Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I really enjoyed Frances Murphy's piece on Gaybo. Just when I had begun to tire of the whole 'Guide to the Weekend' slot, they produce something wonderful like that. She was a real breath of fresh air, she didn't over due the fêtting of Gaybo, she said what she admired but noted his imperfections too. Id love to hear from her more, maybe even once a month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Colm Toibin on Eamon Dunphy's The Stand was very good for the same reasons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Colm Toibin on Eamon Dunphy's The Stand was very good for the same reasons.

Yeah i thought that was very good too.

Oddly enough i was coming out of St. Anne's Park listening to it as the cortege drove by. Kinda spooky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm behind schedule and only listening to Wednesdays podcast now. And all 4 live shows are sold out. Anyone get tickets?

Got 2 for the Friday night. Should be a good start to the festive madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Any guess as to what the top secret second captains project Mark Horgan is working on?

Possibly a new tv show or a book? Interested to see what they come out with

I really enjoyed the Christmas annual they used do. It was a good bit of craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Didn't someone ask about the lads going back to do the tv show and Eoin said something is in the works?

This was before the whole Mark Horgan bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Pep has given Ken a lot of material for today. Should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Mark Horgan bit

What Mark Horgan bit?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    What Mark Horgan bit?

Someone wrote in asking why he hasn't presented a show this year basically, Eoin said he's working on something special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Just a warning that Miguel Delaney is on today's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wontickets

I have won tickets (through work) to an event called called Second Captains Live.

I assume it is something to do with a podcast of the same name but I can't find any episodes online unless I pay a subscription.

Could anyone explain what it is about or what I could expect at the event?

Thanks you in advance.

wontickets wrote: »
    I have won tickets (through work) to an event called called Second Captains Live.

I assume it is something to do with a podcast of the same name but I can't find any episodes online unless I pay a subscription.

Thanks you in advance.

On their website the monday podcasts are free, it's a general sports podcast so they will have guests on and talk about whatever sport, try not to be too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

'it's a response not to Christmas, but to the crispness in the air'

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Thanks you in advance.

Hi Won Tickets,

Its a hoax. They are a bunch a guys who got fired back by Newstalk back in the day for being too independently minded. If you go they will get the diabetic with the long hair to ramble on about Man City's latest wobble mirroring the fall of the Roman Empire. Then they will try and sell you shares in their Pyramid scheme.

Please send on tickets to seamythelawyer@gmail.com and I will pursue your case in the small claims court. I only take a small commission if we are successful.

Remember to SEND ME YOUR TICKETS as I will need them as evidence in our case against these degenerates.

Caveat Emptor,

Seamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This political party piece has been brought to you by kens personal opinions. God I really really hate that, a 10 minute rant at the end of the football pod. Not everyone agrees with you Ken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

This political party piece has been brought to you by kens personal opinions. God I really really hate that, a 10 minute rant at the end of the football pod. Not everyone agrees with you Ken.

So what do you want him to do? - Not to express his opinions on the off chance that you might not agree. For me, Ken's take on things have always been the most interesting part of Second Captain's output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Someone wrote in asking why he hasn't presented a show this year basically, Eoin said he's working on something special

So he’s working on something special for a year with no plans to return.

I hope he gets through it well and is back on the show soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"A loose thread in the jumper of his confidence":D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Was it just me who found the rugby discussion really jarring? They seemed to cut the English guy short every time he was speaking. Like they had edited what he was actually saying because it was too controversial, or he's gone off on a word rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Was it just me who found the rugby discussion really jarring? They seemed to cut the English guy short every time he was speaking. Like they had edited what he was actually saying because it was too controversial, or he's gone off on a word rant.

I noticed that too. Sounded like it was edited. If it wasn’t then they got a guy on who’s written a book on the subject and hardly let him speak. That wouldn’t be their form.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Thought the same myself as I listened.
    He hardly spoke at all...or should I say, whatever he spoke of was hugely edited out so it felt as if he was a pointless contributor with not much to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Arghus wrote: »
    I agree with him.

100%. He was quite reserved about it in my mind. I'd have even choicer words for that poppy propoganda group think bull$hit.

Ahwell wrote: »
    So what do you want him to do? - Not to express his opinions on the off chance that you might not agree. For me, Ken's take on things have always been the most interesting part of Second Captain's output.

I think it's fine for him to express his opinions but it would be nice to have some of his assumptions challenged at least.

He has this way of creating straw man arguments that can be easily responded but aren't (usually Murph just giggles along, Eoin occasionally plays devil's advocate, just wish he would do it more often).

The guest journos will never challenge it because they have too much to lose to be controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think it's fine for him to express his opinions but it would be nice to have some of his assumptions challenged at least.

He has this way of creating straw man arguments that can be easily responded but aren't (usually Murph just giggles along, Eoin occasionally plays devil's advocate, just wish he would do it more often).

The guest journos will never challenge it because they have too much to lose to be controversial.

Send him a strongly worded letter

On their website the monday podcasts are free, it's a general sports podcast so they will have guests on and talk about whatever sport, try not to be too serious

Ok thanks found it.

Would yesterdays podcast be typical of their output?

That’s my main gripe with him. He can be let off on a ten minute rant and at the end of it you get a “grand, and on tomorrows second captains...”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lawred2 wrote: »
    Send him a strongly worded letter

making sure to include the phrase "I wouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early has to say about politics."

making sure to include the phrase "I wouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early has to say about politics."

They won’t read it out unless you’re living in Australia or Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Their tag line seems to be member led journalism but it just seems like member funded journalism. I did think over the last few years that world service members would have more of a say over what should be covered.

Delaney out (Miguel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The bit on the poppy? I thought that was a good piece by Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Beersmith wrote: »
    Their tag line seems to be member led journalism but it just seems like member funded journalism. I did think over the last few years that world service members would have more of a say over what should be covered.

Delaney out (Miguel)

Not trying to be smart (no idea if you have tried or not), but if there's something you'd really like them to cover you could shoot them an email. I'm sure they'd be open to covering different things if they thought there was a demand.

I gave the first few political pods a listen, but didn't find them hugely interesting. I just skip them generally these days unless it's something I'm really interested in. I tend to have a backlog in pods to listen to, so no big deal to me to skip one or two if it's a political/GAA one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Delaney out (Miguel)

Subs have been increasing since the start but starting to level off a bit. That's member led journalism, no?

bren2001 wrote: »
    Subs have been increasing since the start but starting to level off a bit. That's member led journalism, no?

I don't know how subscription based equals member led no

Still Ill wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart (no idea if you have tried or not), but if there's something you'd really like them to cover you could shoot them an email. I'm sure they'd be open to covering different things if they thought there was a demand.

I gave the first few political pods a listen, but didn't find them hugely interesting. I just skip them generally these days unless it's something I'm really interested in. I tend to have a backlog in pods to listen to, so no big deal to me to skip one or two if it's a political/GAA one.

Fair point. I have indeed emailed them several times about trying to get them to cover the LOI and tweeted them about a ken travel pod. No replies to any of them.

I love the pod but I don't have any say except in the vaguest way of vote with your feet and UnSubscribe!

Cause the members are the ones funding the whole thing, it's not owned by the Irish Times or Newstalk etc, there's no advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

If subs are going up, they are giving members what they want and nothing needs to change.
    If subs are going down, they are not giving members what they want and must change.

Hence, member-led journalism. They have access to downloads, number of listens etc. and can judge from there what is/is not working. On Newstalk or the Irish Times they did not or may not have had as much access to this information or complete creative control. It's just not as direct as members emailing in suggestions but still is member-led journalism.

Fair point. I have indeed emailed them several times about trying to get them to cover the LOI and tweeted them about a ken travel pod. No replies to any of them.

I love the pod but I don't have any say except in the vaguest way of vote with your feet and UnSubscribe!
    Member led means they aren't owned by someone like Denis O'Brien. They have no agenda to follow. They cover what the members want. That doesn't mean each and every member gets what they like covered. They get a lot of emails and response on social media and have a good idea what the majority of their listeners want.
    They do a small bit on the league of Ireland, like the cup final bit last week, they probably feel that covers the smaller demand for LOI.

Just the nature of sports and the huge variety out there, not 1 person is going to get exactly what they like covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

There is your problem. There is no point trying to get them to do something they don't want to do :D:D. I was really hopeful at the start of last season with Murph going to a Pat's game. It was being vaunted as if it was going to be a regular thing but then I think Eoin and Ken went to one match and that was it?

They should have David Sneyd on to talk LOI or Dan McDonnell or Richie. Even just for ten minutes every week or something but I gave up trying to get them to cover it. I have sent emails before too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Raoul wrote: »
    There is your problem. There is not point trying to get them to do something they don't want to do :D:D. I was really hopeful at the start of last season with Murph going to a Pat's game. It was being vaunted as if it was going to be a regular thing but then I think Eoin and Ken went to one match and that was it?

They should have David Sneyd on to talk LOI or Dan McDonnell or Richie. Even just for ten minutes every week or something but I gave up trying to get them to cover it. I have sent emails before too.

Have little interest in LOI myself, but would certainly listen to any of those three speaking about it. Enjoy all their contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Still Ill wrote: »
    Have little interest in LOI myself, but would certainly listen to any of those three speaking about it. Enjoy all their contributions.

I'd rather more LOI than women's football coverage in any case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Their GAA stuff can be pitiful at times, I wouldn't expect much better with the League of Ireland.

It is basically a soccer and rugby podcast, with other bits sprinkled in when it suits them. I'm a huge fan, but mostly because their soccer stuff can be better then most other offerings in the UK. If there was no Ken and the soccer content went backwards I wouldn't be a Patron.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Their GAA stuff can be pitiful at times, I wouldn't expect much better with the League of Ireland.

It is basically a soccer and rugby podcast, with other bits sprinkled in when it suits them. I'm a huge fan, but mostly because their soccer stuff can be better then most other offerings in the UK. If there was no Ken and the soccer content went backwards I wouldn't be a Patron.
    Second Captains losing Ken would be like Blondie losing Debbie Harry.

I have 2 spare tickets for the live show on Friday 6th. Balcony seating, non reserved, €25 each if anyone wants them. PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Cienciano wrote: »
    Second Captains losing Ken would be like Blondie losing Debbie Harry.

:D nail on the head. If Ken left, I would be gone the same day.

• Advertisement

I think I'm a little bit long in the tooth for this and am finding difficulty persuading anyone to come along.

4 tickets for the Friday for whoever wants them.

I got them for free so don't want anything in return.

I think I'm a little bit long in the tooth for this.

Christ, making my offer look bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I think I'm a little bit long in the tooth for this and am finding difficulty persuading anyone to come along.

I'll take 2 if they're going please

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

I'll take two if they are going thanks

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I'd rather more LOI than women's football coverage in any case!

I can’t be the only one who instantly tunes out women’s football. I feel like it’s crammed into podcasts just to say they cover it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement