Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Friday podcast = Fake podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Do people here ever email them about this or put it up on twitter?

Raoul wrote: »
    Do people here ever email them about this or put it up on twitter?

I have emailed them a few times about the Gaa podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I wouldn't email them about it but it is their downfall quite regularly - they (mainly Ken) get too enamoured with the coronation street stuff, ie Xhaka. Thankfully it's not as prevalent anymore, last year it seemed to be non stop, alternating between Jose's latest comments to Neymar, rinse and repeat.

Sound quality is shocking also !!! That might be worth an email or two.... maybe a phone call... I assume they have landline ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

yeah I find the sound quality all over the place the last while. The intro starts off blaring and then drops down several levels when the lads come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

dulux99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't email them about it but it is their downfall quite regularly - they (mainly Ken) get too enamoured with the coronation street stuff, ie Xhaka. Thankfully it's not as prevalent anymore, last year it seemed to be non stop, alternating between Jose's latest comments to Neymar, rinse and repeat.

Yeah, Ken sometimes gets fixated on certain topics like Xhaka on the bank holiday pod where he spent 30 minutes rambling on about it when 10 would have been enough. Probably where Eoin needs to move things on sometimes.

It left them with 5 minutes on the Pool v Spurs game followed by 15 minutes on Harry Kane and nothing else got a mention until the rather odd freestylers interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone know the music in the new audiobed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the succession bed? if so, it's just the succession theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77PsqaWzwG0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sound quality is shocking also !!! That might be worth an email or two.... maybe a phone call... I assume they have landline ?

They do indeed have a landline! (I'm surprised they do)

https://www.secondcaptains.com/about/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't say I've ever been bothered by their audio levels.

I agree that if Ken has one clear flaw it is his tendency to focus on one issue to the point of fixation.

Neymar, Jose, Sergio Ramos are examples we all know, but there are other examples too. The entirety of the Arsenal chat the last day, entertaining as it was, was still all about Xhaka and all Liverpool - Spurs was used for was as a springboard to an endless and fairly boring conversation about Harry Kane, everything else to do with the match wasn't mentioned, except fleetingly. That Harry Kane topic will be flogged to death now, unless of course he starts banging in goals again - in which case it will never be mentioned again.

I love Ken and all and think he's the MVP of the show, but sometimes I wish one of the lads was able to put a hand on his shoulder every now and again and say maybe we don't need a twenty five minute dissection of Neymar's latest quote to the media.

But sure why not email them? It's member led journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Ken’s “coronation street” stuff in the personalities in football is IMO the best thing about the show. There are a million podcasts, radio shows and TV shows that analyse the games themselves. But there’s only one Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Raoul wrote: »
    But sure why not email them? It's member led journalism.

I'm sure they cast an eye or two in here from time to time, there aren't too many corners of the Internet filled with the petty squabbles of World Service members. In which case - howye lads.

Interesting chat today with David Goldblatt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Ken’s “coronation street” stuff in the personalities in football is IMO the best thing about the show. There are a million podcasts, radio shows and TV shows that analyse the games themselves. But there’s only one Ken

I'm listening specifically for the coronation street stuff. It's good entertainment. Most actual football stuff is pretty boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

elefant wrote: »
    I'm listening specifically for the coronation street stuff. It's good entertainment. Most actual football stuff is pretty boring.

Well the great thing is they can make a pod as long as they want and as many as they want. It is possible to do both. I understand if people are a little annoyed that they don't even mention significant results like Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Arghus wrote: »

I agree that if Ken has one clear flaw it is his tendency to focus on one issue to the point of fixation.

Neymar, Jose, Sergio Ramos are examples we all know, but there are other examples too. The entirety of the Arsenal chat the last day, entertaining as it was, was still all about Xhaka and all Liverpool - Spurs was used for was as a springboard to an endless and fairly boring conversation about Harry Kane, everything else to do with the match wasn't mentioned, except fleetingly. That Harry Kane topic will be flogged to death now, unless of course he starts banging in goals again - in which case it will never be mentioned again.

I love Ken and all and think he's the MVP of the show, but sometimes I wish one of the lads was able to put a hand on his shoulder every now and again and say maybe we don't need a twenty five minute dissection of Neymar's latest quote to the media.

Yeah the audio levels have been fine my end too. Off topic but did anyone notice the audio from the Totally Football Show nosedive when the new season started?

Hate to say it but it feels like they're phoning it in this week. The freestyler content garbage Monday, another football show on Wednesday, despite nothing interesting happening since the last football show, and four of the top six playing each other in very entertaining games Wednesday night. The political pods really do nothing for me anymore either to be honest.

Ha, yeah it does feel like they are having a week off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hate to say it but it feels like they're phoning it in this week. The freestyler content garbage Monday, another football show on Wednesday, despite nothing interesting happening since the last football show, and four of the top six playing each other in very entertaining games Wednesday night. The political pods really do nothing for me anymore either to be honest.

Never thought it would happen but I've found myself listening less and less of late.. not through any deliberate choice but more and more I find myself archiving episodes that are a week or so old gone unlistened..

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

lawred2 wrote: »
    Never thought it would happen but I've found myself listening less and less of late.. not through any deliberate choice but more and more I find myself archiving episodes that are a week or so old gone unlistened..

dare I say it, are the lads getting a little complacent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

This week has been very poor

F2 - pure sponsor filler
    David Goldblatt promoting a book - boring
    Politics pod - some of these are intersting but its a vanity project for Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In the last year I've found myself listening elsewhere for both rugby and GAA analysis

My interest in football has waned over the years

So there isn't a whole lot keeping me in these days..

I think I've held on as long as I have because of the relationship between the lads. And Ken's travel stories.

Yeah, Ken sometimes gets fixated on certain topics like Xhaka on the bank holiday pod where he spent 30 minutes rambling on about it when 10 would have been enough. Probably where Eoin needs to move things on sometimes.

It left them with 5 minutes on the Pool v Spurs game followed by 15 minutes on Harry Kane and nothing else got a mention until the rather odd freestylers interview.

I love when Ken goes off on tangents even if i don't agree with him. One of the things I really miss about them being on the radio is when I would be in the car, say driving home from football, between 9pm and 10pm on a quiet Tuesday night, while Ken would drift into a 30 minute monologue comparing Norse mythology to a tony pulis press conference for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I hope this week is just a one off where they dont continiously have people on plugging something or promoting something. 2 this week is too much. Instead they should try and branch out and look at other sports to talk about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

kilns wrote: »
    I hope this week is just a one off where they dont continiously have people on plugging something or promoting something. 2 this week is too much. Instead they should try and branch out and look at other sports to talk about

Ya, like some coverage of the Dublin marathon this week for example

they really need to do just a weekly podcast dedicated to Man Utd..... give the people what they want !

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Eoghan said on Wednesday’s podcast that there was Carabao cup on last night but the big games are tonight ie ManU v Chelsea, Arsenal v Liverpool so will talk about them tomorrow. Then they put out a politics podcast!

This has been a particularly poor week to be fair and I love the show. I skipped the freestyle part and listened to about 5 minutes of the other guy on his book. Not sure I can stomach the politics podcast either but will give it a try later. It’s not like there’s a shortage of sport going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

There must be technical or operational issues this week that we are not aware of. Maybe personal issues with one of the team, a bereavement or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

That's mad speculation to make, just because the podcast isn't up to its usual standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    That's mad speculation to make, just because the podcast isn't up to its usual standard.

Exactly, the fact that it's mid-term break time and they're a small operation, was my feeling about this week. Cut them some slack.

The constant complaining here is amazing. They've been going how many years now and haven't changed that much. You know what you're getting with them.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Exactly, the fact that it's mid-term break time and they're a small operation, was my feeling about this week. Cut them some slack.

The constant complaining here is amazing. They've been going how many years now and haven't changed that much. You know what you're getting with them.

Don't think that's really accurate to be honest, they're an entertainment product and like any entertainment product, when it falters a bit people notice. Nobody's threatening to cut off their subscription (I think that one guy who constantly threatened is gone now, thank god)

Mostly this thread is full of praise for them

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Don't think that's really accurate to be honest, they're an entertainment product and like any entertainment product, when it falters a bit people notice. Nobody's threatening to cut off their subscription (I think that one guy who constantly threatened is gone now, thank god)

Mostly this thread is full of praise for them

I also like that they don't have a presence on this thread so people can be honest. I imagine they read it (Miguel Delaney definitely does, hi Miguel!) but we can still all chat about the podcast as a whole.

A lot of us are massively invested in the podcast, more so time than money so it's only natural that we'd want to discuss it.

Sometimes people just want a little moan and that's fine.

Panic over lads, Eoin mentions on today's pod that Ken and Murphy were away this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It wasn't a vintage week by any means, but I didn't notice a big drop off in quality, I was drifting off at times during the Goldblatt and religious chat, I still found them interesting enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Am I the only one who winced at Eoin's attempt at pronouncing Derrygonnelly :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The Players Chair with Hoolihan was really good. Interesting guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭CiaranW

Eire-Dearg wrote:

Yeah I also enjoyed it. The way he was able to describe his feelings and emotions going into the cell was brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"...if you must". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

My producer is telling me not to talk to you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Haha.. That was hilarious with Ken and Sonny Bill Williams :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Still Ill wrote: »
    Haha.. That was hilarious with Ken and Sonny Bill Williams :pac:

I missed that, what part was that discussed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

After the guy talking about Katie Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

aloooof wrote: »
    "...if you must". ;)

Drove me insane

Thought it was great. MMA is my favourite sport and is mainly sneered at by the SC lads so I had a bit of trepidation before it started, but he's a much better representative for the sport in Ireland than 'yer man (we all know who)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Thought it was great. MMA is my favourite sport and is mainly sneered at by the SC lads so I had a bit of trepidation before it started, but he's a much better representative for the sport in Ireland than 'yer man (we all know who)

Knacker Mc Fistycuffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm behind schedule and only listening to Wednesdays podcast now. And all 4 live shows are sold out. Anyone get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

aloooof wrote: »
    "...if you must". ;)

Read these comments before listening to the podcast, and couldn't not hear this! :pac:

However, thought it was really interesting and in my opinion came across as a likeable kinda guy!

Any guess as to what the top secret second captains project Mark Horgan is working on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement