Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah Murph realised his mistake and backed away almost immediately, wasn't like he offered a half hearted defence or something.

Ken ranting about the FIFA movie was gold - "The official document of the World Cup is a contemptible piece of hackwork, actually repulsive, I turned it off"

If the lads working from home for the next few weeks means a tonne more audiobeds, then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ken ranting about the FIFA movie was gold - "The official document of the World Cup is a contemptible piece of hackwork, actually repulsive, I turned it off"

I know exactly what he's talking about with those dumb camera angles and I agree with Ken 100%

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Beersmith wrote: »
    Murphs answer to the 'hot hand' question with the example Leo Messi was extremely stupid. It's like he had no understanding of the concept that was just talked about for the past 30min.

Its streak players not the best you idiot

The guy didn't ask who was the "hottest hand" you know in soccer but but who was "hottest soccer player". Murph threw out Messi as the hottest player but not the "hottest hand" and was quick to make that definition.

Murph did have a cracker up his sleeve with Andy Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

unplayable wrote: »
    That McGregor audiobed is one of the best ever so good
    Cienciano wrote: »
    "what about people who don't have jobs?"

"Put them in prison"

These DoD podcasts are hilarious- the way he gives the sheep names is quiet funny but the randomness of the names like Beatrice is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

These DoD podcasts are hilarious- the way he gives the sheep names is quiet funny but the randomness of the names like Beatrice is brilliant.

He's a very funny guy.. Saw him a few times. When quarantine is finished and if you're in Dublin keep an eye on his Facebook. He does free shows upstairs in Anseo to try out new material.

Lost track of the amount of shows I’ve went to of his now. This is great though as it’s all new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've had Ghost Town in my head for a week now.

Still Ill wrote: »
    He's a very funny guy.. Saw him a few times. When quarantine is finished and if you're in Dublin keep an eye on his Facebook. He does free shows upstairs in Anseo to try out new material.

Unfortunately I live in liverpool - watched him here last year and have tickets for his show around october time when he is over here again.. got a feeling there may be some stories from achill in the show..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You've got to hand it to animals. They couldn't give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Only just got around to listening to the economics podcast from last week, must say I really like Mark Blythe. He talks a lot of sense and explains things without all the bullshít you often get from economists. I remember thinking the same after his previous appearance on the Brexit pod with Ken a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Whats the background music to the McGregor audiobed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Aidric wrote: »
    That Rory Best sting is an instant hall of famer.

With apologies for quoting myself but they're really cranking it up in the last week. The first McGregor sting was great but the latest one where they layered the ER theme over it had me in stitches.

Empathise fully with Ken in not being able to focus on any movies or books or anything. Everything I watch depresses me in exactly the same way - "Oh, yeah, d'ya remember when you could go outside and meet people?" Cultural stuff feel like artefacts from the old world that have nothing useful to tell me now.

Ken's suggestion of a two hour long show just so he can let his pent up verbal energy out sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not sure I can bear a Dublin gaa footballer on the players chair. Might give it a miss unless it gets rave reviews here :)

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Not sure I can bear a Dublin gaa footballer on the players chair. Might give it a miss unless it gets rave reviews here :)

I’ve managed to sit through Paddy Holohan, Andy Moran, and even half of Blindboy so anyone should be able to give anything a lash :D

Thought we might get a regular show today as well. Not complaining about the amount of content - they've been great since all this shyte started - but you know, fck it, sure the show is just basically them having a chat at this stage and it's not like anyone is doing anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Arghus wrote: »

Ken's suggestion of a two hour long show just so he can let his pent up verbal energy out sounds good to me.

I would honestly pay double what I am paying to have this as a regular weekly slot

Thought we might get a regular show today as well. Not complaining about the amount of content - they've been great since all this shyte started - but you know, fck it, sure the show is just basically them having a chat at this stage and it's not like anyone is doing anything else!

I actually think this is more entertaining (to a certain extent).

I was starting to bore of the sameness of the schedule - they just weren't doing anything fresh. I was still listening to all of it though.

A few references for comparison and keeping things moving, grand. But Richie is far too interested in talking about Richie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

A few references for comparison and keeping things moving, grand. But Richie is far too interested in talking about Richie.

Ha ha I like Richie but totally agree with this he's so self obsessed

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

jones wrote: »
    Ha ha I like Richie but totally agree with this he's so self obsessed

"You made your debut on a Saturday, now that's interesting because I also made my debut on a Saturday. I remember how it was, the cold, frosty morning...."

I really enjoy his interviews and actually don't mind the constant references to himself but it's hard not to notice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't Richie say before that talking about himself in interviews is a technique to get the person to open up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

To be fair them just having a chat is always great. The first 10 minutes of the podcast is always the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I actually think this is more entertaining (to a certain extent).

I was starting to bore of the sameness of the schedule - they just weren't doing anything fresh. I was still listening to all of it though.

Yeah totally agree with you here. I don't miss Ken going on and on about Jose for 30 minutes every podcast anyway :D:D.

I thoroughly recommend Fatal Deviation.

"You made me look bad and that's not good"

All time classic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

He was very bad at this when he first started out, but I thought he had reigned it in over the last year. He lost the run of himself with Kevin though, sounds like they are mates "off the field" so understandable I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I thoroughly recommend Fatal Deviation.

My favourite film of all time. Comedy gold. Watch it at least once a year after a few beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

As has been mentioned, the player's chair is just Richie Sadlier having the same conversation with every single guest because he continually describes how he experienced something before asking the guest.

So, 1, we have to listen to Richie describe his experiences over and over again, and 2, each guests' answer is somehow tainted because they're not responding only to the question, they're also trying to relate their experience to Richie's so we don't get a really introspective answer. Unless it's someone like Paul Kimmage who loves listening to himself.

It's not a counselling session, it's an interview with a sports person. It's not the same thing and should be approached differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

As has been mentioned, the player's chair is just Richie Sadlier having the same conversation with every single guest because he continually describes how he experienced something before asking the guest.

So, 1, we have to listen to Richie describe his experiences over and over again, and 2, each guests' answer is somehow tainted because they're not responding only to the question, they're also trying to relate their experience to Richie's so we don't get a really introspective answer. Unless it's someone like Paul Kimmage who loves listening to himself.

It's not a counselling session, it's an interview with a sports person. It's not the same thing and should be approached differently.

Each to their in, but I enjoy Richie's style of getting people to open up and talk about stuff they otherwise wouldn't in the 100 other generic interviews you've seen them give.

That Sunderland documentary is manna from heaven for them at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Delaney back again. Is this lockdown not punishment enough?!

Delaney back again. Is this lockdown not punishment enough?!

Wasn't he on last week?

Have to say I find him fairly anodyne, don't get the 'FFS not this bollox again' everytime he appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I used to love US Murph but the last year or so have become bored annoyed listening to him same old stories and over the top talk about things like the warriors, tom brady and baseball. I don't mind talk about any of them but its the exact same things he talks about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No new podcasts ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I didn't get one yesterday either. I've got a red banner saying "Error 403 the server is refusing to respond to the request..."

I've paid this month as I got a receipt yesterday. This ever happen to anyone?

There is two new ones that popped up this afternoon for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Beersmith wrote: »
    There is two new ones that popped up this afternoon for me!

Same here, 2 today, 2 yesterday. Using Podcast Addict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Today I learned how to play Ghost Town on bass guitar.

#isolating

• Advertisement

Loving the Isolation podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Yeah, very enjoyable. Though he wasn't in the best of form yesterday! (Friday)

The sound effects Mark adds to the Isolating pod are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I really like DOD but I couldn't get into them. Listened to the first two and that was enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

I was reluctant to give the DOD pods a listen as I can usually only tolerate his comedy style in small doses, but having listening to a few I actually quite like them. I struggle to sleep without some form of podcast so they are doing the job.

I really like DOD but I couldn't get into them. Listened to the first two and that was enough for me.

They've gotten better as they've gone along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

They've gotten better as they've gone along.

Agreed. Really enjoying them. His ramblings and stories are very funny. Audio bits added by Mark are also very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Good episode today.
    Ken in great form with the return of the report on sport.

Yeah, good old proper news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Unsubscribed last week, DOD (for me at least) the unfunniest Irish comedian of his generation and the other content , audiobeds aside, just not up to scratch, when you see other pods like the Athletic and Football Cliches cover this barren period so much better

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement