Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

To be fair, Shane Horgan was fairly downcast about Ireland's chances, that New Zealand fella was most optimistic about our chances, but he was probably just plámásing us.

I know it's a noisy minority but the glee about this is a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    What did you want them to ask him?

If Heaslip had said something along the lines of we need to be vigilant, it’s obviously a concern etc it’s fine to not go down the rabbit hole but when he said he feels he has never played against anybody using PEDs in his career he lost all credibility and should have been challenged.

How about asking what he made of Alan Quinlan’s recent comments, what he thinks of Paul Kimmage’s repeated criticisms or why the hell he sits on the anti doping board of World Rugby if he feels there hasn’t been a professional player who has doped in the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Heaslip is a joke of a pundit full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    What did you want them to ask him?

I personally thought the interview was pretty good in the circumstances, but I'd love to hear the answers Kimmage's questions about the 'false positive' re testosterone in time - https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/paul-kimmage-a-letter-the-churchill-cup-and-jamie-heaslip-the-curious-case-of-the-positive-test-38613291.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

lawred2 wrote: »
    Heaslip is a joke of a pundit full stop.

Paul Kimmage is on his case after the drugs incident from his book, which he mentioned on the pod. Peculiar that he hasn't responded to his questions in order to clarify what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

radharc wrote: »
    I thought the lads were very soft on the doping questions. Though Heaslip’s answers were laughable.

Is it me or is it because Simon is clearly passionate about rugby, those guests get a free pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Is it me or is it because Simon is clearly passionate about rugby, those guests get a free pass?

It can be frustrating, but the reality is that if they do a Paxman on guests, guests will stop turning up. They're not the BBC. Even RTE have been subjected to media bans, official and tacit, by different county GAA setups down the years. The IRFU have become very controlling on messaging and media access in recent years. Irish sports personalities and slebs in general are pretty thin skinned.

The best the lads can do, I expect, is conduct an interview in such away that the interviewee says enough that an attentive listener might prick up their ears off their own bat. It shouldn't be like that, but such is the way of the world.

corwill wrote: »
    It can be frustrating, but the reality is that if they do a Paxman on guests, guests will stop turning up. They're not the BBC. Even RTE have been subjected to media bans, official and tacit, by different county GAA setups down the years. The IRFU have become very controlling on messaging and media access in recent years. Irish sports personalities and slebs in general are pretty thin skinned.

The best the lads can do, I expect, is conduct an interview in such away that the interviewee says enough that an attentive listener might prick up their ears off their own bat. It shouldn't be like that, but such is the way of the world.

Yeah fair enough, Shane Horgan is Marks brother as well isn't he. Hard to bite the hand that feeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

No Eoin McDevitt today. :( Shame, on one of the most newsworthy weekends of sport all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

dulux99 wrote: »
    No Eoin McDevitt today. :( Shame, on one of the most newsworthy weekends of sport all year

He’ll be on the rugby pod

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He’ll be on the rugby pod

Ah. Good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Seriously, I'd love to know in absolute numbers how many people actually listened to all of that GAA chat today.

The conversation was so boring that it nearly became interesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I found it way more interesting than most English journalists going on about Man City/Tottenham or whatever, but then I don't really care about the Premier League.

F*cking Pbeseo

*sigh*

I'll agree with you there, Pbeso absolutely suck.

Murph was very Murphish today while reading it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Isn’t the GAA season over ??? Why are they still talking about it ? Especially during champions league week and a rugby World Cup !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I was delighted to get a GAA slot instead of yet another discussion on the rugby world cup and Ireland's 'one off runners', which feels like it has been going on for months now.

I like rugby, and I'm still completely weary of it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

elefant wrote: »
    I was delighted to get a GAA slot instead of yet another discussion on the rugby world cup and Ireland's 'one off runners', which feels like it has been going on for months now.

I like rugby, and I'm still completely weary of it at this stage.

Is it not One Out runners?
    Either way, I agree. So much nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Has anyone worked out yet what Eoin Reddan was going on about the other day?

I don't think he knows himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's such a drone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

The amount of times he back peddled was remarkable. Had to laugh at his opening statement that the blame shouldn't sit with players or manager (paraphrasing), that it was a wider issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Isn’t the GAA season over ??? Why are they still talking about it ?

If this is a genuine question, they have introduced a tier 2 football championship, along with a number of fairly big rule changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

cmac2009 wrote: »
    The amount of times he back peddled was remarkable. Had to laugh at his opening statement that the blame shouldn't sit with players or manager (paraphrasing), that it was a wider issue.

Hes a pseudo intellectual of the highest order. Got himself in a tangle trying to be clever.

As a casual rugby viewer at best, hilariously the best bit of rugby punditry I've heard all month on Second Captains was Ken yesterday. He wasn't even doing his schtick either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Be interesting what the lads have to say bout England beating NZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I thought it was funny they played the clip of Eddie Jones talking about the Kiwi media being fans with keyboard and then they interviewed a fella who was the biggest All Black cheerleader going!

Just in case ye thought the Irish media was bad

https://twitter.com/tmsproducer/status/1188203275192954880

Just in case ye thought the Irish media was bad

https://twitter.com/tmsproducer/status/1188203275192954880

It's the Herald so has to be taken in that context. Doesn't mean all NZ media/newspapers are reporting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

The interview with the skills lads depressed me immensely anyway. All content this and marketing that, and completely un-self aware cliches like 'stay true to yourself' while shilling adidas and being unable to talk to a player sponsored by another corporation.

Loved Ken's comparison of Fernandinho getting sent off to John Gotti finally being arrested!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

The interview with the skills lads depressed me immensely anyway. All content this and marketing that, and completely un-self aware cliches like 'stay true to yourself' while shilling adidas and being unable to talk to a player sponsored by another corporation.

Loved Ken's comparison of Fernandinho getting sent off to John Gotti finally being arrested!

I gave it five minutes but had to skip it after that. Quite a surprising guest for them to have on, I wonder was it an obligation of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I gave it five minutes but had to skip it after that. Quite a surprising guest for them to have on, I wonder was it an obligation of some sort.

Very odd alright. First time I've turned off the football podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I enjoyed the interview actually. But the succession audio bed was absolutely fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

#content

I can only presume it was a sponsored slot paid by one of the many brands they mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

A very disappointing pod on a hungover bank holiday Monday. Whatever about the 'skillz' interview, they spent the majority of the pod talking about Arsenal and Xhaka. Didn't recall them even talking about Leicester's 9-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sheroman01 wrote: »
    they spent the majority of the pod talking about Arsenal and Xhaka. Didn't recall them even talking about Leicester's 9-0 win.

That was a bit odd now you mention it. I didn't see the Xhaka/crowd incident so maybe it was more dramatic than it sounds but yeah you'd think 9-0 would be at least as worthy of discussion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

By coincidence I just watched one of those Skillz lads videos for the first time yesterday because someone linked it on reddit. 2 lads taking shots on goal and Gareth Bale was there telling them how to put top spin on the ball. Very annoying, 2 lads taking shots and Bale does nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That was a bit odd now you mention it. I didn't see the Xhaka/crowd incident so maybe it was more dramatic than it sounds but yeah you'd think 9-0 would be at least as worthy of discussion...

Where was the Norwich vs Man Utd discussion ??? Big result !!! Many incidents !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It was very very weird they did that interview. Bit of chat about xhaka, bit of chat about Liverpool...and now some young fellas from YouTube you’ve never heard of!! Did they even mention Leicester’s 9-0 win??

sheroman01 wrote: »
    A very disappointing pod on a hungover bank holiday Monday. Whatever about the 'skillz' interview, they spent the majority of the pod talking about Arsenal and Xhaka. Didn't recall them even talking about Leicester's 9-0 win.

Jaysus. I should read these before I post!

I actually enjoyed the interview but they left the soccer show short to talk to them. Wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Not necessarily a bad interview, but puzzling. The lads they interviewed are a step below e-sportsmen. I'd imagine it's like the New Balance/Nike discussion, they probably have a massive intragram/twitter reach and are considered influencers, if they're tweeting out links to a free Monday pod to get people to listen it's a mutually beneficial cross-promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Considering the pod was 80 minutes long you'd think they would cover most of the football news, even most of the liverpool spurs talk was about Kane and whether they should sell him

Yup, weirdly dissapointing football show. No mention at all for Southampton v Leicester or the mad goings on at Norwich v Man United and most of the Liverpool-Spurs talk was fixated on Harry Kane.

The Arsenal talk was interesting enough but I thought it curious that after Ken has talked at such length about VAR over the months that he barely mentioned the Chambers disallowed goal in that game that was - IMO - the craziest VAR decision yet.

The conversation with the two lads was grand I suppose, but it felt a bit out of place in the show. I highly doubt the vast majority of the audience could care less about freestyle footballers on YouTube. Eoghan's "yeahs" sprinkled through the first few minutes of that interview sounded like a man who barely cared about it himself either.

I skipped the interview. The only other time I do that on the football shows is when Miguel is on.

I think the lads don’t give a shïte what they put on the Monday soccer pod as it’s the free one.

They are awful for the corporate speak, but I did actually enjoy the Heaslip interview. The lads asked some interesting questions of him, rather than just blowing smoke up posterior. I've taken some good learnings from the interview.

What were the "good learnings" you took from the interview?

Sorry for the inverted commas, it's just that I can't accept the word "learnings".

I first saw it as a joke in the Borat film title, but somewhere in the last 10 years people starting using it un-ironically and it really grates with me.

As for Heaslip, I think the guy is just so bland but that he thinks he is incredibly smart/charismatic.

I am on Team Eddie!

What were the "good learnings" you took from the interview?

Sorry for the inverted commas, it's just that I can't accept the word "learnings".

I first saw it as a joke in the Borat film title, but somewhere in the last 10 years people starting using it un-ironically and it really grates with me.

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think the lads don’t give a shïte what they put on the Monday soccer pod as it’s the free one.

That makes no sense. The free one is the one that tempts people to subscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That makes no sense. The free one is the one that tempts people to subscribe.

Its probably because it was a Bank holiday Monday. Just cobble on a pre-recorded interview witha shorter football piece so they can take a half day!

Maybe the Monday one is the easiest to put together. It's typically 50% of just winding Ken up and letting him go and 50% a chat with some journo mates about the weekend, but I wouldn't say usually the quality is below standard compared to the rest of the week.

If anything I think the Friday pods have that one foot already in the weekend feel about them a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    thatsthejoke.jpg

Now I am even more confused. What's the joke? I really don't think there is any joke in there, although I do appreciate a bit of Rainier Wolfcastle nonetheless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement