Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ken had a interview with a Mark Blyth a couple of weeks ago that was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Just signed up for the first time. Is there any shows I should go back and listen to which are very good. Any recommendations would be great please. Cheers

A few stick out to me in particular:
    - Richie interviewing Paul Kimmage for the Players Chair. Also Players chairs’ with Andy Moran, Brian Lenihan and Paul Starwart
    - The lads interviewing a really grumpy Vincent Browne
    - Asif Capadia discussing his Maradona documentary
    - A number of Ken’s politics podcasts: Black and Tans discussion, Mark Blyth (x2), David Wallace Wells
    - Post Ulster rugby trial discussion
    -Anything with Tim Vickery

Yeah, the Vincent Browne one was good. He wasn't in the mood for agreeing with too much.

That's going back to March 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The podcast after Ireland v Denmark drawn qualifier last November I think. Ken and Richie debating whether we played well or not. Probably my highlight in terms of football reviews. The review of Ireland v Spain in 2002 a couple of weeks back with Kenny Cunningham was also brilliant.

I re-subscribed last August for the Andy Moran player's chair interview. The Matt Doherty player's chair was another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'd recommend any of the podcast from when Ken is traveling. Euro 2016 and WC 2018 were very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'd recommend any of the podcast from when Ken is traveling. Euro 2016 and WC 2018 were very funny.

Ken in Vegas for the McGregor fights was hilarious too

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I watched Deep Water and I, Tonya today after the recommendations during the pod. Really enjoyed both.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I'm the opposite. I will now completely disregard any movie Murph recommends as he obviously has awful taste seeing as he thinks The Room is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I'm the opposite. I will now completely disregard any movie Murph recommends as he obviously has awful taste seeing as he thinks The Room is ****e.

Well he hasn't watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Deep Water was excellent.
    Very moving documentary on the struggle of a man fearing financial run that blighted his own childhood, driving himself insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Just signed up for the first time. Is there any shows I should go back and listen to which are very good. Any recommendations would be great please. Cheers

Ken did four sketches called "The Fair View" in 2016/2017. Three of them around the time of the Dublin Vs Kerry Semi and Dublin Vs Mayo All Ireland Finals in 2016 and one for Colm Coopers retirement. Not to be missed! Some of his best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

lets not forget Kens gooaaaalllllllllllllsssssssss, where he reads out the FA Cup third-round scores in a hilarious Alan Partridge Esque manner

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭CiaranW

Carli Lloyd interview today is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Arghus wrote: »
    "You'll be pulling the plum off yourself."

Worth the subscription alone.

Last week overall was very entertaining. Convinced me to stay subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nokotan wrote: »
    I watched Deep Water and I, Tonya today after the recommendations during the pod. Really enjoyed both.

I, Tonya was a great movie. How it wasn’t even nominated for Best Picture is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

CiaranW wrote: »
    Carli Lloyd interview today is really good.

It's good but she doesn't really have much humility at all does she?

Raoul wrote: »
    She talks about it very matter of factly doesnt she, but I think she pulls it off without sounding too big headed. She knows she had to put in the work to get there and doesnt seem like she has any delusions about herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Raoul wrote: »

Like it or loathe it, that's a big reason why Lloyd is so successful and most (all?) top athletes are the same. She knew she was good enough despite being told otherwise but also had the self awareness to know she had flaws that needed to be sorted. And that's exactly what she did, fair play to her.

Great get for them, it was a solid interview and she didn't dodge any of the questions or give roundabout answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Like it or loathe it, that's a big reason why Lloyd is so successful and most (all?) top athletes are the same. She knew she was good enough despite being told otherwise but also had the self awareness to know she had flaws that needed to be sorted. And that's exactly what she did, fair play to her.

Great get for them, it was a solid interview and she didn't dodge any of the questions or give roundabout answers.

Yeah I really enjoyed the interview. Ken picked up on the character changes that were needed and probed her on it but she completely ducked the answer, almost politician-like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Xavi6 wrote: »

I haven't listened yet, but every successful American has to have that in their story. Child prodigy that had every advantage in life and was top of every class? "They told me I'd never amount to anything". Tough upbringing in a disadvantaged area is the other one that's usually thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cienciano wrote: »
    I haven't listened yet, but every successful American has to have that in their story. Child prodigy that had every advantage in life and was top of every class? "They told me I'd never amount to anything". Tough upbringing in a disadvantaged area is the other one that's usually thrown in.

To be fair, she was very open in saying she had the talent but wasn't fit enough and didn't have the right headspace. She recognised her flaws and worked on them. She was extremely complementary towards her personal coach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

might have been a good idea to vet Terry Fenwick before he came on the show and revealed himself to be a conspiracy nut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    might have been a good idea to vet Terry Fenwick before he came on the show and revealed himself to be a conspiracy nut!

A right crank and came across as very bitter. Sure if he was man marking Maradona they'd have won the world cup... :rolleyes:

dulpit wrote: »
    A right crank and came across as very bitter. Sure if he was man marking Maradona they'd have won the world cup... :rolleyes:

I actually thought he was very accommodating of the lads, particularly when they seemed to be taking the piss out of him.

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair, she was very open in saying she had the talent but wasn't fit enough and didn't have the right headspace. She recognised her flaws and worked on them. She was extremely complementary towards her personal coach too.

I have listened today, she does come across as level headed and not afraid to admit a lot. Even ken was surprised she said she didn't have the mentality. Good interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭CiaranW

The lads played Ikke Huftgold - Uhren Sohn again today. And yes I listened to the song about 10 times on YouTube again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

That Terry Fenwick interview was a tough listen trying not to cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Would give US Murph a miss today if you're watching the Jordan documentary without knowing the full history. I regret listening.

kilns wrote: »
    That Terry Fenwick interview was a tough listen trying not to cringe

I would love to have seen Ken and Eoin's face when the conspiracy theories started. Ken stoking the fires too was fantastic. Just letting Fenwick ramble on.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Would give US Murph a miss today if you're watching the Jordan documentary without knowing the full history. I regret listening.

Ah ****e. Was gonna listen to the pod on my run. Any idea how many minutes in US Murph appears?

• Advertisement

Ah ****e. Was gonna listen to the pod on my run. Any idea how many minutes in US Murph appears?

Most of it, I think :pac:

He mentioned a few things which maybe aren't spoilers for everyone, but I'd rather not have known. Then at the end when the lads said they might be potential spoilers he gave a massive spoiler for some reason. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Can you spoil something that actually happened in real life?

Well, yeah.. You don't think it's possible to spoil a documentary?

I get what you mean, but there was some stuff I wasn't aware of/forgot that I'd prefer not to have known going into the last few episodes. It's not the end of the world, just said I'd mention it here to warn others just in case they were in the same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I wonder if next time I see a hare will the noise happen in my head? Bet it does.

Well, yeah.. You don't think it's possible to spoil a documentary?

I get what you mean, but there was some stuff I wasn't aware of/forgot that I'd prefer not to have known going into the last few episodes. It's not the end of the world, just said I'd mention it here to warn others just in case they were in the same boat.

Also all the episodes haven't been released. I'm really enjoying the documentary, maybe more so because I don't have a clue about any of the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

If anyone has watched Space Jam, they can listen to it!
    After his father's murder, he quits basketball for baseball. He gets abducted by a group of 2D cartoon character in the middle of baseball game. He successfully leads a group of superstars, cartoon characters and Bill Murray in a game against some aliens. Can't wait to see how the doc talks about this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I vaguely knew some of the things, but had forgotten. I think the lads should have given a few warnings about spoilers.

I thought the fenwich interview was great craic. Ha.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pity Ken didn't remember the Euro 96 games when Fenwick was on.

Watching that Jordan speech, f*cking hell, it's exactly like that Father Ted score settling speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The oversized suits are so feckin gas

Just watched the highlights of that Euro 96 match, England were actually really dirty.

• Advertisement

yermandan wrote: »
    The oversized suits are so feckin gas

FatherlyWearyGnu

Caught up on a weeks worth of episodes this morning, fair play to them, they are being as creative as possible to keep things interesting. Terry Fenwick was gas, fine balance between taking the mickey out of him and probing his thought process. They just about managed it.

Didn’t warm to the US soccer player.

Had been ignoring the DOD episodes but listened to a couple today, kinda amusing actually.

Probably have had my fill of Andy Lee. Nothing against the chap but I don’t think the review boxing match thing translates well to podcast form.

Far from me to judge how anyone should engage with strangers/fans of the podcast, I know it would annoy the hell out of me, but Murph is getting absolutely battered in the 'Egomanic' segment. It's so one sided that it's almost starting to not look like a good idea.

Must be hard with people saying hello the whole time, but Ken seems to be far more on for engaging with people while out. Met him before, nice fella.

pipelaser wrote: »
    Far from me to judge how anyone should engage with strangers/fans of the podcast, I know it would annoy the hell out of me, but Murph is getting absolutely battered in the 'Egomanic' segment. It's so one sided that it's almost starting to not look like a good idea.

Must be hard with people saying hello the whole time, but Ken seems to be far more on for engaging with people while out. Met him before, nice fella.

Really? The whole thing is clearly done in jest to wind each other up.

My mates met Ken out in temple bar before, back in the newstalk days, probably about 10 or 12 years ago. They though a selfie with him would be funny (they were drunk) and they said Ken was sound, he was laughing and saying "what the hell do you want a selfie with ME for!".
    There's no real excuse to be an arséhole in a pub imho. It's a social scenario.

Really? The whole thing is clearly done in jest to wind each other up.

Oh It's highly entertaining! I can tell that they love it, and of course the listeners love it, but I'm hoping it isn't a little too revealing! Its painting Murph in a light that makes me think hes not quite the easy going persona he's built up over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Oh It's highly entertaining! I can tell that they love it, and of course the listeners love it, but I'm hoping it isn't a little too revealing! Its painting Murph in a light that makes me think hes not quite the easy going persona he's built up over the years.

It's also making Ken sound like a bit of an alco.

I think Ken is a man that likes a good night out.

And that's alright.

Ah it’s only a bit a fun. I’ve met them all myself over the years and Murph was by far the warmest. Ken can be very aloof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I find it quite funny that this has been someone's take away from the slot :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement