Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I hate the way Gerry Thornley says pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

There's a "Ireland 1-0 Germany Second Captains Special" podcast out. I was kind of hoping that there would be.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    There's a "Ireland 1-0 Germany Second Captains Special" podcast out. I was kind of hoping that there would be.:)

I thought Eoin sounded a bit shook after last nights events. And rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

foxtrot101 wrote: »

Excellent!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haha that baby crawling towards Ken while he was on the phone to the lads in the studio :pac:

Enjoyed the interview with Bonner, especially the stuff about being introverted and his religious beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Yeah, the Packie Bonner interview was superb. Really interesting guy. Definitely going to pick up his book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It was funny when Bonner said Ken was an extrovert and Ken didn't bother challenging him about it, I think if you put a microphone in front of Ken and ask him about the likes of Mourinho or Rodgers he could ramble on for hours, but I imagine in other situations he would be shy/awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Great interview with Packie Bonner alright - to be honest I've always found it very hard to warm to him on TV but he seemed a lot more at ease on the podcast.

Interesting to hear him open up as well about being introverted etc - quite refreshing to hear as I suspect a lot of sports people would be in the same boat and hate doing media stuff.

Also - nice to hear the Roy Keane 'Video Games' music again....nicely done

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Whatever happened to Trevor Hogan on Second Captains? They used him all the time during the Six Nations in 2014. It's odd that he never makes an appearance now, unless he has some exclusive arrangement with another podcast / radio station. I'm not saying we're missing out on anything; his total absence is just a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Whatever happened to Trevor Hogan on Second Captains? They used him all the time during the Six Nations in 2014. It's odd that he never makes an appearance now, unless he has some exclusive arrangement with another podcast / radio station. I'm not saying we're missing out on anything; his total absence is just a bit strange.

He does be on OTB a lot so maybe he was told to choose one or the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

He does be on OTB a lot so maybe he was told to choose one or the other?
    in fairness, I'd wouldn't say he's a loss. He's hardly the most insightful of analysts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I know I've said this loads of times, but US Murph is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

PIORUN wrote: »
    in fairness, I'd wouldn't say he's a loss. He's hardly the most insightful of analysts

I actually think he provides great contributions. Very intelligent guy, knows his stuff.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I know I've said this loads of times, but US Murph is brilliant.

He can bloody talk, eh? Eoin asks him the briefest of questions and 5 minutes later he's still going. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He can bloody talk, eh? Eoin asks him the briefest of questions and 5 minutes later he's still going. :D

Yeah, I think US Murph is great. Most of the time I, initally, couldn't care less about whatever sports he's going to be talking about, but he's very engaging and gets his deluge of information out in such a way that it usually leads me to exploring for more about whatever he's entertainly blathered about this week.

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, I think US Murph is great. Most of the time I, initally, couldn't care less about whatever sports he's going to be talking about, but he's very engaging and gets his deluge of information out in such a way that it usually leads me to exploring for more about whatever he's entertainly blathered about this week.

Same. Pretty upset that the Cubs lost this week after listening to his billy goat curse stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'd love them to drag US Murph to Ireland and throw him on the live TV show...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

dulpit wrote: »
    I'd love them to drag US Murph to Ireland and throw him on the live TV show...

Yeah, they could take him on a tour of his old Dublin haunts.

I think Ciaran Murphy was spoofing slightly when he said that the Athenry in the song is not Athenry is Galway! Sounded like Ken believed him!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Yeah, they could take him on a tour of his old Dublin haunts.

I think Ciaran Murphy was spoofing slightly when he said that the Athenry in the song is not Athenry is Galway! Sounded like Ken believed him!

Interesting point though by Ken. It's weird how that song has taken over all Irish sporting occasions. There were other songs like You'll Never Walk Alone that you never hear sung anymore.

He's spot on about the rugby media bias too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep...classic and accurate rant by Ken....the Fields of Athenry is now an anthem of doom :D

The football podcast from Monday was excellent all round imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Yep...classic and accurate rant by Ken....the Fields of Athenry is now an anthem of doom :D

The football podcast from Monday was excellent all round imho

I can't remember the exact quote, but I think Ken described "a massive herd of green cattle, mooing out the Fields of Athenry..."

Classic Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Brian Kerr sounded a but, uh, tired and emotional on the the live show last night (second half of the football podcast

[edit] Actually, maybe not. He just seemed to ramble a bit at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Evil_g wrote: »
    Brian Kerr sounded a but, uh, tired and emotional on the the live show last night (second half of the football podcast

[edit] Actually, maybe not. He just seemed to ramble a bit at the start.

He can be hard on the ears at the best of times but there is no doubting his football knowledge.

While he's no Eoin, Ken was pretty good in the presenter's chair for Monday's football podcast. His description of Eoin as a "horse of a man" was funny:

"Slow for a horse... but strong for a man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

The lads are branching out...

http://www.secondcaptains.com/annual/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In case anyone was wondering re: Qatar 2022... & why the French President got Platini & 3 other FIFA votes to side with the gulf state....

1 year later, Qatar announced a tender for new fighter aircraft..... French company 'Dassault' won the contract valued at hefty €6.3bn.

C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

In case anyone was wondering re: Qatar 2022... & why the French President got Platini & 3 other FIFA votes to side with the gulf state....

1 year later, Qatar announced a tender for new fighter aircraft..... French company 'Dassault' won the contract valued at hefty €6.3bn.

C'est la vie.

Hate when they have Gab Marcotti on, terrible pundit! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Hate when they have Gab Marcotti on, terrible pundit! :mad:

His 'nothing to see here' contrarianism-for-the-sake-of-it, is indeed tiring.

Could be wrong, but he seemed to use the Kremlin news agencie's lack of follow-up questioning as some sort of pseudo-defence of Blatter.

Could be wrong, but he seemed to use the Kremlin news agencie's lack of follow-up questioning as some sort of pseudo-defence of Blatter.

Marcotti often makes a point of taking the contrary view of things. Usually it's fine because it makes for an animated debate with Ken and Eoin. Sometimes though... it starts wearing thin. Like last night. His condescending tone at the start of the call really made him sound like a bit of an a**ehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Very well put on both points.

We (the public) aren't clear who "we" (those who agreed the WC should go to America) actually are. The question should have been asked, but it matters little in the context of the actual president agreeing with anyone what the result of a vote should be independently of the actual vote taking place!! Jesus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement