Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rackard wrote: »
    Anyone get the Sports Annual? Got it yesterday - only flicked through it but looks good and there's mountains of stuff in it.

was debating it myself!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Frank Lampard made Jamie Carragher look like Gore Vidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Frank Lampard made Jamie Carragher look like Gore Vidal.

Laughed at that one. Also, kens story about his mate getting dragged out of his hotel by the police. "Good morning sir"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Autumn Wind is a pirate
    Blustering in from sea,
    With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
    Swaggering boisterously.........

I don't think I heard this before on SC? It was on straight after US Murph.

(It's a poem associated with the NFL's Oakland Raiders)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Kind of disappointed that Mark didn't step in with Eoin being away. I always find him a better stand-in host than Ken or Murph...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

dulpit wrote: »
    Kind of disappointed that Mark didn't step in with Eoin being away. I always find him a better stand-in host than Ken or Murph...

Ken struggles to self edit a bit.... it felt weird him finishing his own contributor slot, as the host.

The Golden State Warriors lost on Friday......

Hopefully we can go back to forgetting the NBA actually exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The Golden State Warriors lost on Friday......

Hopefully we can go back to forgetting the NBA actually exists!
    Speak for yourself. Basketball is a sport that is quite popular in Ireland and many people on this isle have an interest in the NBA. What the Warriors have done is comparable to Jordan and the Bulls in their prime. US Murph is a recurring fixture of the podcast, and if he's going to be on I'd prefer him to be talking about basketball than baseball and American football, sports which we have no real connection to. I think Murphs great btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

buyer95 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. Basketball is a sport that is quite popular in Ireland and many people on this isle have an interest in the NBA. What the Warriors have done is comparable to Jordan and the Bulls in their prime. US Murph is a recurring fixture of the podcast, and if he's going to be on I'd prefer him to be talking about basketball than baseball and American football, sports which we have no real connection to. I think Murphs great btw

I agree completely, I'd happily listen to us murph talk about anything. But Basketball is probably the only major us sport that I would follow. Baseball, ice hockey are a bit dull. I enjoy the highlights of American football but wouldn't watch a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

buyer95 wrote: »

Ireland has more connection to Baseball, American Football, Ice Hockey than Basketball surely!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ireland has more connection to Baseball, American Football, Ice Hockey than Basketball surely!

Basketball is a pretty well established sport in it's own right here. Can't say that about any of the other ones.

Basketball is a pretty well established sport in it's own right here. Can't say that about any of the other ones.

Yeah of course, played basketball myself and none of the other games, but was buyer not talking about our Irish connection to sports though? No worries if not.

Yeah of course, played basketball myself and none of the other games, but was buyer not talking about our Irish connection to sports though? No worries if not.

Maybe but I don't see what connection we have to those sports? Is there a history of Irish people playing for US teams?
    The only obvious connection I can think of is the Boston Celtics which is again basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Sorry to say it because I do like his comedy but a lot of Murph’s "serious" contributions have been a bit off lately, particularly with rugby related stuff.

Very strange political correctness gone mad attitude to Tyson Fury as well. The line seems to be that we shouldn’t claim him as Irish, not because of the bigoted views but because he was born and reared in Manchester, but what about regular guest Matthew Macklin - hasn’t he a similar background? And they weren’t too impressed with Donald McRae who had obviously been brought on to do a hatchet job. I didn’t know much about the dysfunctional home life, father in prison, leaving school at 9 years old etc. Didn’t seem to fit the show’s agenda though – disappointing.

Maybe but I don't see what connection we have to those sports? Is there a history of Irish people playing for US teams?
    The only obvious connection I can think of is the Boston Celtics which is again basketball.

Baseball originated from GAA Rounders, good few Irish played the game too.

Ice Hockey from hurling. (Irish emigrants played hurling on frozen lakes in Canada)

American Football has a huge amount of Irish-American players/coaches. A few Irish have played in the NFL too I believe. Notre Dame And Patriots would be big 'Irish' teams also.

I can only think of Celtics in Basketball as a connection.

Baseball originated from GAA Rounders, good few Irish played the game too.

Ice Hockey from hurling. (Irish emigrants played hurling on frozen lakes in Canada)

American Football has a huge amount of Irish-American players/coaches. A few Irish have played in the NFL too I believe. Notre Dame And Patriots would be big 'Irish' teams also.

I can only think of Celtics in Basketball as a connection.

Hockey and baseball are mongrel sports. They have their roots in a variety of sports from a variety of countries. It's a pretty tenuous link to imply the modern day versions of those sports are more relevant in Ireland.

I'd say the popularity of certain video games have contributed more to the interest in American sports than historical links. I also remember ice hockey getting very popular in the 90's with kids playing roller hockey all off the back of the Mighty Ducks films.

The NFL is a massive marketing machine and I'm sure gambling has also helped it's popularity in recent years.

As I said before basketball is a sport that exists at a variety of levels in Ireland and interest in it seems to exist outside of the NBA games.

All that said it's really down to personal interests. The same can be said for the other sport they cover on the show. There's no real need to talk GAA about 45 weeks of the year. Interest in rugby peaks around Internationals, I'm sure.

By connection I meant was that many people play it on this island, and in pockets like Cork (Demons and Neptune) Galway(Moycullen, Maree) Dublin(Killester, Swords, Templeogue etc) it is also very big in Kerry. They lost 2 super league teams in Killarney and Tralee, but basketball is still big in the county in those towns, and in places like Castleisland(which holds a basketball blitz ever year that over 1500 people from around Kerry play in). It's popular in Limerick, Mayo, Belfast, Donegal. After football, hurling, soccer and rugby is the next most popular participatory sport. It is fair to say that we have more of a connection to the game than baseball and American Football.
    What the Warriors did was historic and 100% deserved the time it was allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't forget to buy the annual.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken ranting about Mourinho was great, especially the fight with the doctor "exposed him as a spiteful, petty, vindictive little arsehole"

Also his reference Willian being shagadelic was hilarious, it's the reason why I think they are better than everyone else.

Ken was absolutely fantastic in the football podcast. Really top stuff.

• Advertisement

book reviews were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

book reviews were great too.

Lack of ken was disappointing though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Listen to Blatter, it doesn't matter.:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The Christmas interview with US Murph was proper great. A really interesting story well told with a little bit of romance thrown in.

Amazing singing at the end too!

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Amazing singing at the end too!

I was listening to it in the car today, I couldn't believe that Ken was singing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I was listening to it in the car today, I couldn't believe that Ken was singing!

You must be relatively new to the show...

Just logged in to say the annual is excellent. Some great long form pieces mixed in with funny anecdotes and stories. Kens writing is fantastic in it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The Christmas Pudding show was brilliant, but I think the new years one is even better.

Did the top 5 remixes, as recently discussed here.

For my money, the angry fans one is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    For my money, the angry fans one is the best.

What's the Scottish angry fan clip from? I'd like to hear/watch the whole lot...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    What's the Scottish angry fan clip from? I'd like to hear/watch the whole lot...

I believe it's this guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement