Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

I loved This Sporting Life but unfortunately Uncle Jim...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Hippo wrote: »
    I loved This Sporting Life but unfortunately Uncle Jim...

His pod's could be played on repeat in Guantanamo. Insufferable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ken's in Belgium. Stupid sexy Flanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Uncle Jim is absolute torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone else think Miguel learned the term "Petrol State" this week?

Towards the end you could tell he didn't want to use the word again, but he had to

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Arghus wrote: »
    Uncle Jim is absolute torture.

The uncle jim thing is getting old quick. he is the kind of lad if you saw in a pub you do anything not to make conversation with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

The uncle jim thing is getting old quick. he is the kind of lad if you saw in a pub you do anything not to make conversation with him.

he's like a Dublin taxi driver you get at the airport from time to time who wont shut up talking at you when all you want to do is stay silent after a long, arduous flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

At least it was an actual book review/discussion unlike the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

to be honest I skipped over the last few episodes, cant listen to Miguel Delaney so left that one alone and the Murph filler stuff is annoying so I just avoid them.

Looking forward to this weeks episodes discussing the champions league games

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Delaney is absolutely insufferable. Supercilious arrogant bile oozes from his pores like a play dough machine.

Richie Sadlier does this Cathy Newman esque thing where he answers the question by asking a question " so what are you asking me here, will man city be banned?"

Then he doesn't really add anything that we don't know already and fence sits. He wants to run with the hares and the hounds when giving an opinion.

• Advertisement

Richie Sadlier does this Cathy Newman esque thing where he answers the question by asking a question " so what are you asking me here, will man city be banned?"

Then he doesn't really add anything that we don't know already and fence sits. He wants to run with the hares and the hounds when giving an opinion.

Richie is better when he has Ken to argue against.

He tends to state the obvious forcefully and dogmatically. Eoin and Murph play devil's advocate a bit too half heartedly to him and what he has to say as a result can sound very self evident.

On Monday it was of course City players will want to leave if there's no Champions League football and Mick McCarthy won't want Stephen Kenny around while he is still manager. Both of those points are so blindingly obvious that they don't really warrant discussion. He needs Ken's idiosyncratic opinions to actually be interesting in his own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Richie is better when he has Ken to argue against.

He tends to state the obvious forcefully and dogmatically. Eoin and Murph play devil's advocate a bit too half heartedly to him and what he has to say as a result can sound very self evident.

On Monday it was of course City players will want to leave if there's no Champions League football and Mick McCarthy won't want Stephen Kenny around while he is still manager. Both of those points are so blindingly obvious that they don't really warrant discussion. He needs Ken's idiosyncratic opinions to actually be interesting in his own right.

There’s also the school of thought that Sadlier struggles to ever say anything enlightening about matters football.

Murph offered the somewhat low functioning opinion that the worst City are going to suffer from this is that they’ll spend a few seasons as second to Liverpool. No one countered this extremely dubious point. That’s fairly indicative of the level of debate and argument you get from Richie.

Being surprised to notice how on the ball Eamon Dunphy has been on his own podcast on this. Has put three pods out on it and has called it the biggest english soccer story ever. That is overegging it but still it showed Dunphy could see or at least had been briefed that was is going on right now is of huge import.

It could be a big story, but does anyone seriously think City won't win that appeal or some mutually satisfactory fudge won't be found?

Dunphy is absolutely overegging. City will be playing in the Champions League next season.

Richie doesn't provide much generally in the way of top insight. Like I said earlier, he tends to state the obvious, often and with an exasperated tone that suggests he's railing against the consensus - when he's mostly saying the punditry equivalent of water is wet and night follows day.

But, honestly, for all that, I still find him easier to listen to on current football matters than Dunphy. Dunphy gets basic facts on teams, players, owners, managers, matches, scores etc, etc wrong all the time. He can't be taken seriously.

For me it’s not just the punishment, it’s what the punishment indicates. City have been labeled cheats now and no opposition fan or media is going to allow them forget that regardless of how the appeal goes. There is no use in a sports washing project that is mired in dirt.

We shall see but I think Dunphy was far closer to the truth of this than Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Dots1982 wrote: »
    For me it’s not just the punishment, it’s what the punishment indicates. City have been labeled cheats now and no opposition fan or media is going to allow them forget that regardless of how the appeal goes. There is no use in a sports washing project that is mired in dirt.

Any update on your position on Mark Horgan, Captain Fantasy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Eoin: "Richie, can I ask you a question?"

Richie: "Can you ask me a question?....Well let me put this to you, you a presenter are asking me Richie can you ask me a question"

Eoin: "Yes"

Richie: "Well imagine this, put yourself in my shoes, an ex-player who debates football for a living being asked, in this very studio by the way let's not forget that, a question of would he be OK with being asked such a question"

Eoin: "It's quite straightforward though I would have thought, no?"

Richie: "Well it is and it isn't, OK so let me ask all of you what would ye here say to it, remember the words you used now 'CAN I ASK YOU A QUESTION'"

Murph: "its not in my wheelhouse"

Richie: "Now the answer is Yes it shouldn't be a problem but remember you have to see it from my perspective"

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

My issue is that Miguel Delaney was on second captains, the stand, the hard shoulder...couldn’t escape him. Dunno how he is seen as the Man City FFP expert. Dunphy started off by asking him “what is ffp?” and he flustered the answer. A fella in a pub would explain it better. Says it all.

Raisins wrote: »
    My issue is that Miguel Delaney was on second captains, the stand, the hard shoulder...couldn’t escape him. Dunno how he is seen as the Man City FFP expert. Dunphy started off by asking him “what is ffp?” and he flustered the answer. A fella in a pub would explain it better. Says it all.

It always surprises me why so many outlets here have him on when there are so many better football journalists in England. To be fair to SC they do get some of those other guys on but Delaney seems to be a default guest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

kilns wrote: »
    It always surprises me why so many outlets here have him on when there are so many better football journalists in England. To be fair to SC they do get some of those other guys on but Delaney seems to be a default guest

They are mates with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

No idea what his written articles are like, but the manner in which he speaks is the opposite of clear and cogent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Still Ill wrote: »
    No idea what his written articles are like, but the manner in which he speaks is the opposite of clear and cogent

He is a newspaper editor/chief writer during a slump in print media.

The fact The Athletic didn't touch him speaks volumes. I actually remember TV3 used him years ago during European football coverage and thought it was odd, he was very young and could not have been working long. Thats over 10 years ago.

The name sounds like he knows more than he does. Miguel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He doesn't move the needle over in the UK, that's for sure. His Sunday Supplement appearances are always extremely mediocre for a chief football writer.

Wha?

City have gamed the system for sure. But do you think the reasons behind the ban are really going to register in the consciousness of opposing fans to the extent that "no opposition fan or the media is going to allow them forget that."

I think you are being melodramatic. If the ban is rescinded - which I'm certain it eventually will be - then the reasons behind it will be forgotten in most people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Miguel Delaney gets an awful doing on here!

I wouldn't have guessed he was so divisive a contributor if it wasn't for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

elefant wrote: »

I wouldn't have guessed he was so divisive a contributor if it wasn't for this thread.

Don't think he is divisive more so he doesn't really inspire. To disagree with what he is saying you would need to be paying attention to his long monologues.

dont go near his twitter so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

dont go near his twitter so :D

Haha, I may have detected a slight whiff of mixed opinion on his twitter feed.

Yeah, I find the reactions to his appearances on SC in here to be over the top.

Wha?

City have gamed the system for sure. But do you think the reasons behind the ban are really going to register in the consciousness of opposing fans to the extent that "no opposition fan or the media is going to allow them forget that."

I think you are being melodramatic. If the ban is rescinded - which I'm certain it eventually will be - then the reasons behind it will be forgotten in most people's minds.

They “gamed” the system the same way Lance Armstrong “gamed” anti doping regulations.

We shall see. I’m not going to change my opinion that city are fcuked with this ruling especially if the appeal fails. The estimated impact to city’s revenue is a hit of north of $300 million. 25% of their projected revenue over the 2 seasons

Your contention that your certain CAS will overturn it means nothing to me.

• Advertisement

They “gamed” the system the same way Lance Armstrong “gamed” anti doping regulations.

We shall see. I’m not going to change my opinion that city are fcuked with this ruling especially if the appeal fails. The estimated impact to city’s revenue is a hit of north of $300 million. 25% of their projected revenue over the 2 seasons

Your contention that your certain CAS will overturn it means nothing to me.

I do find it very suspect however that City receive this punishment but PSG dont receive any considering independent experts confirmed that sponsorship of PSG by Qatar tourism which was valued at 100m (allowed by UEFA) was actually only worth a couple of million. But Qatar state have been involved in some of the more traditional clubs like Barca and Bayern and of course are hosting the World Cup.

I do find it very suspect however that City receive this punishment but PSG dont receive any considering independent experts confirmed that sponsorship of PSG by Qatar tourism which was valued at 100m (allowed by UEFA) was actually only worth a couple of million. But Qatar state have been involved in some of the more traditional clubs like Barca and Bayern and of course are hosting the World Cup.

PSG weren’t exposed on football leaks. City were.

PSG made big signings in Neymar and Mbappe but apart from that they actually have a lot of young French players in their squad. It’s not quite City level spending where they were continually going back into market spending 20-70 million every time for the best. My impression anyway. Don’t have the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Delaney has 265k tweets and gets involved in some petty Twitter rows. Not far off the football journalist version of Graham Linehan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Miguel Delaney > Damian Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Miguel Delaney > Damian Delaney

Came here to say that after listening today. Brutal stuff.

'Very very very very very very very very' (all pronounced 'vury')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah Damian Delaney is an instant skip

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This thread is more narky than usual this week, need to get Ken back ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Even Eoin said 'oh god I need Ken back' at one stage today 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

yermandan wrote: »
    Came here to say that after listening today. Brutal stuff.

'Very very very very very very very very' (all pronounced 'vury')

I don't think what he says is the problem..... it's more how boring his voice is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

One of the contributors saif that the difference between PSG and City was honesty. Both were caught. PSG let UEFA in, were open and honest in future meetings. City continued to lie there holes off and had zero intention of complying with UEFAs rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Amazing how quickly the pod descends into the realm of 'standard boring football podcast' without Ken. I even missed Murph's insipid interruptions today, that's how crap Damien Delaney was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Blanco100 wrote: »
    He is a newspaper editor/chief writer during a slump in print media.

The fact The Athletic didn't touch him speaks volumes. I actually remember TV3 used him years ago during European football coverage and thought it was odd, he was very young and could not have been working long. Thats over 10 years ago.

He says he turned down The Athletic. Haven't a clue if it's true but he says he did.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did offer him a job. They asked practically everyone. Apart from Neil Custis.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah Damian Delaney is an instant skip

He's constantly on OTB these days and now doing bits and pieces on SC. I don't get it. I guess he's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's like the whole thread is off the smokes.

He says he turned down The Athletic. Haven't a clue if it's true but he says he did.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did offer him a job. They asked practically everyone. Apart from Neil Custis.

Maybe it was in solidarity with his best mate McKenna who was wasnt asked but I guess there is no market for the Atlantic in click bait pieces on Dublin GAA and Irish Rugby :pac:

Great stuff yesterday.

Ken.
    Andy Lee.
    Practically no rugby talk.

Heard Andy Lee was coming on, didn’t even make it as far as Early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Still Ill wrote: »

It's his major downfall. Much like Murph he consistently struggles to be articulate. In the broadcasting game that translates to switching off.

Aidric wrote: »
    It's his major downfall. Much like Murph he consistently struggles to be articulate. In the broadcasting game that translates to switching off.

Don't think Delaney struggles being articulate in the slightest. If anything he's too verbose.

His writing is actually grand usually but he comes across as completely insufferable on Twitter. Arrogant and condescending when anyone disagrees with him.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Don't think Delaney struggles being articulate in the slightest. If anything he's too verbose.

His writing is actually grand usually but he comes across as completely insufferable on Twitter. Arrogant and condescending when anyone disagrees with him.

at any given time day or night you can log on to twitter to find him telling people why what they think is wrong.

normally against the general consensus too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement