Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Yeah one of the best football related pods in a long while. Kenny had a great rapport with the lads and was well up for taking the piss out of himself, which I really wasn't expecting from him at all.

Ken's previous description of the after party was great too, Kinsella hiding his smoke and Ken questioning a disinterested Richard Dunne about Man City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They should really get Ken to rewatch and review every Irish International soccer game to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

France - Ireland would be next on the list for me.

Thierry Henry has just handled the ball BASKETBALL STYLE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

It’s funny that Kenny Cunningham came across as affable and friendly on yesterday’s podcast but seems a bit grumpy and serious when on TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

It’s funny that Kenny Cunningham came across as affable and friendly on yesterday’s podcast but seems a bit grumpy and serious when on TV!

Yeah I was so surprised. Where the hell is this kenny on TV! He would be great if he was half as charismatic as he was on the pod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Arghus wrote: »
    France - Ireland would be next on the list for me.

Thierry Henry has just handled the ball BASKETBALL STYLE!!

Please no, how cruel can you be the tears just dried from the spain 2002 game maybe ireland Holland for something more uplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

He's usually good when he's on OTB as well in fairness. He's defo more relaxed off camera I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Dunphy used to give him an awful time on the RTE panel. Almost verging on bullying I'd say.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Dunphy used to give him an awful time on the RTE panel. Almost verging on bullying I'd say.

Kenny used to show up his lack of research and knowledge and that made Dunphy feel insecure. As a result he used to try to lord it over Kenny, basically trying to mock him because he was so serious and well prepared - typical bully stuff to be honest. Dunphy is happy when he gets to play his assigned role of the established contrarian - but when someone comes in and doesn't respect his "knowledge" or doesn't bow down to him, the mask slips then and he becomes a bully and not just for football either. What made it explosive was that Kenny has his own form of ego too and doesn't like to come off second best in an argument and will argue until the bitter end if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think Kenny was a regular on the night time highlights show at, I believe, the World Cup before last. I remember thinking he's very funny when it's the right environment.

He's easily one of the best things about OTB these days. Easily.

• Advertisement

Kenny used to show up his lack of research and knowledge and that made Dunphy feel insecure. As a result he used to try to lord it over Kenny, basically trying to mock him because he was so serious and well prepared - typical bully stuff to be honest. Dunphy is happy when he gets to play his assigned role of the established contrarian - but when someone comes in and doesn't respect his "knowledge" or doesn't bow down to him, the mask slips then and he becomes a bully and not just for football either. What made it explosive was that Kenny has his own form of ego too and doesn't like to come off second best in an argument and will argue until the bitter end if necessary.

Incidentally, I've subscribed to The Stand again since everything went mental.

Eamo, too, is great in the right environment.

(I remember him giving Kenny a hard time and being pretty embarassed by the state of it. Eamonn, of all people, barracking someone for not having evidence for what they say about a football match).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

CiaranW wrote: »
    Great hearing from Kenny Cunningham. Would like to hear from him more.

He's been a regular on Off the Ball for years, he's usually on there at least once a week.

The worst part about that is it pretty much killed off Kenny's RTE career. He's hardly been on there since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Just read the chapter in Richie Sadliers book about Dunphy and sounds like Eamonn treated him the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Not surprised about Dunphy trying to bully Sadlier and Kenny as he's a poisonous little mouthpiece. I listen to the Stand because of the guests and topics and certainly not for Dunphy who is imo one of the worst interviewers and his lack of awareness in butting in when his guests are mid sentence is deplorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Kenny Cunningham is a very good pundit, but he needs to be managed by the presenter. The pod during the week was perfect as the lads knew when to just let the Kenny Cunningham Information Dump happen, when to probe and when to digress a little. Rarely the case with the banterfest that is OTB these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I'm only listening to the DOD podcast these days,really enjoying it.

Reminiscing about matches/events decades old does nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

healy1835 wrote: »
    Kenny Cunningham is a very good pundit, but he needs to be managed by the presenter. The pod during the week was perfect as the lads knew when to just let the Kenny Cunningham Information Dump happen, when to probe and when to digress a little. Rarely the case with the banterfest that is OTB these days.

Agree 100%. Was actually about to reply to the previous poster that mentioned Kenny is a regular on OTB. I'm not sure who the producer is on OTB but he/she must take their lead on how presenters should act from Soccer AM or Lad Bible. It's a joke.

Agree 100%. Was actually about to reply to the previous poster that mentioned Kenny is a regular on OTB. I'm not sure who the producer is on OTB but he/she must take their lead on how presenters should act from Soccer AM or Lad Bible. It's a joke.

Nathan Murphy has the mentality of a child. I very rarely listen to OTB anymore. Maybe Dan McDonnel on a Saturday and the Sunday Paper Review and Jonn Giles on a Thu. About 2 hours per week. Thats all i can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

Reminiscing about matches/events decades old does nothing for me.

Yeah I'm not into it whatsoever. Not solely on Second Captains but they're all at it. RTÉ each morning now are still keeping the sports slots and reminiscing on events from the past and while I don't listen to OTB, I see the titles of their podcasts and it's a lot of looking back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

pow_pow wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not into it whatsoever. Not solely on Second Captains but they're all at it. RTÉ each morning now are still keeping the sports slots and reminiscing on events from the past and while I don't listen to OTB, I see the titles of their podcasts and it's a lot of looking back too.

I enjoy these pods way more than the regular Mourinho bashing podcasts that we get. What do you expect the lads to do other than podcasts like these?

Raoul wrote: »
    I enjoy these pods way more than the regular Mourinho bashing podcasts that we get. What do you expect the lads to do other than podcasts like these?

I like the coverage of old GAA games on tv and Woloy on the GAA Hour and Shane Stapleton on Our Game on Youtube have been doing fantastic work in that regard. Im not into listening to old soccer games though but could listen to the GAA all day.

I like the pods looking back on older games, particularly when they come with stories of Ken's adventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I like the coverage of old GAA games on tv and Woloy on the GAA Hour and Shane Stapleton on Our Game on Youtube have been doing fantastic work in that regard. Im not into listening to old soccer games though but could listen to the GAA all day.

I'm the exact opposite haha. I would say they will eventually do some GAA matches.

One thing about the some of the current pods I like is that they don't have to be listened to straight away to be relevant. I have the Sunderland 'til I die ep waiting until I finish the series. Same with the Andy Lee fight review, I have that saved until I can be arsed watching the fight (that may never happen). The 2002 WC game pod could also be revisited at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What I appreciate about looking back at and reminiscing about classic games is that not everything surrounding them is coloured by coronavirus. They're moments in time and sport that can be talked about and enjoyed purely for what they were.

It's just a nice change from absolutely every conversation and every facet of life eventually circling back to the current shítshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Nathan Murphy has the mentality of a child. I very rarely listen to OTB anymore. Maybe Dan McDonnel on a Saturday and the Sunday Paper Review and Jonn Giles on a Thu. About 2 hours per week. Thats all i can manage.

I've been enjoying OTB am since this pandemic came along. A good mixture of current sports news and looking back.
    Ken's Bill Shankly gave me enough laughs to justify this month's subscription alone, but generally not too impressed with what they've come up with and will probably let it go at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    I've been enjoying OTB am since this pandemic came along. A good mixture of current sports news and looking back.

And lots of banter too I imagine!!

And lots of banter too I imagine!!

No more than is on Second Captains these days. Yer man Nathan is the worst for it and he's not a OTB am presenter. He would do well on Talk Sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Off the ball had kilbane and Cunningham almost nightly for a while and the show wasn’t too bad.... but yeah the hosts poison everything with their forced banter....and the worst part is they think their banter is pure/solid gold... they are delighted with themselves

No more than is on Second Captains these days. Yer man Nathan is the worst for it and he's not a OTB am presenter. He would do well on Talk Sport.

Nah. Second Captains is an example of three friends having a genuine laugh which comes across completely natural.

OTB is presenters constantly trying to have the "bants" with their guests and it's absolutely cringeworthy.

Nah. Second Captains is an example of three friends having a genuine laugh which comes across completely natural.

OTB is presenters constantly trying to have the "bants" with their guests and it's absolutely cringeworthy.

Agree. No comparison. Second Captains is excellent although i have not subscribed to it and only get one free hour show per week on Spotify. OTB is a head melt with a few insufferable hosts.

• Advertisement

Listened to Ger Gilroy being interviewed on Jarlath Regan's podcast a few years back. It's pretty clear that the gradual shift to the Banter Brigade is down to his influence on proceedings. He fancies himself as a bit of a Bill Simmons type, but just can't pull it off. It's a pity as when he plays it straight he's as good as what's around, but that Ger doesn't show up too often these days.

Just because they're friends doesn't make it funny.
    I've been finding the bantz on SC over the last few weeks tiresome as it takes up more and more time on the pods.
    Not that OTB hasn't made me roll my eyes and turn it off in the past for the same thing. Less of it on OTB am though.

I didn't say it was funny. I said it comes across natural.

quote="Brock Turnpike;113184975"]I didn't say it was funny. I said it comes across natural.[/quote]

Pre planned bantz on something that isn't live doesn't sound very natural. But that's just me.

I don't want to sound like I'm laying into them. Generally I do think they're better at what they do than the competition and worth the money. Just not feeling the positivity that others on here are around what they've been putting out since the lockdown kicked in. If I found David O'Doherty funny I guess I'd be Ok with it.

I've never subscribed to the notion than their bantz is so very good and OTBs(Nathan Murphy aside) is so very bad. Both have the ability to be wearing, forced and annoying.

I've been finding the bantz on SC over the last few weeks tiresome as it takes up more and more time on the pods.
    Not that OTB hasn't made me roll my eyes and turn it off in the past for the same thing. Less of it on OTB am though.

You must be listening to a different OTB am then I am. Or maybe I'm just grumpier in the morning! Usually wouldn't have the chance to listen to it, but my podcast feed has to stretch a little longer these days so I'll throw it on some mornings. Today showed me that the crappy quiz is even more nauseating first thing in the morning.

healy1835 wrote: »
    You must be listening to a different OTB am then I am. Or maybe I'm just grumpier in the morning! Usually wouldn't have the chance to listen to it, but my podcast feed has to stretch a little longer these days so I'll throw it on some mornings. Today showed me that the crappy quiz is even more nauseating first thing in the morning.

It is quite long and I would generally only listen to about an hour of it that doesn't include the crappy quiz. I too am grumpy in the morning and thats bantz I could do without.

deisedude wrote: »
    Just read the chapter in Richie Sadliers book about Dunphy and sounds like Eamonn treated him the same way

I’d say Dunphy would just love that there was a chapter about him at all. In fairness I’d take him at his worst over Sadlier any day.

Stopped listening to OtB after the Cora Staunton stuff a while back but even when I used to tune in all the time they weren’t a patch on SC. Very forced.

To each their own, but I think there's no comparison between the SC boys and Off The Ball.

SC are sharper, funnier, have better chemistry, are less overbearing and self righteous. They're way better. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I think most who are signed up members with SC would agree, thats why we pay â‚€5 a month(plus taxes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Prob already mentioned but I'm somewhat behind listening - Ken's tele conferencing contribution to the Stephen Kenny presser was hilarious..

To each their own, but I think there's no comparison between the SC boys and Off The Ball.

SC are sharper, funnier, have better chemistry, are less overbearing and self righteous. They're way better. But that's just me.

It's not just you. It's a fact.

And that's a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Great example of that on today's pod with Ken having a go at Murph about the Coombe raider.

Stopped listening to OtB after the Cora Staunton stuff a while back but even when I used to tune in all the time they weren’t a patch on SC. Very forced.

What was the Staunton stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Great example of that on today's pod with Ken having a go at Murph about the Coombe raider.

That was fantastic. I can actually imagine Ken being the grumpy one not wanting to talk to fans of the show and if that's the case I'd say he's loving the fact Murph was called out on it.

What was the Staunton stuff?

They gave her a stage more than once to ruin a mans career on false claims where she was trying to imply really shady stuff. They basically went woman vs man and railed in behind her but it was picked apart by better sources.

They gave her a stage more than once to ruin a mans career on false claims where she was trying to imply really shady stuff. They basically went woman vs man and railed in behind her but it was picked apart by better sources.

Oh. Was that in relation to her leaving the panel? Any links to the better sources that I could read up on?

Nokotan wrote: »
    That was fantastic. I can actually imagine Ken being the grumpy one not wanting to talk to fans of the show and if that's the case I'd say he's loving the fact Murph was called out on it.

I think that's why Murph calling him a dickhead sounded so genuine. He couldn't believe his audacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The lads are usually excellent but the David O Doherty podcast on pre-planned outrageousness is a bit of a disaster.

We get it David, you're wacky - scripted wacky.

I know they have a lot of gaps to fill but this was a poor choice

• Advertisement

I’d say you’re part of a minority on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement