Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I wish they'd scrap the PBeso's, once you've heard one eejit trying to prove how "mad" they are you've heard them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Just to throw it out there -

Does anyone listen to another <sports> podcast which you'd recommend?

I've given up on the several specific sport podcasts as they don't hold my attention for long enough, and I stick with the Second Captains football pod as I like the lads and they delve into Irish related stories.

So, is there anything similar to the variety of the SC Sports Podcast?

American or UK based, doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

connundrum wrote: »

I've given up on the several specific sport podcasts as they don't hold my attention for long enough, and I stick with the Second Captains football pod as I like the lads and they delve into Irish related stories.

Football weekly is good for soccer but has gone a bit down hill recently. I've got into listening to some of the Off the Ball podcast over the last couple months as I don't get to listen on the radio. Some pieces they do are really good and the football show has decent interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

connundrum wrote: »

Men in Blazers is a pretty good US based UK football podcast, hosted by two ex-pat Brits. One of the guys has a nice slightly poeticly off the wall style, a bit Kenesque, he's funny in a dry way, which is great. They can frequently have high quality guests. I'd probably vouch for those guys.

The quality of Football weekly has declined a lot of late and the football ramble wore thin on me a few years ago. Off The Ball can sometimes be good, totally depends on the guests and subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I love Football Weekly, but I had thought to myself it's been less...good...lately. Anyone care to suggest why this might be?

Delighted Barry's back, that probably had something to do with it.

I have noticed I'm an awful lot more narky myself recently, that might be part of it too.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I love Football Weekly, but I had thought to myself it's been less...good...lately. Anyone care to suggest why this might be?

Delighted Barry's back, that probably had something to do with it.

I have noticed I'm an awful lot more narky myself recently, that might be part of it too.

They just seem to grab whoever is free in the office on the day and regardless of what they know instead of some of the better more regular contributors they had in the past such as Jonathan Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It feels like they're just going through the motions IMO. It's become a basic run through of last weekend's Premier League results and preview of next weekend's. Even when they call Sid Lowe it seems like James just asks him one question about whatever the big story is that week at Madrid/Barca then cuts him off. I think maybe Jimbo, Barry and co have become tired of doing the same show for years and the show has started to suffer.

I think they could do with a change to the format. Maybe more features. Get Paul Doyle in to tell us how Eritrea and Chad are getting on in the African World Cup qualifiers or Paolo Bandini about Sassuolo's rise from Serie C2 to the top 6 of Serie A. Anything but them telling us that Aston Villa lost last week and will probably lose again next week.

These days James' film reviews are more entertaining than the pod.

Like the previous poster has said, a lot of it has to do with the personel. James Richardson is still great, but there's many a week that there isn't a single football journalist on the panel. People try their best, and it's never truly unlistenable but I don't feel like I'm missing out on a great deal if I skip an episode, and it would have been the first podcast of any descriotion that I listened to religiously.The difference in quality is noticable when someone like Johnathan Wilson or even Michael Cox is on.

Some people love Barry Glenndining, but I think he's a spoofer of the highest order. He can be funny the odd time, but I'd rather hear some great analysis about football, than some lad cracking jokes. Those types of guys are everywhere - down the pub, driving taxis, etc, etc...

I could just be tired of the format, but I think they've been pretty complacent for a few years. They attract a massive audience without a whole lot, so I think they might have stopped trying just a little as the time has passed. I think the complacency is particularly bad during international breaks or cup weekends, when you usually hear all about their complete lack of interest. A bit of a shame really, it's all football at the end of the day. At least Second Captains and, to it's credit, Off The Ball give everything a fair talking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I still subscribe to Football Weekly on my podcasts and don't feel it has deteriorated enough to unsubscribe. James Richardson is one of the best in the business.

My feeling is that FW is perhaps a victim of its own success and its agenda is dictated accordingly. It sticks to a formula that works because like it or not a lot of football fans would rather listen to the man on the street level of analysis with a bit of banter thrown in. That's where Barry Glendenning comes in. He doesn't offer anything particularly insightful but his input fits the format of the show.

Another poster mentioned Sid Lowe's contributions. Contrast the contributions Lowe makes to Second Captains with the input he gives to FW and you'll find your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

So, like, in quick summary, there is no other recommendable 'general sports' podcast? No wonder SC do so well! :pac:

I do have all of OTB's podcasts subscribed too, and find them good when I can't catch it live.

Was just looking to broaden the horizon.. mainly away from Gerry Thornly :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Best 'report on sport' to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Sam
    That's all
    Vokes :D

I'd say Ken put more work into that round up than most of his written pieces :pac:

I also enjoyed his description of the Ipswich/Portsmouth game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Sam
    That's all
    Vokes :D

I'd say Ken put more work into that round up than most of his written pieces :pac:

Monkey-hangers. Brilliant.

Nice touch to end with Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Football Weekly is great, it does have good journalists on. I like hearing about games and teams outside the top 4 or 5 in the premier league.

So many good puns from ken it was hard to keep track. Definitely best report on sport yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

If you what more goooools vote now....

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

The African football reporter got way too much air time in the podcast for what was a pretty much nothing story. It started to sound like a Joe Duffy phone call as he repeated the same thing over and over.

Paraphrasing this bit, ken and richie talking about players trying to get other players booked:

"Simulating a card is such a weasley thing to do"
    "Would you do it Ken"
    "Yes"
    "Why is it ok for you to do it and not other players"
    "Because I'm not a professional sportsman with a winning mentality"
    "What are you?"
    "I'm a weasel"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I was shocked to hear that people didn't like Ken's coverage of all the cup goals. I thought it was fantastic.

It's not the type of think you'd want to hear every week, but I think it would be good after each cup round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Massive fan of Second Captains but I didn't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I was shocked to hear that people didn't like Ken's coverage of all the cup goals. I thought it was fantastic.

It's not the type of think you'd want to hear every week, but I think it would be good after each cup round.

I didn't like it and flicked passed it after a few minutes.

Love the podcasts tho, plan my Monday and Thursday evenings around them :)

I enjoyed the mammoth goal report, some of the punning was top-notch, but I think the boys were well tired of it themselves by the time it was two-thirds through!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Personally, as I said I didn't like it. BUT you have to wonder who the people are who actually took the time to go and moan on Twitter to them about the content on a free podcast...they must have no lives at all. It's the best football pod out there. I listen to it and FW religiously....and OTB most days.

I liked it, but no need to do it again.

I cant have been the only one who was screaming KAKA!! internally in their head.

Arghus wrote: »
    I cant have been the only one who was screaming KAKA!! internally in their head.

I was shouting Cannavaro

Not a big fan of the new Eoin mix, didn't help that an interview with Gab Marcotti followed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Not a big fan of the new Eoin mix, didn't help that an interview with Gab Marcotti followed it!

I thought it wasn't too hot... it might be a grower!

Why does Gab always sound like he's after completing a marathon gets on the phone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement