Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Jim Root wrote: »
    did they miss a trick not doing a GE Ken political pod special? I half expected one.

Will only happen when the dust settles. It would be so out of date so quick if they did it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'd say Sexton would want to start looking into getting a pre-emptive restraining order against Thornley for when he has retired from Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Vanilla-10x475ml.jpeg.jpg

It's Vanilla!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

The football podcast yesterday was pointless. I know its the winter break but could have left this off.

Mick McCarthy story was pointless. The "teleporter" was ridiculous.

The RB Leipzig monologue based on the article in some obscure German magazine.

I did get a laugh out of his portrayal of the election. But that report on sport was painful.

Christ, I had forgotten about that Phil Neville line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

boccy23 wrote: »
    The football podcast yesterday was pointless. I know its the winter break but could have left this off.

I did get a laugh out of his portrayal of the election. But that report on sport was painful.

I enjoyed parts but really felt like they were going through the motions (and watching the election results in the background maybe!). It was a great opportunity to discuss the relegation battle this year after some of the results over the weekend imo instead always focusing on the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

boccy23 wrote: »

I kinda liked it. They had nothing really to talk about and kind of went all over the place.

That Phil Neville story was insane - he's a very strange man with a very strange life.

Ken was wondering if the blue yazoos were milk flavoured. Surely milk flavoured yazoos would just be milk?

Though the teleporter joke is a waste of time. It's not even funny in a "can you believe how lame this is" kind of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Was definitely worth a podcast for the Phil Neville story alone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Thornley with a sly dig at the election result "change so change's sake, there's a lot of that going around".
    Easy to say from your D4 bubble Gerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Was definitely worth a podcast for the Phil Neville story alone.....

And the Richard Boyd Barrett Leipzig quip

• Advertisement

I really liked it. The Phil neville stuff was hilarious. Not as good as charlie Austin but i hope ken does more of those interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Arghus wrote: »
    I kinda liked it. They had nothing really to talk about and kind of went all over the place.

That Phil Neville story was insane - he's a very strange man with a very strange life.

Ken was wondering if the blue yazoos were milk flavoured. Surely milk flavoured yazoos would just be milk?

Though the teleporter joke is a waste of time. It's not even funny in a "can you believe how lame this is" kind of way.

The teleporter joke is worth it for how disdainful Ken seems to be about it.

The teleporter joke is worth it for how disdainful Ken seems to be about it.

It can be consigned to the dustbin of SC history as far as I'm concerned. Alongside PESBO and Frances Murphy's Guide to the weekend AKA Five Minutes of filler to pad out the Friday Episode.

Grunge week is okay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Beersmith wrote: »
    Will only happen when the dust settles. It would be so out of date so quick if they did it now.

Coming out today, interested to see who he'll have on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

what was said about Phil Neville?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Coming out today, interested to see who he'll have on

The guy who was on a while ago speaking about the Black and Tans was a bit too eager to speak. Kept interrupting Ken and the other guest mid flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Election episode was fairly dull stuff I thought. Yer man Regan is Miguel Delaney level annoying too, which is impressive in its own way I suppose.

I thought it was excellent myself. Listened to and watched a lot of the media coverage over the last few days and that was some of the tiny bit of coverage amongst the noise that tried to look at things with a bit more perspective, rather than just focusing on the stuff that happened literally earlier that day and looking for where the potential drama was to be stoked for the political soap opera tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CaptivePortal

Still Ill wrote: »
    The guy who was on a while ago speaking about the Black and Tans was a bit too eager to speak. Kept interrupting Ken and the other guest mid flow.

He done Ken a favor by interrupting and stopping him making a tit of himself. Kens knowledge of Irish political history seems to be very shallow. thus the constant referring to Brexit and Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Still Ill wrote: »

Who was the other guest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Blanco100 wrote: »
    what was said about Phil Neville?

His wife was at death's door with a very difficult delivery in the maternity hospital, and all Phil was interested in was being able to pop out for a bit of training. He did leave, but eventually the amount of haemorraging, emergency C-sectioning, and the baby's heart completely stopping for a period convinced him that it would be a good idea to cut the training short and return to the hospital. (Of course he could have just been off trying to track down the mythical Vanilla Yazoo). Odd fellow is Phil Neville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

check_six wrote: »
    Odd fellow is Phil Neville.

Phil taking training is non negotiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

I thought the discussion around Water Charges and Property Tax was very telling. This will be very interesting to see how this evolves and whether the paying for services, which we all voted for, will also be paid for by these areas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Only got round to Monday's football pod last night and enjoyed, reminded me of Ken's football show when they were on Newstalk, when they had more time to fill and it had more chance of going of on a weird tangent, instead of the tiresome complaining about Mourinhio/VAR and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Find myself not listening the last few weeks. Think I’m finally tired of Ken’s provocateur schtick, and the guys seem less into it in general these days. Murph not adding anything either. Could do with a few Players Chair episodes and less Mourinho / Var discussion. Needs an Ireland v Denmark audiobed update to bring me back I think !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Coly5 wrote: »
    Find myself not listening the last few weeks. Think I’m finally tired of Ken’s provocateur schtick, and the guys seem less into it in general these days. Murph not adding anything either. Could do with a few Players Chair episodes and less Mourinho / Var discussion. Needs an Ireland v Denmark audiobed update to bring me back I think !

I haven't heard Ken really discuss Mourinho in a while to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

For the first time since Ken & Gilroy on Newstalk I've not been bothered if I've missed the show over the past few months.

Although I put it down to being fed up with all of football, GAA and rugby. It'll pass I'm sure. Well, I hope. I've stopped listened to Football Weekly and Totally Football Show too. (Part of this is because they all seem to be trying their best to out smug each other. (Not you, McDevitt. Or you Jimbo.)

Still catch every US Murph, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Really enjoyed the League of Ireland preview today

Nokotan wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the League of Ireland preview today

I enjoyed the episode too BUT it was not a preview episode!
    They only spent 20 secs on what will happen this season and that was just 1 question of who will win the league.

Does the Man City champions league ban demand a emergency saterday broadcast ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does the Man City champions league ban demand a emergency saterday broadcast ???

No. Then they'd just have to do another one when it's inevitably overturned on appeal.

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode too BUT it was not a preview episode!
    They only spent 20 secs on what will happen this season and that was just 1 question of who will win the league.

Good point. I tweeted them saying I enjoyed it but hope they talk about the football more often, they said Richie will be in on Monday to go over the weekend's action.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I'd say keep the faith. They have remarked twice in recent weeks that it will be / was hard to scrape together content for the Monday shows. I think the absence of a title race in the Premier League, and post-WC rugby hangover are taking their toll. I expect the podcasts to pick-up when the Champions League resumes.

I also really enjoyed Ken's reference to Sarri getting into a fight with the Italian post office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The last ten minutes of the LOI podcast are some of the best stuff they've put out, absolutely brilliant.

West briton!

The LOI and election ones were the first I’ve bothered with in 3-4 weeks. Probably still worth the fee though, even in they do see the LOI as a bit of a snigger.

very poor show today considering the wealth of football stories !!! #NoKen #PartialRefund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think that's the 3rd time in a row a major football story has broken while Ken has been on his holidays.

I have to say, I really struggle to warm to that Branno fella. His documentaries have been decent but he comes across as a bit of an arse.

I have to say, I really struggle to warm to that Branno fella. His documentaries have been decent but he comes across as a bit of an arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Not a fan of him either, comes across as a bit of an Emmet Kirwan type.

• Advertisement

Think that's the 3rd time in a row a major football story has broken while Ken has been on his holidays.

Well he is often on holidays

Nokotan wrote: »
    Good point. I tweeted them saying I enjoyed it but hope they talk about the football more often, they said Richie will be in on Monday to go over the weekend's action.

Richie's recap of the League of Ireland weekend didn't really materialize.

I did enjoy the chat about City though. Sam Lee was surprisingly good about it. I've listened to his City pod on The Athletic where he is, understandably, a bit more partisan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Anyone else think Miguel learned the term "Petrol State" this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Petrostate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Maybe he should learn not being a twat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Oh good uncle Jim today... A man who is so in love with his own voice he may never stop speaking. Can't warm to him at all.

Football show was OK but as usual Ken missing when big story breaks ha

• Advertisement

Too much too ask for Ken to call in ? A quick 15 minute of reaction/opinion ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Too much too ask for Ken to call in ? A quick 15 minute of reaction/opinion ?

I actually thought he would ring in for a short bit on it but what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Too much too ask for Ken to call in ? A quick 15 minute of reaction/

He is on his holidays.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah let Ken enjoy his holiday, we'll hear from him next week.

Liked the book review, it stayed on topic for the most part and Uncle Jim was enthusiastic about it, although I have to be honest and say I didn't think the book was that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

jones wrote: »
    Oh good uncle Jim today... A man who is so in love with his own voice he may never stop speaking. Can't warm to him at all.

Football show was OK but as usual Ken missing when big story breaks ha

I'll be skipping this pod.

Shame Ken is away after a good result from Man Utd, as I am curious would he give the same amount of airtime for an analysis of a positive performance, as he does when they do poorly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement