Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Looks like Ken has got wrong it again about Jose..... hopefully he will be man enough to admit it on today’s podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Looks like Ken has got wrong it again about Jose..... hopefully he will be man enough to admit it on today’s podcast

2 games into his tenure. You're right, he's been a complete success at Spurs. No need to let the rest of the season play out, lets draw our conclusions now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He loved Brendan Rogers Jose Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Nokotan wrote: »
    As another poster said, they are mostly club specific so should be fine.

Chapman and Ornstein Show and Zonal Marking are the only non-club specific but they are weekly.

I've listened to the two above and a few of the club specific pods and they are excellent, really high quality discussion. I hope they can keep the quality up week on week. Even if I don't support the club I really enjoy in depth discussions about a club, this delivers 100%

Given its The Athletic I'm guessing these ain't free?

bren2001 wrote: »
    2 games into his tenure. You're right, he's been a complete success at Spurs. No need to let the rest of the season play out, lets draw our conclusions now.

First away win in almost a year, through to the last 16 in the champions league and deli Ali back to his best......huge achievements so far.... even Aurier looks like a real player now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

First away win in almost a year, through to the last 16 in the champions league and deli Ali back to his best......huge achievements so far.... even Aurier looks like a real player now !

Or perhaps a dead cat bounce? Less prominent gaffers than Jose have achieved short term upticks in form. Remember all the Ole-at-the-wheel flannel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This is hilarious, two game’s in and you’ve already decided he’s been a success. So what happens if they go out in the next round, finish well outside the top 6 would you still being saying he’s a success?

If mourinho gets them into the top 4 this season I’d call that a decent start but even then would be weary of calling him a success. Knee jerk reactions like this drive me crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

First away win in almost a year, through to the last 16 in the champions league and deli Ali back to his best......huge achievements so far....

Beating West Ham (by a single goal) is a huge achievement for a team that was in the Champions League final a few months ago?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He's a WUM, lads. Don't feed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I was able to get them through Podcast Addict so looks like they are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

They are free but will most likely be used as advertising for people to sign up to the Athletic or they'll add bonus podcast for members eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Nokotan wrote: »
    I was able to get them through Podcast Addict so looks like they are free.

I couldn't find them through Podcast Addict, do you remember what you searched?

Athletic/Athletic football just offered up a load of American Football pods!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

These are the names of the pods so far, not sure if there are more coming.

qCICOLL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Ah great thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

terrydel wrote: »
    I think Early is a very good journalist and a really intelligent guy, but his refusal to accept that Mourinho is one if not the best coach of the last 20 years is baffling. I dont what your opinion of Mourinho as a person is, his record speaks for itself.
    And I'm not a fan of any of the clubs hes ever managed.

The thing about Jose is that he’s almost guaranteed to bring success but at what cost? He leaves each club as scorched earth when he leaves or gets fired. He also needs TONNES AND TONNES of money for success. Gauging a coach purely on trophies isn’t the way to go, plenty of great coaches have never won anything.

Oh, he’s also a terrible human being and everyone knows how this will end up.

The thing about Jose is that he’s almost guaranteed to bring success but at what cost? He leaves each club as scorched earth when he leaves or gets fired. He also needs TONNES AND TONNES of money for success. Gauging a coach purely on trophies isn’t the way to go, plenty of great coaches have never won anything.

Oh, he’s also a terrible human being and everyone knows how this will end up.

Didn’t both Chelsea and Real Madrid go on to win the champions league after Jose left ? That is hardly scorched earth is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Didn’t both Chelsea and Real Madrid go on to win the champions league after Jose left ? That is hardly scorched earth is it ?

Because the players were on such a high after he left anything was possible......
    Like removing a tumour.

What is your obsession with going against everything Ken says?

Read my post again. I actually said Ken was right.

Chelsea won it 5 years after he left, having gone through a shed load of managers. The squad he left didn't win the league for 3 years after he left. I would say scorched earth is Chelsea were after he left.

• Advertisement

Chelsea won it 5 years after he left, having gone through a shed load of managers. The squad he left didn't win the league for 3 years after he left. I would say scorched earth is Chelsea were after he left.

5 years after he left and Jose’s boys were still standing strong, the team that won it were full of his untouchables.... it shows that what he left was beautifully fertile ground ! Primed for European glory !!! And didn’t they get to the champions league final directly after he left ? Definitely created and left a very strong team that still had a lot of love for Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Apologies for going slightly off topic here, asked one of the mods before posting

If anyone has tickets for the saturday or sunday live shows that they would be willing to swap for the Friday show please send me a pm, can't go on the Friday due to a clash

5 years after he left and Jose’s boys were still standing strong, the team that won it were full of his untouchables.... it shows that what he left was beautifully fertile ground ! Primed for European glory !!! And didn’t they get to the champions league final directly after he left ? Definitely created and left a very strong team that still had a lot of love for Jose

I don't think even Mourinho would argue that they were his team that won the CL.

When he left in 07/08 they were struggling badly. Scorched earth. Yes the grass did grow eventually, but it was in spite of, rather than because of, Mourinho.

Carlo Ancelotti arguably had more influence on the CL win. Not to mention how incredibly lucky they were to win that. Great defence in the semis and final but they got very lucky also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What was the background to that old Tiger Woods voicemail? Something about deleting a number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cienciano wrote: »
    What was the background to that old Tiger Woods voicemail? Something about deleting a number?

Yeah I didn't get that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Cienciano wrote: »

Couldn't fully make it out but I thought it was a message he left on one of his girls' voicemail asking them to change their machine message. Maybe his wife was into him or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I can't remember the exact details but it was something like this:
    He rang Jaime Grubbs a mistress.

Tigers wife went through his phone and noticed that he had called this number a few times. He very quickly rang her to warn her but she didn't answer. As a result, he left a voicemail. The voicemail ended up being evidence of his affair.

Jose with another swashbuckling win and a reformed deli Ali playing the best soccer of his career... I assume Monday’s podcast will be Ken: An apology to Jose Muriniho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yawn.

Arghus wrote: »
    Yawn.

Ken got it badly wrong.... I just hope that he is honest enough to admit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It's only been 3 games.

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »
    It's only been 3 games.

It only took 3 games for Jose to give spurs fans their football club back... an achievement in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It only took 3 games for Jose to give spurs fans their football club back... an achievement in itself.

That's a bit hyperbolic now, the underlying problems are still there. Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen are approaching the final six months of their deals. Danny Rose is planning to run down his down too. Other areas need strengthening. How much is Levy going to give him to replace them? And more importantly, how is he going to react if it is not deemed enough or Levy doesn't want to buy the same players that he does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Are you going to come into this thread and post absolute nonsense for the rest of the year or whats the plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057757613&page=529

Away with ya now

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Blindboy on this week's Player Chair? ffs is there no corner of Irish online media that he doesn't infiltrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Blindboy on this week's Player Chair? ffs is there no corner of Irish online media that he doesn't infiltrate.

it's handy that you can just archive it and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Quite enjoyed Murph today continually pressing the 'Disaster for Dublin' button following Gavin's resignation, despite his guests dismissing the notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Did they put out a soccer pod today? I just have the Dublin GAA one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I used to love Blindboy and I defended him to the hilt elsewhere on the site on many occasions.

His work with the rubberbandits was sharp, original and funny and the fact that it was coming from a bunch of guys with plastic bags on their heads made it even better. When he started branching out into expressing his opinions about wider issues in the media, I felt that, for a long time that he was bang on the money about so much. Blindboy was alright, a bit of a legend in my book.

I don't know when the turning point happened, but at some point over the last two years or so he dissapeared so far up his own rectum that he's actually become insufferable. I just can not listen to his podcast anymore. He talks such wire on it: half mangled and misremembered "facts" used to prop up hot air. The Spike Lee episode last year was bloody awful: two self-regarding ejits, regarding each other. He was so patently full of sht in that episode. He was Spike's biggest fan, supposedly, but yet hadn't seen 90% of his movies...

So, a players chair with Blindboy? I fcking fear the worst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

tomwaits48 wrote: »

I'll give it a listen but probably won't last too long. I think he's been gradually disappearing up his own hole for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't know when the turning point happened, but at some point over the last two years or so he dissapeared so far up his own rectum that he's actually become insufferable. I just can not listen to his podcast anymore. He talks such wire on it: half mangled and misremembered "facts" used to prop up hot air. The Spike Lee episode last year was bloody awful: two self-regarding ejits, regarding each other. He was so patently full of sht in that episode. He was Spike's biggest fan, supposedly, but yet hadn't seen 90% of his movies...

I agree. He is constantly contradicting himself which makes it hard to take him seriously. The interview podcasts are terrible, not because of the interviewees but because the host feels he need to constantly interject with his take on the question being asked. It makes for stilted interviews with a heavy dose of agenda.

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's handy that you can just archive it and move on

Setting it on fire would be too good for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to love Blindboy and I defended him to the hilt elsewhere on the site on many occasions....
    I'm in the same boat. Think I lasted about 30 podcasts in, the talk about ****ing flow all the time drove me mad,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Did they put out a soccer pod today? I just have the Dublin GAA one.

Yep, enjoyed the John Malkovich part

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

I'll give it a listen but probably won't last too long. I think he's been gradually disappearing up his own hole for years now.

It's all about the flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Robo Voice part had me laughing out loud on the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Great John Malkovich segment, the robo voice for dangerous liasons was classic

Just saw on twitter they have Ewan McKenna in studio, I will be giving that episode a wide berth.

Hopeful its his one and only appearance on the show, if he starts popping up more and more, they will certainly be losing my subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

kilns wrote: »
    Just saw on twitter they have Ewan McKenna in studio, I will be giving that episode a wide berth.

Hopeful its his one and only appearance on the show, if he starts popping up more and more, they will certainly be losing my subscription

I'm far, far from Ewan McKenna's biggest fan. His behaviour on twitter over the past year or so is very odd, verging on concerning.

I'd be very interested in hearing him on Second Captains though!

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    I'm far, far from Ewan McKenna's biggest fan. His behaviour on twitter over the past year or so is very odd, verging on concerning.

I'd be very interested in hearing him on Second Captains though!

I hope the guys are smart enough to pull him up on some of the stupid stuff he says. He gets away with saying some crazy stuff on twitter and pundit arena dont seem to care what he writes too but maybe that says more about pundit arena

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement