Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I enjoyed Ken's discussion with Richie about Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The Stephen McPhail interview was top notch stuff IMO. Would be really cool if they could make more long form interviews a more regular thing, maybe once a month or something on a Wednesday...

Also found the piece with Paul Kimmage very interesting. There's been a while where the regular show has felt a bit GAA dominated, so it was nice to have a different sport taking focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

McDevitt said there'd be six shows this week to celebrate the 250th show.

F***in hell that was quick!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They've been doing 4 shows a week since the start of August last year. 52 by 4 is 208, so they would rack them up pretty quickly at that rate.

On an unrelated note the PBESO's are back, I don't like them cos most of the people seem like they are trying too hard to impress and just come across as irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Will Murph ever shut the f**k up during the football show!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

anyone know that name of the superb ambient music playing under the Dunphy qoutes about Ireland England on this weeks show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I listened to Monday's show this evening, the bit on GAA was pretty woeful I thought, I normally find it pretty okay (as a non-GAA fan), but the way the lads were going on about Croke Park being a must and how the red card shouldn't have been a red card was shocking stuff in my mind. Poor fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

dulpit wrote: »
    I listened to Monday's show this evening, the bit on GAA was pretty woeful I thought, I normally find it pretty okay (as a non-GAA fan), but the way the lads were going on about Croke Park being a must and how the red card shouldn't have been a red card was shocking stuff in my mind. Poor fair.

Have you ever been to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick? Worst stand in Ireland, up there with the worst stadium the GAA have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

dulpit wrote: »

I agree, it was poor, repetitive analysis and it seemed to go on forever. Maybe some listeners enjoy that kind of thing but I would prefer something more insightful and concise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Skid X wrote: »
    I agree, it was poor, repetitive analysis and it seemed to go on forever. Maybe some listeners enjoy that kind of thing but I would prefer something more insightful and concise.

I thought it was terrible. Shane Curran sounds like a man who has taken one to many presentation skills courses, he doesn't sound natural at all, you want a guy to talk like he would in a pub but he sounds like he is trying to come across as intelligent or something... Christ he is like a boring teacher I find myself totally tuning out when he talks ... Zzzzz

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed the Bill O'Herlihy interview. Could listen to that man talk all day. )

250 episodes / 6,000,000+ plays on Soundcloud = 24000 listeners per show, not including iTunes which they are consistently charting in or other means of listening.

I think that's really impressive for an Irish podcast.

Yeah, the Bill interview was brilliant.

(For what it's worth I was happy to hear Shane Curran giving out yards about what is a ludicrous situation)

anyone know that name of the superb ambient music playing under the Dunphy qoutes about Ireland England on this weeks show?

Someone asked them the same question on twitter - it's "Window" by Amber Leaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bill jumping in predicting Eoin's questions got a bit annoying but it was a good interview.

Just listening to thre David Baddiel interview. Really good stuff. Between this, Parky and Bill the other day, the show has been great recently.

This one is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Loved all the extra stuff this week. Great for the commute to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Normally I enjoy the GAA coverage but I thought they were pretty condescending about Donegal on the last show.

Yes the 2011 game against Dublin wasn't pretty to watch but they've evolved their game since. Not every county has the players to play free flowing football and McGuinness has had to adapt a system to suit the players available to him. The height of the analysis on the show was that they would have 15 men behind the ball and try to rough them up.

Just seems typical of attitudes in Dublin based media outlets towards Northern teams. Anyway, great show otherwise, rant over!

*I may or may not be from Donegal.*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Slobbery wrote: »
    I thought it was terrible. Shane Curran sounds like a man who has taken one to many presentation skills courses, he doesn't sound natural at all, you want a guy to talk like he would in a pub but he sounds like he is trying to come across as intelligent or something... Christ he is like a boring teacher I find myself totally tuning out when he talks ... Zzzzz

Agree with this....only catching up on these episodes now....Curran was a disgrace, getting on his hyperbolic high horse about everything.

Still find the overall quality is quite good....although Murph chipping in on the Football Show is starting to veer into ColmParkinson-esque territory

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

I think it's a great podcast, just always forget to listen to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Their new website (secondcaptains.com) is quite slick.

Also, to answer questions raised here previously, they have added a spotify playlist of all the music they use on their jingles/clips/etc: http://open.spotify.com/user/secondcaptains/playlist/46W4ELRhxXz266Ai02t8bH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Oh cool, didn't know about their site, thanks for the link!

Cartman78 wrote: »

Still find the overall quality is quite good....although Murph chipping in on the Football Show is starting to veer into ColmParkinson-esque territory

Hopefully he will disappear from the Football Show once the TV show starts up again. That's what happened the last time anyway.

Football show was great today. The Quinn and Sadlier pieces were a highlight. I liked that they sort of had contrasting views on the Irish eligibility thing.

Sound quality was pretty poor on both shows today for some reason, a lot of fluctuating levels and low level hum in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Football show was great today. The Quinn and Sadlier pieces were a highlight. I liked that they sort of had contrasting views on the Irish eligibility thing.

Sound quality was pretty poor on both shows today for some reason, a lot of fluctuating levels and low level hum in the background.

The motor was obviously running on the
    Helicopter
    :pac:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone else find the jingles/clips are way too long. They've also been using the same ones since the beginning, I'd know them off by heart if I didn't skip through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the jingles/clips are way too long. They've also been using the same ones since the beginning, I'd know them off by heart if I didn't skip through them.

I really like the US Sports one but the boxing (alien) one is getting a bit tiresome.

Yeah the "I'm an alien... I'm an a-a-aliennnn" one is the only one I don't like any more tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

FunLover18 wrote: »

Agreed. They introduced some new ones around the world cup but they seen to be back to the same repetition again. I quite like the US sport one too but it only being on once a week probably keeps it more fresh. If they'd keep them to 10 to 15 seconds, it'd be fine but some of them must be nearly a minute long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah the "I'm an alien... I'm an a-a-aliennnn" one is the only one I don't like any more tbh.

Who is that speaking (alien quote) ?

I knew the players, Clough cos he called me Revie didn't know them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Who is that speaking (alien quote) ?

Bernard Hopkins -- bit of a lunatic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement