Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Hard to be critical? They Are being asked to comment on a particular match that had just taken place. The performance should 100% be open to critical analysis, otherwise there's no point in having a panel or discussion. Tempering what the analysts can say by telling them "don't go too hard" is absolutely unprofessional.

Exactly . If I could thank this post twice I would

#teamofus. More like #teamofthem

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CaptivePortal

NeonWolf wrote: »
    I love rugby . My favourite game . But it has been hijacked by a wealthy subset in this country. It doesn’t sit well . Thornley won’t criticise. Neither will Wood Kinsella or O Driscoll to name a few. Neil Francis is commander in chief of the spoof brigade.
    They are all set

“Hijacked by a wealthy subset” 😂 you better sit down before you hear about the entire history of rugby in Ireland.

“Hijacked by a wealthy subset” 😂 you better sit down before you hear about the entire history of rugby in Ireland.

Delighted with what happened to them . The biggest bunch of blowhards going*.

*A planet rugby forum poll had Irish as the biggest blowhards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ewan is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone at the show yesterday? Any good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I know they normally keep it Mon - Fri, but I was hoping they might release the live show as a pod yesterday... I guess they will this coming week?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Hard to be critical? They Are being asked to comment on a particular match that had just taken place. The performance should 100% be open to critical analysis, otherwise there's no point in having a panel or discussion. Tempering what the analysts can say by telling them "don't go too hard" is absolutely unprofessional.

RTE coverage is brutal. Stephen Ferris's greatest insight was the Japenese won't go down with a fight. However I did enjoy seeing Jamie Heaslip disappearing and reappearing on the set of Teletubbies as part of the "in-game analysis".

Meanwhile on the highlights show - Fiona Coughlan machine guns out her cliche's. There must be a better female analyst out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Murph talking about the Mendy/Silva racism thing: "There are shades levels of this"

A couple of years ago Ken refused to bring back Ken Burley because both times he went on Welsh radio giving them loads of shít before the match and the team ended up losing. And it's happened again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cienciano wrote: »
    Murph talking about the Mendy/Silva racism thing: "There are shades levels of this"

Caught that too lmao.

Also, Murph...stfu when DOD is making jokes. You don't need to try to be as funny as the comedian.

Raoul wrote: »
    Caught that too lmao.

Also, Murph...stfu when DOD is making jokes. You don't need to try to be as funny as the comedian.

Murph is exactly as funny as the professional comedian.....which is not at all

Murph is exactly as funny as the professional comedian.....which is not at all

DOD is great, I love when he's on

each to their own; while others turn off the gaa or rugby i'll be switching off as soon as i hear that gob****e

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I was just loading up the thread to say that I can't stand him and am sick of SC pandering to him!!

each to their own; while others turn off the gaa or rugby i'll be switching off as soon as i hear that gob****e

hes ****ing horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Really, really enjoyed the Player's Chair with Matt Doherty. Very easy to listen to him talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭CiaranW

Yeah, the players chair was brilliant.
    Matt Doherty speaks well and doesn't shy over any information.
    Richie's 'personal injury' story was also quite amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Nokotan wrote: »
    Really, really enjoyed the Player's Chair with Matt Doherty. Very easy to listen to him talk.

Best one yet imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah one of the few I've listened to all the way through. Interesting story re the nasty phone call from MO'N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was enjoying the post-Japan match podcast until DO'D came on stage. It was probably funny if you were there... but I'm not a fan of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I think Ken broke his own PB for question length around 3 times in his convo with Wilson today. Comical

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

yermandan wrote: »
    I think Ken broke his own PB for question length around 3 times in his convo with Wilson today. Comical

Actually ended up skipping most of this interview after listening to the first 4 or 5 minutes. Ken was very disjointed, focusing on stuff like the Red Bull project etc with long rambling questions, tripping over himself and generally making no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The Doherty interview was great but I don't think richie added anything to it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was at Volbeat last night, they came on stage to Red Right Hand, so when they were coming on all I could think was 'What you've said isn't really true' and 'Fuuh f*cksake'

Young Horgan has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was a good interview with Matt Doherty, even if I'm not sure if he's really that likable a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Arghus wrote: »
    It was a good interview with Matt Doherty, even if I'm not sure if he's really that likable a guy.

In what way? I'm not having a go at you at all by the way, just curious as I thought he sounded like a sound lad.

deisedude wrote: »
    Each book is a number 1 bestseller. Some dead horse that is

Eighteen, sorry, nineteen books of a one joke character - he's a South Dublin posh-boy who speaks funny - gets pretty stale. Fair play to him for making an industry out of it.

The new one was out there a fortnight ago - an ideal present for fathers and brothers that you can't think of anything else to get, especially coming up to Christmas.
    deisedude wrote: »
    Each book is a number 1 bestseller. Some dead horse that is

Eighteen, sorry, nineteen books of a one joke character - he's a South Dublin posh-boy who speaks funny - gets pretty stale. Fair play to him for making an industry out of it.

The new one was out there a fortnight ago - an ideal present for fathers and brothers that you can't think of anything else to get, especially coming up to Christmas.

I seem to receive the latest one as a Christmas present every year and I always assume the joke is stale and tired but the books always find a way to give me a chuckle. There's some very fine topical satire in there if you know how to spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Ken is going to be insufferable in the football pod this week after David Luiz scoring for Arsenal in their 1-0 win today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Obrieski wrote: »
    Ken is going to be insufferable in the football pod this week after David Luiz scoring for Arsenal in their 1-0 win today

The Luiz joke is so stale now.

In what way? I'm not having a go at you at all by the way, just curious as I thought he sounded like a sound lad.

Maybe he is a sound lad, this is only my totally subjective gut opinion gleaned from just an hour long interview.

But, to me, he seemed a bit in love with the idea of being a truth teller and seemed a bit shocked when people have a problem with that. There's a fine line between being a straight talker and being tactless as well. I'm not saying M'O N was right to have a go at him, allegedly, over the phone, but I can understand him being pissed off.

This is another really minor trivial detail, but his micro-impression of the bartender coming up to to talk to him - "uggghh, I'm a big Wolves fan" - before the interview was recorded, just made him sound a bit dickish to me. But, I wasn't there, I don't really know. And it probably was nothing of any consequence.

At the end of the day if the lad performs well for Ireland, I don't really care what kind of dude he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I definitely got an aloof/arrogant vibe off what he said. there's a bit of a Cork/Roy Keane superiority complex off him.

Completely disagree with kens critique of Pep' s handling of the Bernard Silva racism non-story.

Ken thought Guardiola should have said something along the lines of "Silva is not a racist but he messed up here". Thus accepting the premise that he was being racist when he clearly was just joking with his friend with no intent to harm or upset him.

I admire pep sticking up for his player. At some point in society we need to start saying No to these fake manufactured Twitter outrages. As I say, I think I disagree with Ken' s appeasement approach on this.

Think Ken is spot on on the issue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ken going to Tbilisi for a few days in advance of the irish match. Hopefully some decent stories to come :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Richie interview was pretty good. Felt a bit short, but I suppose that's the trick to leave you wanting more to actually go out and buy the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Completely disagree with kens critique of Pep' s handling of the Bernard Silva racism non-story.

Ken thought Guardiola should have said something along the lines of "Silva is not a racist but he messed up here". Thus accepting the premise that he was being racist when he clearly was just joking with his friend with no intent to harm or upset him.

I admire pep sticking up for his player. At some point in society we need to start saying No to these fake manufactured Twitter outrages. As I say, I think I disagree with Ken' s appeasement approach on this.

Dunno really, it’s hard to see the wood from the trees on these things. I’m white so I don’t know/can’t say how offensive the average black person finds these things.

I think he should be fined and given sensitivity training. A match ban is too harsh. But Man city is a work place (Not your average one to be fair) But I don’t go around my work place making japes about people’s race, never mind publicizing them on social media. I would regard anyone who did that kind of thing to be a walking liability in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Dunno really, it’s hard to see the wood from the trees on these things. I’m white so I don’t know/can’t say how offensive the average black person finds these things.

I think he should be fined and given sensitivity training. A match ban is too harsh. But Man city is a work place (Not your average one to be fair) But I don’t go around my work place making japes about people’s race, never mind publicizing them on social media. I would regard anyone who did that kind of thing to be a walking liability in the office.

I see your point, but if you made a 'racial' joke on your own personal social media on your own time, would you accept your employer and possibly, the umbrella organisation for your industry punishing you? i.e Man City & FA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I see your point, but if you made a 'racial' joke on your own personal social media on your own time, would you accept your employer and possibly, the umbrella organisation for your industry punishing you? i.e Man City & FA

I'd be checking my contract with my employer (Man City) and possible notice some clauses related to my behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you are in a public-facing, well-known role then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I am looking forward to some Ken Georgia travel japes

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Big things always seem to happen when Ken goes away for a bit. Colleen vs Rebekah can be added to that list now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That "personal social media" has "Manchester City FC football player" as the only entry in the bio and nearly every image is of him in a Man City kit.

https://twitter.com/BernardoCSilva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Sure even a colleague of mine was dismissed for personal tweets deemed to be racist. It is commonplace for organisations to include clauses regarding Social Media usage in employee contracts. I imagine it would be even more important in the contracts of the likes of professional footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sure even a colleague of mine was dismissed for personal tweets deemed to be racist. It is commonplace for organisations to include clauses regarding Social Media usage in employee contracts. I imagine it would be even more important in the contracts of the likes of professional footballers.

+1. I used work in hotels before and everyone who joined the company had to sign a social media policy regardless of what role they were doing. If you did something that reflected the company in a bad way on social media you could be reprimanded

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Big things always seem to happen when Ken goes away for a bit. Colleen vs Rebekah can be added to that list now.

Two talentless leeches arguing about social meeja and leaks to rag like the Sun isn't a big thing. You might want to subscribe to the Heat magazine pod instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Two talentless leeches arguing about social meeja and leaks to rag like the Sun isn't a big thing. You might want to subscribe to the Heat magazine pod instead.

It's not the content of the spat that's important or even interesting, it is Ken's regailing of it and point of view on it that never fails to be amazing content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Or Off The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lighten up mate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The "cuisine of georgia".

Salivating already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement