Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Beersmith wrote: »
    No EPL today. Poor enough form

And they just said in the FAI one that they’re just gonna play a recording from last weeks show today?

That’s been a bugbear for me. I’ve always found the live shows to be mediocre. Padding out the paid service with recordings is irritating.

Never mind not bothering to record shows over the most intense sporting period of the year (Christmas/ New Years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've no issue with them putting out the live recordings, I personally see no difference in quality between these and what is recorded in studio (content wise). It made sense to release the FAI one today as that story is always updating itself. I don't really expect podcasts over the Christmas break, they've families to be with and deserve a break like most other professions.

It's annoying that stories like Russia being banned from the 2022 World Cup not being covered today. By the sounds of it, it will be another live recording today which should cover the EPL from the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

bren2001 wrote: »
    I've no issue with them putting out the live recordings, I personally see no difference in quality between these and what is recorded in studio (content wise). It made sense to release the FAI one today as that story is always updating itself. I don't really expect podcasts over the Christmas break, they've families to be with and deserve a break like most other professions.

It's annoying that stories like Russia being banned from the 2022 World Cup not being covered today. By the sounds of it, it will be another live recording today which should cover the EPL from the weekend.

They said on yesterday's pod that they would cover EPL today.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I would also ad that they have improved how they use live show output; previously that had played out the full shows (which to me didn't work well as standalone pods), the current approach of just selecting the best bits works much better.

tomwaits48 wrote: »

They also said they'd have the David Sneyd and Johnaton Wilson piece from Sunday night on Ole at United today. I assume they covered the EPL in that section with maybe Ken's report on sport at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Seriously, can we avoid the thread turning into "they should be working over Christmas" debates again? It's tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Seriously, can we avoid the thread turning into "they should be working over Christmas" debates again? It's tiresome.

It gets earlier and earlier every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

no - for my fiver they should be working every single day over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

lawred2 wrote: »
    no - for my fiver they should be working every single day over Christmas.

Exactly. A fiver wouldn't buy you a pint in a pub in Dublin you'd walk out of alive, but is more than sufficient to enserf 5 complete strangers for a calendar month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I enjoyed the Blindboy podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

tomwaits48 wrote: »

And us non service members won’t get a sniff of it.

And us non service members won’t get a sniff of it.

So you mean people who are paying €0 for any of the content are getting exactly what they pay for?

I think I'm about to just burst into tears at this, one of the greatest tragedies to ever befall mankind, one that shall echo through the ages, haunting all who hear of it.

Honestly, this ****ing thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Blindboy podcast.

I know he's not into sport at all but I'm still amazed he never knew Limerick were in the All-Ireland final when the entire city was plastered with green and white flags. You'd have to be in some bubble not to notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I know he's not into sport at all but I'm still amazed he never knew Limerick were in the All-Ireland final when the entire city was plastered with green and white flags. You'd have to be in some bubble not to notice.

flags couldn't fit up his arse.

He seems like the type that knew but would rather say he didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

100%.

I found it ironic that he spoke with Richie about the fear of disappearing up his own hole. Anyone who's listened to him for any period of time will tell you that happened a long time ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd say every person who doesn't like sport gets this leveled at time from one time to another. He also seems to be out of Limerick an awful lot for his work. It's hardly that inconceivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So was Richie the player for this interview!

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd say every person who doesn't like sport gets this leveled at time from one time to another. He also seems to be out of Limerick an awful lot for his work. It's hardly that inconceivable.

I mean he lives in Limerick city and would be travelling in and out of the city regularly. Place covered in flags, all over the local media, massive homecoming. I'd say even if you had zero interest in sport it would be virtually impossible not to notice something even by accident.

Unless you never left the house which is possible I guess.

• Advertisement

I mean he lives in Limerick city and would be travelling in and out of the city regularly. Place covered in flags, all over the local media, massive homecoming. I'd say even if you had zero interest in sport it would be virtually impossible not to notice something even by accident.

Unless you never left the house which is possible I guess.

Or not even know anyone that would mention it.

Went to the Friday show and whilst I really enjoyed it, I thought it was too short. 1:15 for 25 euro didn't represent good value in my opinion.

agreed

FAI stuff was great

Stuff on the Libya doc was thrown together, they seemed very eager not to spoil anything, so they simply didnt discuss anything interesting at all. pretty indulgent.

all in all, not great value.

ken said about ten words, and sat there looking into his beer the rest of it. decent living that.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Went to the Sunday night soccer show. Don’t care about the value the tickets are only approx €20 and I like supporting the lads. Don’t think it’s a good show, that’s the problem and they’re putting in less effort than they did in the very first shows which I went to. The majority of good content is then re released. It’s almost literally become a live recording of the podcast, there’s no audience interaction really or anything interesting about it It’s grand...I wouldn’t be that bothered going again.

Raisins wrote: »
    Went to the Sunday night soccer show. Don’t care about the value the tickets are only approx €20 and I like supporting the lads. Don’t think it’s a good show, that’s the problem and they’re putting in less effort than they did in the very first shows which I went to. The majority of good content is then re released. It’s almost literally become a live recording of the podcast, there’s no audience interaction really or anything interesting about it It’s grand...I wouldn’t be that bothered going again.

Even a question and answer segment with the audience would be something.

Went to an OTB roadshow recently and in fairness they pretty much did a full 2 hours with just a 10 minute intermission. And it was only €10. Granted maybe it was cheaper because it was sponsored.

Even a question and answer segment with the audience would be something.

Went to an OTB roadshow recently and in fairness they pretty much did a full 2 hours with just a 10 minute intermission. And it was only €10. Granted maybe it was cheaper because it was sponsored.

Wasn't their one sponsored as well? They kept mentioning O'Hara's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Is the format getting stale? At least with OTB you've a range of presenters and participants that can keep things relatively fresh.

I love SC, but when you're doing the same weekly format for a couple of years with the same three voices, you'd wonder do you get to a point where you just start phoning it in to a certain extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Is the format getting stale? At least with OTB you've a range of presenters and participants that can keep things relatively fresh.

I love SC, but when you're doing the same weekly format for a couple of years with the same three voices, you'd wonder do you get to a point where you just start phoning it in to a certain extent.

I don't think so anyway. The Pod is top notch, just the live show was a bit meh.

OTB have a range of presenters, all more annoying than the last! Couple that with horse racing, too much rugby, John Giles (who doesn't even watch matches anymore) and it went from a show I wouldn't miss to one I avoid.
    That's not even accounting for the Friday evening abomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

asdasdasdasd.png

barrel.png

coma.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

asdasdasdasd.png

barrel.png

coma.jpg

I thought you weren't even a world service subscriber? Why do you care so much about a product you don't even pay for. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

dulux99 wrote: »
    I thought you weren't even a world service subscriber? Why do you care so much about a product you don't even pay for. Weird.

So weird!! It was a great episode too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

What keeps me largely away from OTB (as well as not listening to radio anymore) is exactly the fact they have so many hosts and people involved. With podcasting in 2019, I want to find a select few people who I trust to either cover a story fully/entertainingly in the way I want and give me something to think about. You need to be accountable, people have more choice so don’t just abjectly trust the decision making of random radio programmers anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

yermandan wrote: »
    So weird!! It was a great episode too

Ken's analogy of Troy Parrott as a baby turtle having to make its own way to sea now that Mourinho is at Spurs had me in knots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ken's analogy of Troy Parrott as a baby turtle having to make its own way to sea now that Mourinho is at Spurs had me in knots!

Simons hot key from the Sopranos about "Anti Italian discrimination was brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

No posts in this thread for 6 days. A disgrace that people are winding down around Christmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No posts in this thread for 6 days. A disgrace that people are winding down around Christmas time.

Ken needs to admit that he got it badly wrong about Jose !!!

I pay €0 per month to this thread, I expect much better. All posters should outline in detail what personal circumstances excuse them falling down on the job in this fashion.

He hasn't even been in charge for a full month yet. You're not so much jumping to conclusions as bungee-ing towards them without the safety harness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

aloooof wrote: »
    He hasn't even been in charge for a full month yet. You're not so much jumping to conclusions as bungee-ing towards them without the safety harness.

He's posting it to get a reaction. Ever time he does it he gets one. So expect it to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Thought the Oisin McConville pod was very interesting. Hoped they would have gone a bit longer with it. Some of the stories of both Palestine and the North were fascinating. Sad to think kids still just want to kick a ball around no matter where in the world it is before the reality sets in.

Happy Christmas to all the Second Captainers out there and best wishes for 2020 when we can resume the age old arguments!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ken was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken was right

The players betrayed Jose. I suspect Son engineered that red in order to get a move away from the club

• Advertisement

The players betrayed Jose. I suspect Son engineered that red in order to get a move away from the club

He's lost the dressing room already. Ken was right. Justice for Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

EltonJohn69 needs to admit that he got it badly wrong about Jose !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

"You can't spell 'dodgy' without D-D-G"

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Anyone know where I'd pick up the Nigel Clough book they reviewed on today's pod in Dublin city? My old man is always recounting tales of him so I'm sure he'e enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Brian Clough, its on Amazon anyway, kindle and hard copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone know where I'd pick up the Nigel Clough book they reviewed on today's pod in Dublin city? My old man is always recounting tales of him so I'm sure he'e enjoy it.

Saying they reviewed the book is a bit of a stretch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Have they put up the US Murph live show yet, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

One thing that Ken did get wrong was Stevie G at rangers.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Have they put up the US Murph live show yet, anyone know?

I head one with him in it. I think it was the Jack McCaffrey live one.

• Advertisement

Another one today, with him and Sonia O’Sullivan. From the description this seems to the the main US Murph one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement