Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I don't get the Delaney hate. He wouldn't be my favourite contributer, but complaints about him are OTT. The Delaney hate seems quite trendy in this thread. It all seems to be aimed towards his personality, rather than his content.

This thread is Johnny Giles and Miguel Delaney is Ken.

Hes an arsehole, his twitter feed is all the evidence you need of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Arghus wrote: »
    I get that.

I'm not on Twitter, I understand about his reputation on Twitter, but I'm not too concerned about that personally. I only go by his contributions on SC and, to my ears, his contributions on SC while, admittedly, being slightly forgettable are also generally innocous.

It all comes back to Ken's "90 of the time it's the person who is saying it..."

Hmm, not sure that quote rings true in this instance.

He's an annoying know it all, people on twitter know him as this, so when he comes on the podcast and starts showing those colours then it's easy to link the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mounting questions :/

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

The Miguel Delaney hate isn't that logical IMO. Sure, he's not an unmissable contributor and he has annoying verbal tics, but he's not - to my ears anyway - noticeably worse than the other numerous bog standard football journos they regularly have on - but reading this thread you'd think it's absolute aural torture to listen to him. I don't get it.
    I'm also in this camp. I don't remember him ever being particularly controversial in any of his contributions on the pod, always pretty standard stuff. I couldn't really give two shíts what he writes on Twitter tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Raoul wrote: »
    It's not necessarily that I would like to see them cover soccer only. It is more about the actual quality of the interviews. I feel like sometimes they are just going through the motions.

One thing I would never accuse them of is that they are going through the motions. The fact that they aren't is the main reason I'm a subscriber. Many guests have alluded to such.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I can only imagine the fun they'd knock out of this conspiracy stuff, isn't Mark generally behind the scenes, haven't even noticed he was missing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I think some people on this forum are much too overly sensitive to constructive criticism of the show. I want the show to be better. I think there’s great potential in it if they really threw themselves into its production and not just coast it. I’d like this forum to be more open to ideas about the show. When someone has ideas they are told at best to email the show .... I.e. bog off and don’t be bringing it up here .... on an internet discussion forum. It sometimes feels that there needs to be a split forum here because there’s so much biting from posters who just want to just discuss the show day to day at others who want to discuss the general health and appeal of it and how it could be improved.

As for the Mark Horgan absence, when people take extended leave from work there’s normally a fairly clear pattern of the reason for this absence if it’s not a career break. That’s all I’m saying. Maybe he’s working so tirelessly on a second captains project that he couldn’t spare any time to join the lads on a pod for the rugby World Cup. I’d be surprised if that were true, that’s just my view. Another poster got similarly ganged up on when he wondered if the reduced quality of the show was down to the bereavement.

I hope this post gets ignored by those who are immediately triggered by it and generates healthy debate among those who want to debate the show from all sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I think some people on this forum are much too overly sensitive to constructive criticism of the show.

Or maybe some posters are just too overly sensitive to others not agreeing with their posts on here? Just a thought.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Or maybe some posters are just too overly sensitive to others not agreeing with their posts on here? Just a thought.

Perhaps.. or being overly sensitive to being called an “absolute Weirdo” a “stalker Ex”, “bizarre” or being compared to David Brent

What do you think?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

When someone has ideas they are told at best to email the show .... I.e. bog off and don’t be bringing it up here .... on an internet discussion forum.

No it's more a case of you have a direct line to them, why not do something constructive and contact them if it bothers you so much, they may not read it out but if it holds water they might resolve whatever issue you have, complaining on an anonymous forum is the easy way out.

You were 'jumped on' because instead of taking them at their word that Mark is working on a secret project, you invented some personal issue for him!

• Advertisement

No it's more a case of you have a direct line to them, why not do something constructive and contact them if it bothers you so much, they may not read it out but if it holds water they might resolve whatever issue you have, complaining on an anonymous forum is the easy way out.

You were 'jumped on' because instead of taking them at their word that Mark is working on a secret project, you invented some personal issue for him!

I think you’re right that I should consider discussing it directly with them but there needs to be a realization that is a discussion forum, things get discussed. Disagreeing is fine but calling people names and ganging up on one poster is kiddies in the playground stuff.

I think you’re right that I should consider discussing it directly with them but there needs to be a realization that is a discussion forum, things get discussed. Disagreeing is fine but calling people names and ganging up on one poster is kiddies in the playground stuff.

Where is all this Mark Horgan stuff coming from? Maybe I've missed something. He is the producer who has hardly ever been an on-air presence. How do you know he has been missing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Where is all this Mark Horgan stuff coming from? Maybe I've missed something. He is the producer who has hardly ever been an on-air presence. How do you know he has been missing?

They read out a 'scumbag' letter from a subscriber who asked where Mark Horgan had gone, and Eoin told us he's working on a special project which we'll hear more of in future.

Dots is claiming they only said that to throw us off the scent of some personal issues he's having. Which is.... quite the leap.

Where is all this Mark Horgan stuff coming from? Maybe I've missed something. He is the producer who has hardly ever been an on-air presence. How do you now he has been missing?

He’s the producer of SC and is away from the show to work on a second captains project according to the lads. His only input recently has been to produce a soundbed. He’s not on-air a lot but you’d expect to hear from him a few times especially during a rugby World Cup. I think he’s not in studio anymore, he’s totally on a project.

Correct me if I’ve got that wrong.

As for the Mark Horgan absence, when people take extended leave from work there’s normally a fairly clear pattern of the reason for this absence if it’s not a career break. That’s all I’m saying. Maybe he’s working so tirelessly on a second captains project that he couldn’t spare any time to join the lads on a pod for the rugby World Cup. I’d be surprised if that were true, that’s just my view.

You're saying this as if he was a regular presenter on the rugby slots when, in reality, he's only been on a handful of shows since they started up the pod in 2013.
    Another poster got similarly ganged up on when he wondered if the reduced quality of the show was down to the bereavement.

Because that, just like claiming the lads are lying, is a massive (and slightly bewildering) leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

aloooof wrote: »
    You're saying this as if he was a regular presenter on the rugby slots when, in reality, he's only been on a handful of shows since they started up the pod in 2013.

I think he's confusing him with Simon Hick...

I think he's confusing him with Simon Hick...

Or Shane Horgan maybe? But he's been on loads. As has Simon actually, so I dunno.

He’s the producer of SC and is away from the show to work on a second captains project according to the lads. His only input recently has been to produce a soundbed. He’s not on-air a lot but you’d expect to hear from him a few times especially during a rugby World Cup. I think he’s not in studio anymore, he’s totally on a project.

No, I wouldn't have expected him to be on the podcasts during the world cup. He's never been part of their rugby output. That's Simon Hick role. Simon also does the studio producing. Mark is the "producer" in a broader sense then just been in the studio.

Maybe there's another Second Captains annual coming out, if there is another project I suspect it would be that.

Because that, just like claiming the lads are lying, is a massive (and slightly bewildering) leap.

But it’s not really because of him not being on mic, it’s because he’s not there at all. That’s unusual to me. He’s on prolonged leave to research or work on a project. I don’t personally believe that. I don’t have a problem if they are lying but I wouldn’t be anticipating a project. Personally that would be my view. I and maybe one other are of that view. That’s all that is happening and what both sides are ending up being defensive about.

But it’s not really because of him not being on mic, it’s because he’s not there at all. That’s unusual to me. He’s on prolonged leave to research or work on a project. I don’t personally believe that. I don’t have a problem if they are lying but I wouldn’t be anticipating a project. Personally that would be my view. I and maybe one other are of that view. That’s all that is happening and what both sides are ending up being defensive about.

:confused:

Which you only know of because of the letter they read out, before announcing the new project.

If they wanted to deflect attention from his absence, specifically mentioning it and announcing a project he's working on would be a really weird way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I only remember hearing Mark Horgan a handful of times over the years. Honestly the last time I can remember him spending an extended period on the mic was back when they were still working with the Irish Times and as far as I know that was about the time Eoin got married and was away for a bit. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong, but he was basically always behind the scenes.

Over the last couple of weeks the thread has at times resembled something from a parallel universe, one where Mark Horgan was one of the main men presenting the show and has now unaccountably vanished - eh, what? He's always been the quiet one!

I don't think most around here have a problem with people criticising the show - it's only a show and it isn't perfect - and if you read through the thread there's plenty of people querying all sorts about it over the years - why didn't they cover x and y, that guest was crap, why is Ken always banging on about this or that, etc, etc. Second Captains aren't a sacred cow above all criticism. But some people seem to think that others disagreeing with them isn't discussion, when it kind of is really, at the end of the day.

And there's constructive criticism and then there's elaborate speculation about what might be going in people's private life, which is based on absolutely nothing - which does come across as a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I'm not on twitter cos in not a moron. I still dislike Miguel Delaney and his smug, irritatingly annoying voice. The man may be a perfectly decent print journo, but is not suited to a broadcast medium at all, in my opinion. I'd much rather hear from Sneyd, Sadlier or any other contributor, besides Miguel.

Delaney out!

:confused:

If it's not really because of him not being on the mic, then you only know of his absence because of the letter they read out, before announcing the new project.

If they wanted to deflect attention from his absence, specifically mentioning it and announcing a project he's working on would be a really weird way to do it.

I can see your point but I don’t see it that way.

I think saying he’s working on a project with no end date and no idea when he is back is an effective way to address anything else that might be happening. Ignoring the mails while he concurrently never appeared or produced the show would, in my view, lead to more questions where a policy of completely ignoring them wouldn’t work.

As an example and just for the sake of it, not saying it’s a similar issue. I’d say it’s definitely not similar....

Russell brand and Matt Morgan used to co-present a show on BBC. For a period of about 3 months to the show’s culmination Matt was “on holiday”. It turned out that Matt and Russell were no longer on speaking terms. But Russell who was extremely forthright in just about everything else went the diplomatic route.

This is a different issue but there is are times when you get told the truth and times when due to sensitive issues that you don’t. This is what I think is happening but fcuk knows...

I can see your point but I don’t see it that way.

I think saying he’s working on a project with no end date and no idea when he is back is an effective way to address anything else that might be happening. Ignoring the mails while he concurrently never appeared or produced the show would, in my view, lead to more questions where a policy of completely ignoring them wouldn’t work.

As an example and just for the sake of it, not saying it’s a similar issue. I’d say it’s definitely not similar....

Russell brand and Matt Morgan used to co-present a show on BBC. For a period of about 3 months to the show’s culmination Matt was “on holiday”. It turned out that Matt and Russell were no longer on speaking terms. But Russell who was extremely forthright in just about everything else went the diplomatic route.

This is a different issue but there is are times when you get told the truth and times when due to sensitive issues that you don’t. This is what I think is happening but fcuk knows...

But Mark very rarely presented or co-presented so his absence was virtually unnoticeable until they mentioned it. Also, how do you know they were ignoring mails?

Fair enough tho, I don't think I'm going to change your mind. I'll stick with occam's razor tho; the simplest answer is often the most likely.

But Mark very rarely presented or co-presented so his absence was virtually unnoticeable until they mentioned it.

Fair enough tho, I don't think I'm going to change your mind. I'll stick with occam's razor tho; the simplest answer is often the most likely.

I can see your point. If it was gaa or soccer output no one would miss him being involved because he never was. But a rugby World Cup I’d expect to have heard his thoughts and would think others would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I had literally never thought about why why we were never hearing from the guy who we never heard from.

I had literally never thought about why why we were never hearing from the guy who we never heard from.

Well it’s kind of a moot point now. He is away from the show as was confirmed when it was queried by someone who had noticed his absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

corwill wrote: »
    Look, maybe I'm the one who's being unreasonable here, but I find myself constantly bewildered by a lot of the posting on this thread.

Evergreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I can see your point. If it was gaa or soccer output no one would miss him being involved because he never was. But a rugby World Cup I’d expect to have heard his thoughts and would think others would.

He was never on talking about rugby though, think you're mixing him up with Simon. The only time I remember him getting involved is either boxing or stand in presenting years ago.

• Advertisement

JoseJones wrote: »
    He was never on talking about rugby though, think you're mixing him up with Simon. The only time I remember him getting involved is either boxing or stand in presenting years ago.

As I’ve said already is that not irrelevant since Eoin has already confirmed he’s away on a project for an unspecified length of time.

I think some people on this forum are much too overly sensitive to constructive criticism of the show.

Physician, heal thyself. You're posting absolute broken biscuits re Mark Horgan.

corwill wrote: »
    Physician, heal thyself. You're posting absolute broken biscuits re Mark Horgan.

Hopefully.

If you know 100% that the project story is true then the best thing might be to say it.

Hopefully.

If you know 100% that the project story is true then the best thing might be to say it.

You're the one making the extraordinary claim here: to wit, that the lads are telling porkies about Mark's lack of day to day involvement. Either back that up with something other than speculation, or be prepared to have it dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Horgan is a producer. The email asking what he was doing was funny. This online speculation about what he’s actually doing is creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Wow, this has gotten weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

terrydel wrote: »
    Hes an arsehole, his twitter feed is all the evidence you need of that.

I don't think he's too bad on the show overall but yeah on Twitter he comes across terribly. Like someone who feels they are incapable of being wrong about anything.

Can we have an amnesty on the Mark Horgan discussion?

Let the ceasefire being at the end of this sentence. Full stop. Full stop.

Is Mark back yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is Mark back yet?

Not yet. He's either working on a project or has some serious personal problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not yet. He's either working on a project or has some serious personal problems.

No reason for the two to be mutually exclusive. Could be working on a project related to serious personal problems. That'd implode this thread.

• Advertisement

Maybe the project IS his personal problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I can just about make out the SC office from my window, I'll buy a telescope at lunch to peer in and see if I can spot Mark. I'll report back asap.

LOL

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I can just about make out the SC office from my window, I'll buy a telescope at lunch to peer in and see if I can spot Mark. I'll report back asap.

LOL

Be sure to be outraged if the blinds block the view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Whatever is “happening” in the seconds captains office...... they want to keep it a secret, the question is why ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Listened to the look back of the Henry handball on OTB today and they had Ken's full commentary of the moment which was great. Most I've heard him mentioned since he left!

Listened to the look back of the Henry handball on OTB today and they had Ken's full commentary of the moment which was great. Most I've heard him mentioned since he left!

It's pretty hilarious:

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/1196350817953107968?s=12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Is there a link to this audio? I clicked into the link Ken provided but it is behind a paywall

yermandan wrote: »
    Is there a link to this audio? I clicked into the link Ken provided but it is behind a paywall

The link Ken provided is an article on it, but the audio is in the tweet he has quoted from Ronan Mullen.

Literally burst out laughing in the office hearing his voice go up 3 octives as he realises Henry's sourcery.

Remember listening to that live, I almost laughed when Ken said 'BASKETBALL STYLE!' almost.

I'd love if there was more of their reaction available, from what I remember they were taken aback by the hysteria, and they had Xaiver Rivoire ripping into the French team, haven't heard him in a long time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement