Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Haha love the soundbite of the post match Interview of the Nigerian manager getting intensely questioned by an angry Nigerian journalist (and Dunphy swearing) in the background of the song Nessun Dorma during today's edition of Second Captains Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Tim Vickory interviews have been a great addition as well. He's got a great knowledge of South American football. I loved Ken's comments about Pepe in the aftermath of his sending off

" (long sigh) Pepe's such an idiot....."

Looking forward to his take on the England game last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It'll be Monday before you hear that, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Looking forward to his take on the England game last night.

This pretty much sums it up...

ronaldo_bigger.jpgKen Early ‏@kenearlys 17h
    hodgson: "we controlled suarez well, for long periods we kept him very quiet." in 1978, no-one died. in 1979, no-one died. in 1980...

• Retweets 645
    • Favorites 342

Quite apt really.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Love that hunger jingle on the new radio show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is fantastic so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah it's great to hear them live on air again, and not having to wait a while to get their reaction to things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Murph is chatting to his uncle Jim Carney on live radio. This is the best thing ever on Radio 1 not involving easily upset women on Joe Duffy.

Bollocks. Forgot about that yesterday. What a day for Galway man Murph to start a gaa show.

Edit: is there a listen back/podcast option for this? What was it called again?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Bollocks. Forgot about that yesterday. What a day for Galway man Murph to start a gaa show.

Edit: is there a listen back/podcast option for this? What was it called again?

Thanks

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9%3A10293994%3A17584%3A22%2D06%2D2014%3A

There you go, Donie :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pb Eso

I no people have talked about this before but in terms of a business model how do people think the lads are getting on??

How are they making money? / Are they??

Here are my thoughts but as someone with no real knowledge of how new media operates I'd love to hear other peoples opinions

1. The TV show - RTE pay them to produce it. They have done 2 seasons and there is some talk of further shows - but how lucrative is this?

2. The new radio show - Is RTE paying for this or is it been funded by the main sponsors The Irish Times - is it a way for the Irish times to promote the podcast and keep the lads profile up. Would they also be making money from it?

3. The Podcasts. For a while they had a single ad per show. They also they had a sponsored competition. Both were with KBC Bank if memory serves me correct.
    So how are these generating money?
    Is the Irish times happy to pay the lads to bring more viewers to its website?
    Are they playing a long game - building it up slowly and ading ads in down the line?

4. The lads (mainly ken) working as journalists for both the Irish Times and on a once off basis for other papers/magazines. - I'm guessing it must bring in some cash.

Am I missing things or do I not see the long term plans they are cooking?
    Anyone else have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

listened to the podcast yesterday after the football.
    it was like ken was telling what was about to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Still in partial catchup mode....just had a mildly embarassing lol at Ken's Jurgen Klinnsman impression :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just extended their contract with the Irish Times.

Great news that the lads have extended their contract with the Irish Times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I loved Ken's bit today which envisaged the reaction of Suarez's parents-in-law. Also, that story he told a few shows ago about the young Argentinian player out on the piss and Maradona taking the rap for him was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ken got robbed in Recife last night....lost everything apparently except for a bag of laundry :eek:

Don't have access to Twitter at the moment from work for quotes but he's totally gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Poor Ken, it's crap what happened but I was nearly in tears laughing at his build up to explaining his incident :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Hey I heard the lads are doing a radio show on RTE radio1. Is there a weekly podcast for this too? Its not on the regular second captains channel anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

FearDark wrote: »
    Hey I heard the lads are doing a radio show on RTE radio1. Is there a weekly podcast for this too? Its not on the regular second captains channel anyway.

Don't know if there's a podcast version, but you can listen back on the RTÉ website: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/second-captains-championship/programmes/2014/0622/625725-second-captains-championship-sunday-22-june-2014/

Quick heads up for anyone (like me) who forgot about it last week. Starts in a few mins

Really enjoyed the football show today, reminded me of the old days of OTB when Eoin and Ken were mentioning stories you'd never hear of from the media like when they were talking about a former Liverpool player Tommy Smith taking a penalty at half-time during the 1996 FA cup final between Man Utd and Liverpool when he couldn't walk, full story here: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tommy_Smith_%28footballer%2C_born_1945%29
    *scroll down to retirement part, 6th paragraph of the topic, don't click on the link if you haven't heard the show yet

It was funny when Ken was talking to that Brazilian journalist who said Pele cried for an hour before the 1970 final and Ken responded 'Why? food poisoning?' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Anyone else looking forward to Ken's view of last night's game? I know I am... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

dulpit wrote: »
    Anyone else looking forward to Ken's view of last night's game? I know I am... :pac:

yeah just about to post the same....can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

statss wrote: »
    yeah just about to post the same....can't wait!

For those who can't wait here's his Irish Times piece on last night.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/germany-s-slaughter-of-brazil-part-of-a-much-bigger-story-1.1859857

His written stuff for the times and slate magazine have been top class over the past few weeks. All in all Ken is having a great world cup. Well, aside from the odd robbery, traffic jam and bad dose of man flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

He didn't disappoint in that discussion with Marcotti:

"A coach that lost interest in tactics ten years ago."

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Doesn't matter how often I hear it, the little audio snippet they have for the world cup with Pavarotti singing in the background while Ken bemoans Pepe and his sending off is just brilliant :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Listening to Ken's astonished rantings about how the Brazil capitulation was unprecedented reminded me of Spartacus Mills on The Day Today

"If you've got a history book at home, take it out, throw it in the bin - it's worthless. The history books will now have to be rewritten."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement