they're going through the motions a bit with it.

Football is what makes them come alive when they talk about it and they get really analytical and into it when they talk about rugby, but they just seem to "talk" about GAA. I'm sure they love the games and all, but their GAA coverage always feels a bit flat to me.

Actually think their GAA coverage has been much better this year. Last year it really seemed like only token coverage but then again there was a football World Cup on as well during the Summer.

hankless wrote: »
    My main reasons for subscribing are;

1) Ken
    2) Soccer
    3) Gaelic Football

I enjoy Ken's political episodes as well, but they're like a bonus show as there is no consistency to how often he does them. I did listen to US Murph but mostly for the banter and in recent months have barely ever listened to it. For a fiver a month, for me, it's a solid journalistic investment.

No. No complaints from me either in the value for money stakes - more than happy to support the boys for a fiver a month. It is good value.

• Advertisement

No. No complaints from me either in the value for money stakes - more than happy to support the boys for a fiver a month. It is good value.

Absolutely.. Happy to support them. Don't spend many better fivers every month. I just skip the GAA stuff and a decent amount of the rugby stuff. I'm in it mainly for the football, but am happy to listen the the other bits that they have on from other sports too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I like their GAA football but not their GAA hurling coverage.
    Love watching rugby, but cant listen to it being talked about either by pundits or players.
    Each to their own and great value for me

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

we have a scumbag of the week right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Happy paying for the football shows, players chair and political pods as well as the odd bonus interview they do with the likes of Richard Dunne etc.

If there was an option to pay less for no gah podcasts (& no murph haha!) I'd jump on it, as my opinion of gah was formed by pricks in school and college getting away with murder cos they were "good GAA men" and I find the games themselves incredibly boring. But realistically the lads have a good thing going and aren't going to complicate their pricing strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You can't be serious. I enjoy any type of sports coverage by these lads, mainly due to the humour/craic. Theres plenty soccer coverage out there as things stand. Very little of it is actually focused on the soccer itself but more on the managers and BS that goes on around the sport as the sport itself is generally a boring game played by overpaid and uninterested professionals.
    Who really cares if Mourinho fell out with the physio or if Kloop eats peas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This thread regularly leaves me puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

kippy wrote: »
    You can't be serious. I enjoy any type of sports coverage by these lads, mainly due to the humour/craic. Theres plenty soccer coverage out there as things stand. Very little of it is actually focused on the soccer itself but more on the managers and BS that goes on around the sport as the sport itself is generally a boring game played by overpaid and uninterested professionals.
    Who really cares if Mourinho fell out with the physio or if Kloop eats peas?

Rather hear about Klopp atin peas than Murph's auld wan making 'de hang sandwiches' or whatever parochial republic of telly level guff she does be on about!

Does Klopp actually eats peas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Does Klopp actually eats peas ?

Mad man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

kilns wrote: »

Not true the lads go on about mourinho/ pep etc but they also analyse the games and the tactics in the sport itself. You wouldn’t ever have guys like Johnathan Wilson or Tim Vickery or Michael Cox or Rory Smith as guests if you weren’t interested in discussing that side of the game.

How can you argue that Rugby and GAA are more likely than soccer to bore those not interested in those games? People who are not interested in soccer generally despise the wall to wall coverage they don’t love “the gossip or opinionated stuff”. If you’ve decided you’re not interested in a sport you probably won’t enjoy a discussion about it.

You’re a soccer fan who wants more soccer chat it’s as simple as that but the lads are running a sports podcast which suits a lot of Irish people that track multiple sports and have a passing interest in others. There’s loads of soccer pods if that’s what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

The way some people are giving out about the GAA shows it's clear that they don't even listen to them and are happy to just disregard them

Thought the GAA shows have been good enough this year, not Duignans biggest fan but love the two football lads, Murph is very passionate about it and does add a bit to the discussions (will admit that sometimes he doesn't add much to other discussions and tries to be too funny)

One thing that did annoy me a bit was that Mayo seemed to be the main talking point of most shows, yes they usually have the best stories but it gets a bit repetitive

Ah, lads.. We all knew what we were signing up for. It's a general sports podcast.. Listen to the bits that interest you and if you feel like you're not getting your fiver's worth then maybe have an extra pint every month instead or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Still Ill wrote: »
    Ah, lads.. We all knew what we were signing up for. It's a general sports podcast.. Listen to the bits that interest you and if you feel like you're not getting your fiver's worth then maybe have an extra pint every month instead or something.

I'll often ask the bar man in my local for a partial refund if I don't finish my pint. I should only be paying for what I drink.

The way some people are giving out about the GAA shows it's clear that they don't even listen to them and are happy to just disregard them

Thought the GAA shows have been good enough this year, not Duignans biggest fan but love the two football lads, Murph is very passionate about it and does add a bit to the discussions (will admit that sometimes he doesn't add much to other discussions and tries to be too funny)

One thing that did annoy me a bit was that Mayo seemed to be the main talking point of most shows, yes they usually have the best stories but it gets a bit repetitive

There wasn't much else worthwhile talking about was there? It's been an awfully boring championship, the Mayo Donegal match being about the only memorable game.

I'll often ask the bar man in my local for a partial refund if I don't finish my pint. I should only be paying for what I drink.

I bring a weighing scales with me and insist the barman provides 473.176475 grams (a pint) of beer.

If 473.176475 grams doesn't fit in the glass I am obviously entitled to reimbursement for the over-spill.

• Advertisement

I don’t think that’s a correct analogy.... if the bar man serverd your 4/5 of a Guinness pint (football content) along with 1/5 of a cider pint (gaa content).... you would be more then entitled to ask for partial refund or at least a full pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I don’t think that’s a correct analogy.... if the bar man serverd your 4/5 of a Guinness pint  (football content)  along with 1/5 of a cider pint (gaa content).... you would be more then entitled  to ask for partial refund or at least a full pint of Guinness
    Its sports podcast not a soccer one. If the Totally Football Show started doing one show a week on GAA then I'd understand where you're coming from maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I don’t think that’s a correct analogy.... if the bar man serverd your 4/5 of a Guinness pint (football content) along with 1/5 of a cider pint (gaa content).... you would be more then entitled to ask for partial refund or at least a full pint of Guinness

No, if you'd signed up to a football podcast, and had gotten a mixture of football and other sports your analogy might work. Or if you didn't want to pay for political podcasts you'd have a point, but since they're once every two months of, it's closer to getting a Guinness head on your eighth pint of cider (I know a person who used to drink this).

I presumed the OP was joking when he posted about wanting a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

hankless wrote: »
    it's a solid journalistic investment.

I always found the "independent journalism" schtick a bit of a spoof, they aren't breaking exclusive stories or anything, it's usually just the lads talking about the events of the weekend (which is grand)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement